Sell it all for a Voyager?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
deltaphoenix

Sell it all for a Voyager?

Post by deltaphoenix » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:02 am

I have a Slim Phatty and an Access Virus B desktop. I also have a MP-201. I have found a Voyager for a NICE price, I have no cash on hand, I am in college full-time. The guy with the Voyager would take the Access Virus B in trade and I would have to sell my Slim Phatty (which I just got) and the MP-201 to pay the balance on the Voyager.
The Voyager would be my only synth for awhile after that. I had plans for a Mono and a Poly. What do you think?
Buy the Voyager for a steal and use softsynths until I have funds for something else. Or pass?

More info, I am mainly a Bass Player. I have a Yamaha G-50 Midi Convertor that actually works pretty well. So I use my bass as a controller for the Slim Phatty half the time. I am good enough on keys to play a Monosynth decently, and I could always dig in and learn more.

My plans for the Mono and Poly set-up are this; I plan on buying a Misa Tri-Bass controller-check it out-
(http://misa-digital.myshopify.com/products/tri-bass) & playing both synths with the Tri-Bass. The Virus for chords and pads, the Slim Phatty for basses, with my looper that would have beats from my drum machine and maybe some more background sounds.

For the record, I love the sound of the Slim Phatty SO MUCH MORE THAN the Access Virus. I have started considering buying more Phattys so I could chain them together and use that as my synth exclusively instead of the it and the Virus. I have a good amount of pedals to run everything through so i can get neat textures etc.

So, obviously the Voyager would be a step away from this musical vision that I have been working on. But the Voyager is badass, I am middle of the road for synth programming, I understand the basics but am not a pro at routing modulation.

Any opinions? For the record, it is a Voyager Select and I can get it for the Access Virus and $1250.

Ryan Lubinsky

Re: Sell it all for a Voyager?

Post by Ryan Lubinsky » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:34 am

do it. i did a similar thing to get my XL and im really pleased. a voyager is in a different league. that other stuff is replaceable. a good deal on a voyager does not come around that often.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:19 am

I offered to sell my Voyager select, CP and VX351 all in great condition to a music store as a trade-in for their demo XL and all they offered me was 1700 towards it.

Giving a quick ebay skim, your Virus is getting from 400 to around 750, with a lot in the 550 range making his Voyager go for around 1800 or so. I'd say he can come off his price a bit. I definitely wouldn't sell the mp-201 if I was expecting to land a Voyager.

If I were you I'd hold out because there will be more great deals on Voyagers. Pursue your musical vision and wait to upgrade the synth when you know you will be in a better financial position. I'd also opt to not get a select series. I'd go for a performer edition or an old school because the backlighting isn't going to last forever (only 1000 hours brand new) and they would probably fetch lower on the resale market (don't forget the RME also).

I got mine brand new with the VX-351 and the CP-251 for $2999, and I have seen deals better than that, though that music store I believe is now defunct, but there are others out there that might cut you a deal like that when you are ready.

Don't sacrifice more musical power for a romanticized instrument. It would take you awhile to grow into the Voyager anyway, so spend the next few years learning about synthesis, looking at a lot of the other systems (hint: modular), and save your money so you can bargain for what you want WITHOUT sacrificing what you already have.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Vince Ascoli

Post by Vince Ascoli » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:04 am

Dude, if you don't buy the Voyager, I will:) Seriously, it's a superb controller and a quality instrument. If you just read the manual, play with it and ask questions here in the forums, you'll be fine. It'll look killer on stage, too - what color wood & lights? I do agree that it should work in service to your musical vision above all, and only you can know what gear gives you the most utility and inspiration...
Voyager Select Maple Jade, Voyager Aluminum, Xpander, OB-8, Prophet~6, Virus Ti Pølar, DX5

marty

Post by marty » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:58 am

Seconding Eric's advice, if you're going to go for the Voyager figure out something else to sell so you can hold on to the MP-201, it's the Swiss Army knife of voltage controllers. I would never sell mine.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:57 pm

Good point about the MP-201. Moog doesn't make them anymore. It's not easy to come by and I suspect you will regret selling it.

deltaphoenix

Post by deltaphoenix » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:10 pm

I am thinking that i will pass on this Voyager. The backlighting is already dead (no biggie) and it is bit beat up. I am less than a year away from graduating college and I am working my butt off to score a particular job that will make it way easier to purchase the gear that I want.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:53 pm

Count me in the MP-201 keepers as well. Too difficult, rare to find again at a reasonable price.

Plus you will indeed miss it when the Voyager arrives and your (first) honey moon is over :)

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:39 pm

Don't do it. I love my Voyager, but I would never sell an entire arsenal just to fund one synth. Regardless of what synth it was. Could be a Yamaha CS-80, still isn't worth getting rid of other gear that the CS-80 can't replace. As awesome as it is, it's not a drum machine. It's not a control pedal. It's not a Casiotone for crying out loud. It's a CS-80 and it will only sound like a CS-80. Same goes for a Voyager.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

deltaphoenix

Post by deltaphoenix » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:32 pm

I am going to pass, it does hit my arsenal too hard. Plus it really isn't compatible with the vision I have to use the Misa Digital Tri-Bass. I may get rid of the Access Virus B though and Buy another Slim Phatty, and sell something els for a 3rd Slim Phatty....Poly Chain!

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:13 pm

I'm really happy that you are NOT dropping everything. I saw your posting that started over on Muffs, weighed in, and watched many viewpoints fly.

In the end, it's your decision and you have to be happy. I really really like the Phatty despite some of the flaws and struggles as the code was developing; it's a great synth. I'm 2/3rds along in building an Oberheim 4 Voice (wait a minute, that math doesn't work) but if I wasn't, I'd be doing a multi-voice Phatty.

If you find yourself leaning into Modular, you'll want a Voyager for all of the I/O capabilities but to be honest, I rarely use my 3rd OSC and the Phatty with it's Arpeggiator adds alot of function and music making mojo.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:27 pm

The Voyager is a cadillac synthesizer for sure, but by itself it makes me yearn to accompany it with other stuff. That was a nice deal also, but you will own the dream of a lifetime rig several times over before you are done. Patience is virtue.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

deltaphoenix

Post by deltaphoenix » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:30 am

Thanks guys, there is a horse trader inside of me that gets really excited by "great deals". Often enough I can calm that but with this one being Moog centered it was harder :mrgreen:

That being said, If someone is interested in buying the Voyager, I will gladly hook you up with the guy selling it. He is on another (non-synth) forum and has a good reputation there.