sampler question

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
namahshaman

sampler question

Post by namahshaman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:46 am

Greetings, Foogers.

I have a non-moog question for all of my favorite gearheads out there.

I currently use a Korg Electribe SX for triggering samples live (with my band, Transmute). We are a psychedelic-progressive-post-rock-metal band, ha.

I use the sampler to trigger mostly spoken-word samples of our favorite thinkers/philosophers (i.e. Alan Watts). I enjoy using the filter cutoff, delay, pitch-knob, and reverse effect on-the-fly when I'm triggering these samples live.

Since that's all I use the ESX for, is there a simpler unit I could be using to trigger and manipulate these samples?

I've seen the Roland SP404sx and the Akai MPC1000, but have not had the pleasure of testing these units in person. Would either of these be a good replacement? Do they offer the same type of hands-on manipulation? Any other ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Kenneth

Re: sampler question

Post by Kenneth » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:20 pm

People trash talk the Electribe line all the time, but for me they have always been very easy to use and intuitively laid out. They also have their own kind of sound, sort of lo-fi and grainy. I would stick to what you've got, unless you have a specific reason why you don't want to use the Electribe anymore. Care to elaborate?
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:42 am

Don't get me wrong, I like the Electribe, and I'll keep it for other things. For my band project, however, I'm trying to streamline my live rig. The ESX takes up quite a bit of real-estate. Plus, I only use it for one thing, so I thought I'd just seek out a simpler solution.

I've had a couple folks recommend just using an iPad with a good sampling app... which I would totally try if I already had an iPad, ha. Of course, unlike some of these replacements, the iPad serves many other functions as a tool.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:48 am

Yeah, the iPad is useful all right, but the thing about that is, it's only going to last you 3-4 years if you treat it nice. Buy an actual piece of hardware and you'll have it for five, ten, twenty years.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30