Good Abstract Pedals

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:17 pm

I 2nd a vote for MID-FI ELECTRONICS. This guy DOES make the most extreme/messed up/cool pedals right now. Makes the Fuzz Factory(that I do like BTW) sound like a MXR Distortion+. The only place to go from here is the Modular Synth world if you want wild guitar/bass/whatever processing.

http://midfielectronics.com/

Check out the "Glitch Computer" and the "What?"

Also unlisted is the "Pitch Pirate" LFO modulated delay.

I LOVE ZVEX too.

Nick Montoya

Post by Nick Montoya » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:06 pm

obviously the moogerfoogers are the best.. my bro in law uses "Death by audio" pedals along with his MuRF, and thats why SLEEPYHEAD is the coolest band in Chico, Ca...

DBA+MF = lovely sonic experiences
http://www.thevoltperoctaves.com

http://www.myspace.com/thevoltperoctaves

http://www.moogmusic.com/artists/?cat_id=28

brokeneck

while we're on the subject

Post by brokeneck » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:42 pm

who makes a really great octave pedal? SOmething without fuzz or something that you can control the amount of fuzz. I have a arp quartet that could really use some fattening

thanks

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:59 pm

The Electro Harmonix Polyphonic Octave Generator (POG) is really amazing.
-Tyler2000-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

brokeneck

Post by brokeneck » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:43 pm

DAMN! I was hoping you weren't gonna say that. That one is pretty expensive. Are those danelectro pedals any good? they look a little cheap but there's one called ChiliDog that's an octave dealy.

thanks

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:52 am

How about the Metasonix TM2

It won the Electronic Musician Editor's Choice Award and works well for guitar.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:11 am

brokeneck wrote:DAMN! I was hoping you weren't gonna say that. That one is pretty expensive. Are those danelectro pedals any good? they look a little cheap but there's one called ChiliDog that's an octave dealy.
Can't comment about Danelectro pedals in general, but there are two pedals that are so inexpensive you almost have to try them - the Danelectro FAB Overdrive and FAB Metal. $15.00 each at GC.

Both pedals are mono-in/mono-out affairs with three knobs: level, tone and gain. Cases are plastic, which should be fine in a studio environment, but probably wouldn't hold up on the road. Typical DE pedal style - unique '50's retro look.

Was told the Overdrive compares to the Boss OD-1 in sound. No word about the FAB Metal. Both pedals do what they do well enough, putting some 'hair' on the Voyager's tone. Obviously, not all Voyager patches sound good through these pedals, but things can get pretty interesting. Used them in the Voyager Mix Out loop as well as the Main out with good results on selected patches, mainly single oscillator or unison-type sounds. Could be interesting in combination with the MuRF or Ring Mod boxes (I have neither).

Certainly not an abstract pedal like many others discussed here, but for $15 it's worth checking out IMO.

Greg

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:04 pm

brokeneck wrote:DAMN! I was hoping you weren't gonna say that. That one is pretty expensive. Are those danelectro pedals any good? they look a little cheap but there's one called ChiliDog that's an octave dealy.

thanks
Do not. DO NOT get the ChilliDog. It's a piece of junk. It can be used for a few very simple applications, like slight beefening, but certainly can't to anything abstract, unless you think bad tracking sounds cool (sometimes it does). You might shoot a little higher, like the Boss OC-2. Octave pedals aren't really a place to be cheap, because there is some pretty junky stuff on the market.

Of course, feel free to try your luck with the Chilli Dog. It's really inexpensive, and might be worth it to find out what you want from your octave. Danelectro pedals are mostly budget models. The mini line is kind of neat if you need one effect for one song and don't want to shell out $100, though. They also make the Spring King real spring reverb pedal, and the Reel Echo simulated tape echo unit. Both are very nice/expensive.

-Tyler2000-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:17 pm

Hey! Did you check out the Mid-Fi site?

Check out the sound clips?

Deimos

Post by Deimos » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:58 pm

sir_dss wrote:Hey! Did you check out the Mid-Fi site?

Check out the sound clips?
The glitch sounded really fun. Sounded super mario theme type effect.

Post by 041 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:01 am

www.effector13.com i have several of her pedals and they are all great and wierd. listen to the audio clips of the TBD (the truly beautiful disaster)! i also have a"noise floor" pedal that she made for me (maybe she'll make another batch?) i was messing around with it and an arp axxe the other day and it was sick...

stereordinary

Post by stereordinary » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:31 pm

Nick Putrid wrote:obviously the moogerfoogers are the best.. my bro in law uses "Death by audio" pedals along with his MuRF, and thats why SLEEPYHEAD is the coolest band in Chico, Ca...

DBA+MF = lovely sonic experiences
Thanks Nick, I love you too.

But yeah, Death by Audio is the best. He makes the only other pedals out there that (besides the MuRF) are truly original designs. There's a lot of guys out there that can make you some crazy self-oscillating fuzz boxes and those are fun, but DBA makes pedals that will make all of your other pedals self-oscillate!

Also, for qualities sake, check out robertkeeley.com. His mods and original pedals sound the best. If you have a Boss DD-3 already, send it to Keeley for his effects loop and analog-feel mods. You won't regret it.

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:12 am

Got a fuzz factory yesterday: what an excellent pedal. Way more musically useful than I thought it'd be and yet also capable of gut churning noise. I sequenced my voyager using a tb303 and then ran it through the ff. Real brown acidtechno :D