Memorymoog or Prophet 12

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Bald Eagle

Re: Memorymoog or Prophet 12

Post by Bald Eagle » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:49 am

I have a P12 and would prefer it over a Memorymoog. It has more sonic possibilities in my opinion. I won't disagree that the P12 can sound a bit digital and that's fine with me. It can be tweaked to sound more analog and you can always layer an analog synth with it to really add some character. I often layer in my Sub Phatty as well as other synths.

I'm not a big fan of the analog vs digital vs hybrid debate. Each has a unique character and serves a purpose. I don't know why anyone would want to limit their creative choices to only one type of technology.

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:16 am

Bald Eagle wrote:.... I don't know why anyone would want to limit their creative choices to only one type of technology.
In general, yes, there shouldn't be any limitation but even in the early days in the 80s I said to myself life is short and the analog area is so tremendously vast that I'd have enough to do with for a lifetime. Imagine, there's not only tweaking, there's a lot of music to make and that has been the priority for me. Not to mention that I'm playing other instruments and being very active in a band. That's why I always rejected to go for a modular or even digital as I was affraid to lose to much lifetime for. This is kind of "other side of the medal" :wink:
Last edited by megavoice on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:15 am

Bald Eagle wrote: I'm not a big fan of the analog vs digital vs hybrid debate. Each has a unique character and serves a purpose. I don't know why anyone would want to limit their creative choices to only one type of technology.
My opinion is that limitation and simplicity is a good thing with respect to art and especially music, so why not limit yourself to the very best of the best, which is analog, I hope we can all agree.

I, somewhat arbitrarily, limit myself to only analog sound sources, effects, and recorders, because that limitation and knowing everything like the back of your hand inspires creativity for me, and already have an infinity of options, even within a limited framework.There is just way too many options out there, you have to just pick the best and stick with it to cultivate your style, IMO.

I really don't understand how people with 20 hardware synths and tons of plug ins and sequencers (or even huge modulars) can manage all of them and still be satisfied that they are getting the most out of every one. I think most of the time they are just picking presets, otherwise how could they possibly find time to make music?

So my philosophy is of minimalism, use only the very best of your options and exploit what makes them the best. But I do live/improv with real drum kit and no sequencers, and come from a jazz background, so YMMV.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Unfiltered37, you've mentioned something that had me realize that most people with modular systems don't often make music with them, but rather explore the vast sonic realm of analog subtractive synthesis, and that's perfectly okay.

And that most musicians, myself excluded, rely solely on factory presets, which are too often crappy, to evaluate a machine or create music with it.Pity.

I also use a limited amount of machines to create my music. But I do take the time to try and get the most out of them by "programming" them myself. Sometimes spending hours on trying to get the sound I want. And if one machine can't, then I try to get closer with another one. Not every synth allows all kinds of modulation routing, unless it's a modular.

And when it comes to digital, I'm not totally agains't it. Especially when it comes to effects. I don't want too high a noise floor in the audio chain. But most of my digital effects are there to be discrete and better the sounds, not mask them. I don't like the bit crusher effect for example.

I even have a VA in my arsenal ! :shock: But the way I use it, one would be hard pressed to spot it in my music, unless I tell what it played. Why do I have a VA ? Because it can do what I need when I need it.

So I understand when someone might say that he, or she, likes digital synths because that's the kind of sounds he, or she, is looking for. It's just that these kinds of timbres are not my cup of tea.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:16 pm

I think that as far as collecting musical gear goes, it can be addictive and often one falls victim to gear acquisition in favor of creativity. You can get in over your head easily. I know a guy, a guitar player, with 20 guitars and about 15 vintage synths, he doesn't even play his ARP 2600. I sold him something one time, and was telling him how great the model D is and how i think it is the best instrument ever made, and he said "eh, I have one, it's okay but I've heard better". Then I fired mine up and proceeded to show him things he never even bothered to do on it and thoroughly impressed him with some patches, and got him to say "damn that's beautiful". So too much gear can be a bad thing for creativity. "Simplicity elevates" is my favorite Bob quote.

I got no problem with digital, if there is no access to good analog, but I will always pick good analog over digital.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:23 pm

I collect for options. If theres a need for a sax part, or synthetic atmospheric soundscapes, that option is available. No need to substitute a preset for electric pianos or whatever. It's just another color for the palette. And one thing that brings me a lot of joy to think about is that when my son gets old enough, he will have a musical playground to explore if he wants.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Wesley

Post by Wesley » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:15 am

The day I bought my Memorymoog, I had gone to the store to buy a Prophet 5 (1983). The Moog was sitting next to the Prophet, so I did a side-by-side comparison. Needless to say, the Prophet stayed in the store. And they were about the same price.

I don't think the Prophet 12 sounds as nice as the Memorymoog either, although it is a good machine.

So my answer to the original question is: Memorymoog.

analogmadness

Post by analogmadness » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:26 pm

I cant say much about the P12 as i havent played on one yet. I have a MM+ and have had about 3 P8's. I can say that im fortuned enough to not have to sell my MM+ but if i needed to the P8 and a mild clusterfux sounds pretty awsome for a fraction of the price of the MM+. But still the MM+ and the P8 can go bad only the MM+'s service will cost more. Ill fill in when i get my hands on a P12.

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:16 pm

analogmadness wrote:I cant say much about the P12 as i havent played on one yet. I have a MM+ and have had about 3 P8's. I can say that im fortuned enough to not have to sell my MM+ but if i needed to the P8 and a mild clusterfux sounds pretty awsome for a fraction of the price of the MM+. But still the MM+ and the P8 can go bad only the MM+'s service will cost more. Ill fill in when i get my hands on a P12.
Just tell me please, how would you chartacterize, both the P 08 and the MM if you compare them, only the sound.......
Years ago some people maintained there are strong similarities as for their sounds. :D
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

MC

Post by MC » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:51 pm

megavoice wrote:how would you chartacterize, both the P 08 and the MM if you compare them, only the sound.......
Years ago some people maintained there are strong similarities as for their sounds. :D
I own a MM+ and have played a P'08. I wouldn't call them similar in the least...
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

analogmadness

Post by analogmadness » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:37 pm

Shure the P8 on its own cant match the power of a MM+ soundwise, but for those 80's brass pads the P8 in combination whit a mild clustefux sounds pretty awsome to me. Then again the MM+ brass on its own blows me away 8)

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:52 pm

Thats' one thing that irritated me when I tried a P08 for a while, I often found myself needing to stack voices or add an effect to a patch in order to get a meatier, fuller sound... :roll:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:47 am

Interesting...............GO on, the others........... :D
**** with everyone.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:52 pm

To muddy the waters a bit, there is a rack version of the Prophet 12 under development:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/ ... rophet-12/

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:59 pm

unfiltered37 wrote: My opinion is that limitation and simplicity is a good thing with respect to art and especially music, so why not limit yourself to the very best of the best, which is analog, I hope we can all agree.
I use a digital sampling device (Octatrack) and digital effects along with my analog gear, so I'm going to have to disagree. :wink: