Aquatarkus solo attempt...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
noddyspuncture

Aquatarkus solo attempt...

Post by noddyspuncture » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:43 am

Hi guys,

Here's my attempt at the 'AquaTarkus' solo from WBMFTTSTNE. Been practicing this on the Modular... and cutting between the different sounds using my own customized patch 'preset' methods... it seems to work. Gonna be a good one this, "live".

To make it more interesting for you (and a little more challenging for me) I also tried keeping *the band* going with bass lines whenever possible in between the knob twiddling etc... and also some 'wind noise' via the in-built Minimoog...!

Hope you like... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJY8SZUC8f4

Cheers,
TOM

IgorCristo

Re: Aquatarkus solo attempt...

Post by IgorCristo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:08 am

Attempt?

This was great! Nice playing!!

I can play things like this too, I just don't have time to practice anymore. Medschool is killing me!

Thanks for sharing this and reminding me of "good old days".

I'd really like to hear a final version of this, with some drums on the background. :)
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

noddyspuncture

Post by noddyspuncture » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:27 am

Hehe... you'll have to come to one of our gigs then, Igor.... :D

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:20 pm

Sounds great. It's not absolutely there yet, as I think you acknowledge in your original post, but then it must be incredibly difficult to play it without the bass and drums. When you play that with the rest of your band it should be amazing.

I like the fact that you played it pretty much straight, but still had your own bit of freak out near the end.

Did you do the bit where Emerson pulled out the lead to one of the oscillators and let it drone? I missed that (probably while signing in to write this) and I can't remember where abouts it comes?

Anyway, I'd love to hear this live - it's one of my all time favourite synth solos. I think you're in Britain somewhere?
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:08 pm

Nice job. I like that it is not note for note, the quote is there but it has your style on it. Remember Keith was quoting Dick Hyman in there. I have heard other live versions and he does not do it the same :). It is supposed to be a free style solo, so you can stick to the basic melody but expand from there as you feel in the performance, each one will be different. As for the done, from what I’ve read Keith disconnected two osc's for the drone while the third was used for the solo, in the second section he reconnects the two droning osc's then after the descending line doubles on the MiniMoog.

Have fun

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:43 pm

Nice vid, enjoyed watching! Thanks for posting.

One of the most memorable recordings of the ELP live "Welcome Back" was the quadraphonic one. I had the recording on a discrete quad 8-track. Quite different because most of the live recording was from the front two speakers, with a very realistic reverb/hall in the back speakers. Untill those Moog solos that would circle around the four speakers. (Cool effect!) The mix was different too as sometimes the Minimoog was in the back speakers, so there was a seperation not present in the standard stereo recording. At times hearing just the bass lines on Karn Evil 9 and the second part on the Mini of that Aquatarkus solo. The drone on Aquatarkus circled around the speakers too. Great recording if you can find it and set up the quad speakers. The live show was of course done in quad too. Ah...the 70's!

For an explanition of the various Emerson settings, there was the old 1995 Gene Stopp text file on hyperreal.org that explained a lot.
Text file from Gene Stopp explaining Emerson modular settings
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

ARP

Post by ARP » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:23 pm

:D That was awesome ! well played & your Moog sounds great !
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"