New Poly in Preparation

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Voltor07

Re: New Poly in Preparation

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:58 pm

nicholas d. kent wrote:FYI - if readers don't recognize the prototype in above posts
A wonderful, powerful, if not at all cheap or easy to build and repair synth from the MemoryMoog era
I have seen this synth before. Had no idea the Voyager Eight was it's prototype. Makes sense, though. :)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:56 pm

megavoice wrote:Hi my lads and girls,

Just wanna let you share in some way to these good news I've got recently.
Some people are working now heavily on the continuing of an old vintage polysynth of the early days.
I don't know, if it'll be an upgraded version or a completely new conception or anything else. But it's definitivly in work. Of course, it's no Moog I'm talking about.
I read a post on another forum from someone who said he was told that Korg was considering work on a reissue of the PolySix, depending on sales of the iPolySix app, just like sales of iMS-20 persuaded them to reissue the MS-20 once sales reached the 300K range.

Are you that same person? :wink:

kslight

Post by kslight » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:10 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:

Some people are working now heavily on the continuing of an old vintage polysynth of the early days.
I don't know, if it'll be an upgraded version or a completely new conception or anything else. But it's definitivly in work. Of course, it's no Moog I'm talking about.
I read a post on another forum from someone who said he was told that Korg was considering work on a reissue of the PolySix, depending on sales of the iPolySix app, just like sales of iMS-20 persuaded them to reissue the MS-20 once sales reached the 300K range.

Really not into the Polysix myself...got a really nice one I restored for sale now in fact. Bought it broke, fixed it up, and really don't get the hype...

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:27 pm

kslight wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

Really not into the Polysix myself...got a really nice one I restored for sale now in fact. Bought it broke, fixed it up, and really don't get the hype...
What do you not like about it?
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:47 pm

megavoice wrote: Some people are working now heavily on the continuing of an old vintage polysynth of the early days.
The Korg PolySix is the only polysynth that realistically matches this description. It can't be the Oberheim SOFV because everybody here knows about that already ("pssst I got a secret! Water is wet!!!"). It's not a Moog because he said so. It's not a DSI because Dave Smith has shown no interest in remaking vintage polysynths. Korg OTOH has shown a willingness to resurrect vintage synth technology - albeit with tweaks here and there (eg. surface-mount).

I'm not sure the PolySix would be my #1 choice of vintage polysynth to resurrect. If anything, I still like the Son of Four Voice the best, but... it ain't no secret. But it is, in my worthless opinion, the most likely candidate - regardless of whether I personally like it or not.

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:19 am

GovernorSilver wrote:

I'm loving the curiosity of all of you out there, as if I wouldn't know, I'd be among you :D. But please note also, there are probably more synths in the next time to announce and to release than I'm knowing. So the Polysix is likely as well. :wink:
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:24 am

I was commenting more on the vaporware status of the SO4V, but I'm not of the opinion that Moog would simply refuse to make one.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

kslight

Post by kslight » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:43 pm

Kenneth wrote:
kslight wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

What do you not like about it?
Sounds and feels cheap, which is...more or less what I've concluded with every Korg product, at least from the 80s...that I have owned. Sure it has a couple tricks, most of which turn it into sort of a string machine type sound...which I do like...but overall not into the tone of this one. In this case, IMHO, the sound does not match the hype. What can I say, I am pretty boring and I tend to gravitate to the analog polys that always sound great, like Rolands. I can't say exactly what the Polysix is lacking, maybe punch compared to Junos. Nasty top. Not an every song kind of synth, for sure, IMHO. If I had infinite space and money maybe I'd keep it, but I'm trimming down my rig to only keep the synths that rock my world, and this one does not.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:01 am

still think the jp8 is the best analog polysynth ever made: reliable, 8 voices, well in tune, greaat sound etc.
nowadays however i'd prefer touring with an a6 ( or two) or some of the prophet stuff ( 12 )
the memorymoog looks great , has a great sound bu the 6 voices and often problems put me of. the cs80 too heavy too etc.
korgs didn't do it for me, although something like a 800dv doesn't sound nor feel cheap, and a ps3300 i also wouldn't reject if i found one for a reasonable price.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:06 pm

EricK wrote:I was commenting more on the vaporware status of the SO4V, but I'm not of the opinion that Moog would simply refuse to make one.
Ah I missed your earlier post. Sorry.

My two favorite classic polysynth sounds are the Four Voice (Lyle Mays, Joe Zawinul) and Polymoog ("White Shadow" Peter Gabriel), but I don't have realistic expectations of seeing a new version of either anytime soon.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:44 pm

nicholas d. kent wrote:A wonderful, powerful, if not at all cheap or easy to build and repair synth from the MemoryMoog era
I completely agree. One thing to add: It's really heavy for a rack unit.
Not a super fun synth to make patches on either, but has an incredible sound.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Tue May 05, 2015 2:25 pm

Well, it seems that my sources of Information had been fully reliable.
More and more news are coming out about now.
It`s the Synthex 2 from Mario Maggi I had been knowing from then..............
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

atomicsynth

Post by atomicsynth » Sun May 10, 2015 11:21 am

Thank you for sharing this and I totally agree with you about Moog. Looking forward to hearing more of it when news can be shared.

Digression....

It would be great to see a new polysynth made that did not use modeling or DCO's. Personally, I'd love a "modern" Memorymoog style synth with true analog oscillators, discrete ladder filters and of course, a design built without any Curtis like chips. It would be large and heavy, being full of discrete boards but I'd be happy. I would expect to have to calibrate oscillators and filters ( which is part of being true analog). I would hope for patching capabilities well beyond a Memorymoog. I doubt anyone would ever do it though. (Dave Smith's synths don't qualify because he uses DCO's).

For that matter, I wish someone would figure out a way to get rid of every Curtis chip in a Memorymoog, since they are not made anymore, and replace every one of those chips with true discrete devices housed in an accessory cabinet and connected into a Memorymoog by cable.

I also wish Moog would support existing Memorymoog's since the thing has a big factory Moog sticker on it ( what a concept). I don't care about the Moog name being sold to Norlin back then but I very much care that the present incarnation of Moog Music disavows and will not support or service the synth. It makes me never want to buy Moog anything again.( Will they even fix a Model D Mini or old modular system? I bet not and if I'm wrong, by all means correct me).

And for as much as I love my Memorymoog, it was poorly designed. The factory service updates of trace cutting, jumpers all over the place, major component replacement, removing pass transistor sockets to direct solder leads, screw in adaptors to clamp the pass transitors down, new power supply header to solder in after removing the old, having to remove all springs from the front panel switches and more reflect how badly it was made when released. But those guys at the factory back then cared, would send you free parts, call you if you had any problems and talk you through testing problems. Try getting that today in the disposible era.

I see Moog is now making I Pad apps. Sad. (personal opinion on the times).

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Sun May 10, 2015 11:51 am

atomicsynth wrote:(Dave Smith's synths don't qualify because he uses DCO's).
I thought the Prophet 6 was VCO?

atomicsynth

Post by atomicsynth » Sun May 10, 2015 1:00 pm

Vinny,

I stand corrected apparently regarding the Prophet 6, quoting from outside source article,

"Dave Smith said himself in one of the interviews that there is indeed digital Components that keep the tuning in check, but he also stated that if you would open up the synth and blow on it's boards the tuning would go all over the place, which is proof that we are indeed talking about a VCO".

However, he has designed using DCO's. The prophet 8, for example, uses DCO's as do other of his synths. He makes great stuff. I wish there were three VCO's per voice in his designs.

I still think a working Memorymoog smokes a Prophet anyway.

I also wasn't awake earlier and failed to notice the date of the thread was 2013. Oh well...
Last edited by atomicsynth on Sun May 10, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.