New product to replace LP?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Kenneth

Re: New product to replace LP?

Post by Kenneth » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:54 pm

Guys, it's just going to be another Phucking Phatty!

Wait... That's it!!!
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:36 pm

How about "Moog Phoog?"
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

eXode

Post by eXode » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:09 am

Centaur is a fitting name for a product in the Taurus range. :)

nuno

Post by nuno » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:35 am

eXode wrote:Centaur is a fitting name for a product in the Taurus range. :)
100-voice earthquake-inducing polyphonic bass synth ((((((O))))))

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:55 am

The extended keyboard Sub Phatty.....the Supra Phatty.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:37 am

EricK wrote:The extended keyboard Sub Phatty.....the Supra Phatty.
Yes, this would wake up the interest even for me.....and maybe with additional features......?
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:44 pm

I would love to see a sub with an extended 37 or 44 note keyboard. I love the flexibility of the sub, but I just can't do 25 keys. Same deal with the Minibrute. I had to sell it because playing it was just too frustrating.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

weemac

Post by weemac » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:49 pm

I thought of it as the Ultra Phatty, but please make it with a Fatar keybed..

Official optional wood sides would be great too!

Eden.

weemac

Post by weemac » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:52 pm

I don't think Moog will ever go polyphonic again, nor do I wish them to...

Eden.

deltaphoenix

Post by deltaphoenix » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:55 pm

megavoice wrote:
Yes, this would wake up the interest even for me.....and maybe with additional features......?
Add an arpeggiator and and more memory for presets.

Also, desktop/module edition.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:54 pm

The Sub phatty (with a bigger keyboard) is the unit they should have released in the first place.

But regarding a poly, some here are convinced that Moog is not going to make one and have made some compelling arguments, but I'm not convinced.

Whatever new product is going to replace the phatty, I shake my head at the notion of guitar pedals.

Yes, yes, I get the argument about exposing the brand to a wider market, and theres a point to that, but this shift towards guitars by Moog is disappointing. First they make actual guitars, then lap steel guitars (A very expensive electric lap steel which arguably is another niche market) and now rumored to make guitar pedals. Why doesn't Fender start making organs, or Harley Davidson start making cars, or Maytag start making pool tables? In my opinion, the world is already heavily saturated with guitar stomp boxes meanwhile all of Moog's synth products are getting only a minor change of clothes.

I don't really care if they want to cater to the guitar market, but I'll bet they have been getting requests for a polysynth for over a decade. Let them build custom guitars and stomp box pedals all day long, but they need to satisfy their current customer base also. I don't see why they couldn't or why the NY Moog mistakes are superstitiously tied to any future development of a modern day polysynth. If they can justify a 6k guitar or a 15k Voyager on a very limited run basis then I don't see why a polysynth is out of the question.

The Theremin is turning 100 years old in a few years, I hope they will do something for that and I'm saving my money.

That's my two PHP's on the subject.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:00 am

The next Moog synth will be so hot.... They will call it Smokin' Phatty.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:37 am

Releasing a mid-sized SubPhatty will kill the market for that synth, and don't forget the Slim still lives.

kslight

Post by kslight » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:44 am

EricK wrote:The Sub phatty (with a bigger keyboard) is the unit they should have released in the first place.

But regarding a poly, some here are convinced that Moog is not going to make one and have made some compelling arguments, but I'm not convinced.

Whatever new product is going to replace the phatty, I shake my head at the notion of guitar pedals.

Yes, yes, I get the argument about exposing the brand to a wider market, and theres a point to that, but this shift towards guitars by Moog is disappointing. First they make actual guitars, then lap steel guitars (A very expensive electric lap steel which arguably is another niche market) and now rumored to make guitar pedals. Why doesn't Fender start making organs, or Harley Davidson start making cars, or Maytag start making pool tables? In my opinion, the world is already heavily saturated with guitar stomp boxes meanwhile all of Moog's synth products are getting only a minor change of clothes.

I don't really care if they want to cater to the guitar market, but I'll bet they have been getting requests for a polysynth for over a decade. Let them build custom guitars and stomp box pedals all day long, but they need to satisfy their current customer base also. I don't see why they couldn't or why the NY Moog mistakes are superstitiously tied to any future development of a modern day polysynth. If they can justify a 6k guitar or a 15k Voyager on a very limited run basis then I don't see why a polysynth is out of the question.

The Theremin is turning 100 years old in a few years, I hope they will do something for that and I'm saving my money.

That's my two PHP's on the subject.

Shift towards guitars is disappointing? I always thought the Moog guitars sound pretty cool though (like most every Moog product) pretty expensive. Aren't these discontinued now though?

Rumored to be making guitar pedals? Rumor has it they've already been making guitar pedals for years... New rumors just seem to be making cheaper pedals.

Something tells me that in a crap economy if Moog is still growing they are doing something right in their business model. Something also tells me that Moog's day-to-day operation is paid for by sales in this order:

1. Moogerfoogers
2. Phattys/Minitaur
3. 500 Series effects
4. Accessories
5. Voyager
6. Theremin

Making cheaper Moogerfoogers is a logical step to me, to give other folks the opportunity to get hooked on at a lower price point. Reality is, there are a lot more guitar players than keyboard players, so hooking that market is big money for them. I live a mile from a boutique pedal maker, who is doing ridiculous business (for a very small, only a few year old company) with his line, his shop produced and sold 10,000 pedals in 2012.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:39 am

I would call a Fooger a guitar pedal look-alike.