Just got Model D #547x and need advice.

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
agitprop

Just got Model D #547x and need advice.

Post by agitprop » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:55 pm

Stumbled across an all original Model D, which hadn't been touched in decades. Bought it immediately.

I am primarily a sequencer user, so getting this thing connected to either Ableton or my MPC3000 would be great, and I can afford the Lintronics MIDI Converter, BUT. . . I also don't want to damage something that has real historical value, just to make my life a little easier.

What is the Moog community's wisdom on this decision? Are there enough of these things in existence that it isn't wrong to add a useful mod like the LMC?

CZ Rider

Re: Just got Model D #547x and need advice.

Post by CZ Rider » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:22 pm

It's up to the end user, really.
Drilling holes to put a MIDI interface was more of a 90's thing. Back then there were not as many options as there are today in a MIDI to CV converter.
I would look at some of the standalone MIDI to CV converters out there. These could be used on any mono synth with the proper CV inputs. That makes the MIDI converter more valuable as you can use it on more than just the one mono synth.
Right now I have a Kenton Pro Solo Mk2. I can MIDI any mono synth with that, from a Moog Modular to a Korg MS-20. If the MIDI converter was built in, I could only use it with that synth, and that synth would not be original and could loose value because it is modded..
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

agitprop

Post by agitprop » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Thanks for the detailed feedback, CZ!

I actually just ordered a Pro-Solo MkII, earlier this week, to use with a Sequential Circuits Pro-One, but I read a comment somewhere online yesterday that the Pro-Solo doesn't do Glide on Minimoog and recommending an internal mod. I would be overjoyed to learn that claim is wrong, and so I have no good reason to butcher this beautiful synth :-)

MC

Post by MC » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:58 pm

I have the LMC in my model D and I love it.

The only new holes are on the rear panel, one for MIDI out and one for noise/LFO selection. No new holes on the front panel.

It's a VERY worthy addition to a model D.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:55 pm

You'll still have to mod the Mini to use an external MIDI to CV converter.
The external OSC CV input only ADDS to the keyboard voltage and that voltage will drift when no keys are pressed.
If you keep a key down, it'll stay in tune, but then it won't respond to external triggers.
So no matter what, if you want it to play like an in-tune sound module, you'll need a tech to modify.

I also sell a device for adding MIDI in (and out), but its primary purpose is to replace the key contacts with frictionless optical contacts.
Even so, my converter doesn't offer all the options an LMC does.

Bottom line, expect to either retune the Mini often or get it modded properly for external CV and gate inputs.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:51 am

That's one of the things that I really like about your Opto-Key, Kevin. It's completely "transparent" and keeps the Mini intact.

And since the Minimoog was designed some twelve years before MIDI, it's not suprising that it's not easy to add it to it.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:16 am

With the serial number under #6000, doesn't it need a buffer board added, just for general use? A factory mod that I find very worthwhile on any older Minimoog....

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:26 am

I understand what you mean about not wanting to modify the instrument due to it's historical value.

I recently got my fathers Rhodes restored and was thinking about having an FX loop inserted in the preamp. My father and I were hesitant at first for the same reason as you, but ultimately it came down to practicality. It's a musical tool and anything to enhance it's ability to do it's job is worth it. Since I never plan to sell it, and the modification was already implemented on later units, and because the engineer was going to make it look like the mod came from the factory, we decided to get it installed. It now performs better than it did when it left the factory and I have an enhanced tool to work with.

As long as you can get the mod professionally installed, I don't think it would hurt the value.

Good luck!

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:18 pm

As the serial number is under #6000 - doesn't it need an octave buffer installed?

That modification is factory-done on Minimoogs above #6000 as I recall, and can be seen on the top edge as two small screws behind the upper wood strip. I know Kevin Lightner has some of these kits, and they don't ruin any of the old Mini qualities, they just help it stay in tune when changing octaves... a great thing.