moog-esque sounds!! help please!!!!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:58 am

Phasing.

(I have an MXR Phase 100)

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:03 am

I'd have to say phasing, too. The MF-103, of course!

...though ring modulation is always fun...

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:13 pm

Reverb. My second fave is delay.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

this_poison

Post by this_poison » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:31 pm

Technosaurus Effexon - Ring Modulator, Parametric and Overdrive in one.

Painful connections though.

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:03 pm

A well applied fuzz is always nice. I'm fond of the EH Big Muff for this task. I also like a good reverb, but then again, who doesn't?
-Tyler2000-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

nicholas d. kent

Post by nicholas d. kent » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:14 pm

this_poison wrote:
There are a lot of Korg patches on the net, so the easiest thing is to download as many as you can find, turn off the effects (which are the all-swamping basis for too many MicroKorg presets) and find something close enough to tweak.

It's a chore, but may yield the sounds you want.

:D
I don't own one but I still am convinced the microkorg isn't going to come very close. The filter just isn't close to a Moog filter and people call a sound "Moog-like" because of it's filter sound. One way of thinking of it is each synth makes a range of sounds through programming. Most synths have some overlap, they have some sounds they can make that are very close to some sound other synths make. How close is a matter of opinion, but user synth programming has finite boundaries (I'm not talking about computer code, I'm talking about adjusting built in parameters) and there are going to be a lot of sounds two rather different synths make that aren't shared. That's sort of why people usually buy a few synths.

Generally good effects make everything sound better but not like anything else in specific (yet).

If you had a virtual synth trying to copy a Moog filter, say an Micron comes to mind, you might very well get something with those sounds that you won't worry about gigging.
this_poison wrote:
Best thing about the MicroKorg is its size - I brought one back from Boston to the UK in a suitcase - $299 well spent !

:D

Umm... I've gigged with a synthi AKS, it IS a suitcase ;-)

but I had to put it in another suitcase to protect it... and then never let it out of my sight for an instant (I think someone stole a video projector during my gig)

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:51 pm

nicholas d. kent wrote:
this_poison wrote: (I think someone stole a video projector during my gig)
Think?

So does that mean you possibly might have left it at the venue?
or rather you have so many projectors that having one gone missing leads you to think that one, perhaps, might have been stolen?

hehe

this_poison

Post by this_poison » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:54 am

I don't own one but I still am convinced the microkorg isn't going to come very close. The filter just isn't close to a Moog filter and people call a sound "Moog-like" because of it's filter sound.
I don't disagree Nicholas, particularly through a good pair of monitors or speakers (although all Moogs are not equal and it's not just the filter).

Klaus was talking about going out touring, and that really evens things out.
I'm sure you've experienced the sonic demolition metered out by a typical "just plug straight in there son" PA!

Maybe the Micron is a better bet, I've not got one, but I'd kill for a Synthi or a VCS3 - they're just silly money now.