Memorymoog or Prophet 12

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
thealien666

Re: Memorymoog or Prophet 12

Post by thealien666 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:30 pm

MC, you can disable it... :mrgreen:

(right click on a word, under Spelling and Grammar => Check spelling while typing) :wink:

But you probably knew that...

Me, I have to force new words down its throat all the time by clicking "Add to dictionary" ! :lol:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:31 pm

Mine tend to change after the fact....:)

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:34 pm

I hate it when computer are devious like that ! :x
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:48 am

unfiltered37 wrote:But other than that, I am not impressed with the sound of any DSI synths (other than the tempest, if you call that a synth). His synths are pretty cool for hardware digital, but not for analog. He might as well go full digital, the analog part is just for gimmick IMO.
If you use very inexpensive components on a synth, it doesn't matter if it's analog or digital. Either way it still sounds like crap.

One of the great things about the current Moog company is the quality of components that are used. The sound is amongst the best out there. I wish Moog had always remained that reliable...

Stephen

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:03 am

Well, most of what is said first is spoken out of my heart.
Both in a setup would be, of course, ideal.
For me there are two chellenges, either a BIG sound like with the MM to achieve, and on the other side the huge modulation capabilities with the 12.
Both are most inspiring attributes.
I'd like to have seen if people would have some more prefereces. :D
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:08 am

Other great analog synths include the Oberheim ObXa, Xpander and matrix 12, Jupiter 8, Jupiter 6, etc.. I like the Moog Voyager and love the old Minimoog model D. In my mind an analog oscillator blows away a digital oscillator. Which is why I'd go for a Prophet 08 or even a Poly Evolver (with both digital and analog oscillators) The Memorymoog is an awesome synth but they have been known to be a headache in terms of upkeep, same as the Polymoog.. Sequential and DSI and Oberheim and Roland were much better at the polyphonic synth building, probably.
Minimoog Model D, Roland SH-1, Simmons SDS-8, Rhodes 73 suitcase, Ludwig/Gretsch Drums, Zildjian/Paiste/UFIP cymbals, Various acoustic percussive effects

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:53 am

Electrong wrote:Other great analog synths include the Oberheim ObXa, Xpander and matrix 12, Jupiter 8, Jupiter 6, etc.. I like the Moog Voyager and love the old Minimoog model D. In my mind an analog oscillator blows away a digital oscillator. Which is why I'd go for a Prophet 08 or even a Poly Evolver (with both digital and analog oscillators) The Memorymoog is an awesome synth but they have been known to be a headache in terms of upkeep, same as the Polymoog.. Sequential and DSI and Oberheim and Roland were much better at the polyphonic synth building, probably.
Yes, most of what you are telling is true. As for the MM you have to get one that isn't been fixed to death by an unskilled tech. There are some special chips inside but as it seems they don't get broken that often. And it MUST be upgraded for reliability and stable tuning. That's it.
And yes, the P 08, I'm going to buy a second one in the next time (Desktop) for stacking sound and polychaining......... :D
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:30 pm

Having owned an Evolver and also auditioned the 08 and 12 in the stores, I would have a very difficult time purchasing anything from Mr. Smith.

But that's just me, I prefer quality (whether it's digital or analog) in my sounds.

Stephen

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:27 pm

It's weird how analog has just been used as a marketing technique, like with DSI and Arturia, but make products that don't sound particularly analog. Or at least no more than the better plug ins or virtual analog synths.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:47 pm

unfiltered37 wrote:It's weird how analog has just been used as a marketing technique, like with DSI and Arturia, but make products that don't sound particularly analog. Or at least no more than the better plug ins or virtual analog synths.
I wouldn't say its weird. With the recent resurgence in analog synths everyone wants a piece of it and they will push the analog side of their products any way they can.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:10 pm

Sometimes there's a huge difference between modern analog, and vintage analog. I prefer the ladder...uh, latter. :lol:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:23 am

thealien666 wrote:Sometimes there's a huge difference between modern analog, and vintage analog. I prefer the ladder...uh, latter. :lol:
That's absolutely the point, mate !!!!! As it seems, most people don't realize this.........
The P 08 sounds VERY digital to me, but different, and I'm enjoing this nonetheless. But when you know how to tweak, it sounds extremely fat. If this wouldn't be the case I wouldn't keep him.
As I've said previously: I have a very relaxed relationship to synths. Either the Moogs and some others as well are giving me what I want.
Isn't it good to have several "varities" and choices between ??????
I like fair haired, black and brown haired ladies just the same :D :D :D ....................
**** with everyone.

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:45 am

Just to chime in here with another opinion, I've owned a couple DSI synths (Tetra, P8) and tested others (Mopho, x4, p12) and I currently have none of them. ha. I found I can get my Virus TI to sound as good as (or better than) the DSI synths, and if you're looking for extensive modulation capabilities, few things rival the Virus. I know it's all digital, but honestly none of the DSI synths sounded any more "analog" than the Virus to my ears. Since I have a Voyager, Phatty, and Minitaur, I'm quite familiar with analog sound, and DSI just didn't cut it for me. I would love to check out an A6 someday (never heard one live). The Virus is nice too because, unlike the DSI, it covers lots of digital territory as well. To date, it is my favorite machine for trippy ambient textures and noise (I think adding an iPad with Animoog to it would make the ultimate duo).

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:06 pm

To be honest, and not to put anybody down or anything, when comparing vintage analog to modern analog, or even VA, you need to be really able to.

Meaning that not everyone can tell the sonic difference between a Stradivari or Il Canone and a $2K violin. :wink:
(don't worry, I can't either. I don't know much about violins. I know vintage synths and drums. :mrgreen: )
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:23 am

thealien666 wrote:To be honest, and not to put anybody down or anything, when comparing vintage analog to modern analog, or even VA, you need to be really able to.

Meaning that not everyone can tell the sonic difference between a Stradivari or Il Canone and a $2K violin. :wink:
(don't worry, I can't either. I don't know much about violins. I know vintage synths and drums. :mrgreen: )
To a certain degree thats's the point. Many, especially young people never had an old vintage so they're not able only from this to compare.
But on the other side I'm maintaining it's VERY, VERY easy as, i.ex the differences in basic sound between a Chroma and a P0 8 are so huge and significant that at the end it is possible to observe by everyone. Maybe differences Between a P5 and a P08 are smaller but also easy to perceive.

Just the same with the Stradivaris. If you're listening long enough to them, after a while many people can racognize the difference, and those people who cannot won't be able for their lifetime. For assesed people it's only a question of training.
There had been done experiments I've watched on TV.
**** with everyone.