New Poly in Preparation

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
vinnyburns

Re: New Poly in Preparation

Post by vinnyburns » Sun May 10, 2015 2:27 pm

atomicsynth wrote:Vinny,

I stand corrected apparently regarding the Prophet 6, quoting from outside source article,

"Dave Smith said himself in one of the interviews that there is indeed digital Components that keep the tuning in check, but he also stated that if you would open up the synth and blow on it's boards the tuning would go all over the place, which is proof that we are indeed talking about a VCO".

However, other of his synths are not DCO's. The prophet 8, for example, uses DCO's as do other of his synths. He makes great stuff. I wish there were three VCO's per voice in his synths.

I still think a working Memorymoog smokes a Prophet anyway.
No, I think out of the whole product catalogue, that is the only one. I just remembered reading about it being VCO when it was announced. The big fly in the ointment for me with the Prophet 6 was the missing octave on the keyboard. For a poly synth, I think it was a major omission.
I have the Prophet 08 and I like it a lot. More of an Oberheim flavour than a Prophet 5 but I like that.
Anyway, loving my Moog Sub37 and Minitaur.
We are living in great times for synths. So much good stuff from Moog, DSI and the like.
Just need Tom Oberheim to rerelease the OBX-a or OB-8 :-)

atomicsynth

Post by atomicsynth » Sun May 10, 2015 6:56 pm

vinnyburns wrote:
I have the Prophet 08 and I like it a lot. More of an Oberheim flavour than a Prophet 5 but I like that.
We are living in great times for synths. So much good stuff from Moog, DSI and the like.
I'm glad you like your synths. I almost bought an OBXa in the 80's until I played the Memorymoog, which I bought immediately. I'm not knocked over by the new stuff, honestly, plus I don't need them as three synths, two ancient, one being a K2600 ( which is now obsolete too even though no one ever scratched the surface on triples) are enough for me.

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Sun May 10, 2015 7:09 pm

atomicsynth wrote:
vinnyburns wrote:
I'm glad you like your synths. I almost bought an OBXa in the 80's until I played the Memorymoog, which I bought immediately. I'm not knocked over by the new stuff, honestly, plus I don't need them as three synths, two ancient, one being a K2600 ( which is now obsolete too even though no one ever scratched the surface on triples) are enough for me.
Fair enough. Mine are mainly for writing and for use in my studio. I wanted something a little more organic than my Integra 7 that I used for everyday sounds. Just got so sick of the interface on modern synths and wanted some hands on control. The Sub37 and Prophet 08 are great for this.
I also just replaced my Nord Electro 4 with the Electro 5 and for writing, I love it.
Wish Moog would revisit some of their classic Poly synths. Having a modern reliable version available would be great.

MC

Post by MC » Mon May 11, 2015 1:55 pm

atomicsynth wrote:I also wish Moog would support existing Memorymoog's
Ain't gonna happen.

Roland doesn't support their legacy products either.

Korg doesn't.

Yamaha doesn't, Buchla doesn't, Hammond doesn't - NONE of them support legacy products that use components that haven't been available new since the 1980s or 1970s. Technology advances so fast that component obsolesence cycles get shorter and shorter, and Moog et al are hardly to blame. No amount of stomping your petulant feet threatening never to buy their products again is going to change that.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

atomicsynth

Post by atomicsynth » Tue May 12, 2015 9:49 am

Kurzweil will "unofficially" help you when they can with their "legacy" products. I understand the MM is an obsolete synth all too well.

post edited
Last edited by atomicsynth on Wed May 13, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MC

Post by MC » Tue May 12, 2015 12:35 pm

atomicsynth wrote:
MC wrote:
Ain't gonna happen.

Roland doesn't support their legacy products either.

Korg doesn't.

... No amount of stomping your petulant feet threatening never to buy their products again is going to change that.
Kurzweil will "unofficially" help you with their "legacy" products. I understand the MM is an obsolete synth all too well. Your snarky remark was just that.
I have Hal Chamberlin's non-Kurzweil email. Expansion soundblock EPROMs for the the 1980s 1000 rackmount romplers? Those EPROMs are obsolete and no longer available new. Replacement slidepots for the MIDIBoard? No longer available. Upgrade the OS for modern MIDI implementation? The development tools are obsolete and no longer available.

So much for "unofficial" support of "legacy" products...
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Tue May 12, 2015 1:35 pm

To all out there, the world will GO ON NOT to "get asleep", so........patience guys,..........patience.......
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

atomicsynth

Post by atomicsynth » Tue May 12, 2015 2:45 pm

megavoice wrote:To all out there, the world will GO ON NOT to "get asleep", so........patience guys,..........patience.......
I like you! So Optimistic you are! I have patience!!

atomicsynth

Post by atomicsynth » Tue May 12, 2015 2:52 pm

MC wrote:
I have Hal Chamberlin's non-Kurzweil email.
I've been to R&D in Waltham. I agree most cerrtainly thst components do obsolete. They did help, by phone, a local tech fix the aftertouch strip after he couldn't get it to work after reinstalling the keyboard he fixed. They offered to send a new strip out of back parts salvage they had but it wasn't necessary.

post edited per below intent.
Last edited by atomicsynth on Wed May 13, 2015 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

MC

Post by MC » Tue May 12, 2015 3:17 pm

atomicsynth wrote:
MC wrote:
I have Hal Chamberlin's non-Kurzweil email. (blah de blah -summed up)
I've been to R&D in Waltham. I don't need to name drop.

You remind me of certain tedious Sonikmatter forum members who were just as superioristic and also quite without substance. Sonikmatter closed. Thankfully.
I've been to Waltham too, honey.

I'm an EE and have been in the business for over thirty years. I laid out the economic reality why companies do not support legacy products and it seemed to offend you so much that you resorted to ad hominem tactics. Expressing the wishes to have MM forum suffer the same fate as Sonikmatter is not going to win you friends here, so can that disposition pronto.

atomicsynth

Post by atomicsynth » Tue May 12, 2015 3:30 pm

Edited post, brief OT.

I never once compared this forum to one of past. I have no wish to alienate anyone over a misunderstanding in text so I'm editing a couple of previous in the spirit of peace. My ignore list is 0.

-----------------

Back to topic, I await a new poly with patience.

Moog just isn't currently making anything I want or need is all. I'd love the KE modular remake but you know.....
Last edited by atomicsynth on Wed May 13, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

MC

Post by MC » Tue May 12, 2015 6:05 pm

Be careful what you wish for. I am not so cowardice to put you on my ignore list, but when your precious memorymoog or other synth breaks and you seek help on this forum you will get zero assistance from me - because you just alienated one of the few repair experts on this forum, and Memorymoogs and other polysynths happen to be my specialty.

radioland

Post by radioland » Wed May 13, 2015 5:17 am

...I always liked how on topic the Moog forums were and how supportive and respectful the language...

cheers, radioland
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-107 (3), MF-108M, CP-251 (2), EP-2, Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute, Fender 50s Precision Bass, EBS Valve Drive, Lehle Sunday Driver, EHX Big Muff Pi, EHX Stereo Pulsar, TC Electronic Trinity Reverb, Logic Pro X

atomicsynth

Post by atomicsynth » Wed May 13, 2015 11:40 am

MC wrote: ...one of the few repair experts on this forum, and Memorymoogs and other polysynths happen to be my specialty.
Peace. I did my part. I didn't do it to get your help but to end a misunderstanding. I edited posts.. Perhaps you will too.

I'm now off to continue trying to fix the broken Memorymoog ( initially mentioned "a week ago" in the "Mike Bucki" thread. Megavoice has been very helpful, and thanks again to him!) downstairs. Last night I had to epoxy traces and pads Mike Bucki messed up when he replaced a trimmer. I also had to de-flux his mess. Today I have to see what else is damaged. It has not been a fun week.

atomicsynth

Post by atomicsynth » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:56 pm

The Memorymoog is fixed, 6 voices tuning, all sounding. Three blown 3080's, one blown 4558 and one blown 4066.

A single blown resistor in the N1 beckman array, fixed by cutting associated pins and installing an 0.1% 100K on top of the array in thermal contact. Megavoice's tech in Germany figured that one out; he's not only brilliant but such a nice guy! He explained that all mono and poly CV's go through the N1 on each voice card. Thank you, Mega, for introducing me to such an expert! I'm learning so much from him and I remain indebted to both of you.