Bob Moog's Archives moving to Cornell University

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Sweep

Re: Bob Moog's Archives moving to Cornell University

Post by Sweep » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:19 am

I thought there might be some kind of statement from Marc Doty by now. So far he's just come in and screamed at everyone and made one of his customary sarcastic comments.

I asked him in the topic if he was going to reply to CZ Rider's question. He's PMd me and said that he has, but there's no sign of that in the topic - is this another PM to CZRider?

He also suggested looking at the BMF website - though he couldn't be bothered providing a link. I did look at it last night. There's some information about archiving, though I didn't wade through it all trying to work out how far they've got and whether that's realistic for the time they've spent. I did notice, though, that Bob Moog's widow kept some stuff and refused to let them have it. They've said there was concern that she kept it in conditions of high humidity during the summer months, which of course is understandable if it's true, but I wonder why she would rather do that than let the BMF have it. Of course that problem - if it was a problem - has now been solved by her decision to pass the stuff to Cornell, but I think it indicates there may well be a lot of things that happened behind the scenes that we don't know about. If we're only to get Marc Doty's views on things I don't expect we''ll be assured of the full picture - assuming of course that we do get anything at all from him apart from the insults and sarcasm that seem to have become usual over the last couple of years.
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:29 am

I have also received a PM from Marc. And I suspect he has chosen this way of privately replying to our interrogations and grievances probably because doing it in public might interfere with his position at the BMF ? I don't know...

I'm not going to talk in detail or at length here about what he said in that PM. Suffice it to say that it didn't answer a lot of things, and was more a needless finger pointing exercise as to the responsibility of the BMF fiasco.

I answered back with the acknowledgement that it doesn't matter who's to blame for what. The main issue is what can now be done to go forward and maybe strike a deal with Cornell for allowing easier access to some of the archives online ?

He hasn't read it yet, it is still showing as unread in my outbox...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:42 am

I received a PM, but it did not address the issues and questions I asked. So I asked again? Why wouldn't making backup copies of all the paper archives Bob left behind not be the first priority? I do not think in this digital age it would be that difficult to spend a few weeks with a quality large flatbed scanner and hi-res camera to do this. And 6 years is plenty of time to get the job done. Having only one copy of documents puts that info in danger of being destroyed or lost forever. Once you have backups, you can sift through the digital copies to catalog and organize the information, leaving the originals intact.

And I did ask on this list for certain papers. So the BMF can not simply say no one ever asked to see these archives. Never hurts to ask? Perhaps the BMF does have all this digitized?
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:44 am

I can see why he might want to say things privately rather than in a public forum, if there are some really sensitive issues, but his behaviour doesn't even seem consistent with that.

It seems his strategy is to say "ask me and I'll tell you," and then in each PM all he does is repeat "ask me and I'll tell you," when people have asked. Very like an untrustworthy politician being evasive.

I didn't actually expect any more than that, and if any answers are ever given I'm not inclined to take them at face value.

All I can say is if this rudeness, sarcasm, evasiveness and egotism is the BMF, thank God Cornell have the archive and not the BMF.
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:22 pm

Hey, no fair : ( I didn't receive a Christmas present from Santa.

Do I have to ask directly via Private PM? (I'm not being a wise acre, just not aware of the protocol... well, maybe I am being a wise guy but I still want to know)

For the record, I offered my services to BMF via their Volunteer page some time ago. No response. Seems to me that they did need the help but then again, none of this was in their plans.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:11 am

Well, I can tell you that Marc Doty, A.K.A. Museslave, doesn't check his PM box very often... He still hasn't read the reply I wrote to his PM. It's been two days now that my reply sits in my outbox.

I wonder what keeps him so busy at the BMF ? :roll:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:42 pm

Below is an article about a billionaire philanthropist.
The only reason I'm posting it here is that apparently he's given close to a billion dollars to Cornell University.
Otherwise, it's left for thought and inspiration...

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articl ... ill-gates/
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:35 am

I don't know enough about this to pick sides, but the .pdf of the BMF's 2011 IRS filing included a mission statement which said nothing about preserving the archives or making them freely available.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:17 pm

Ledbetter wrote:I don't know enough about this to pick sides, but the .pdf of the BMF's 2011 IRS filing included a mission statement which said nothing about preserving the archives or making them freely available.
I wouldn't know how to check into IRS filings or 501c3 statements (which I assume are the equivalent of the requirement to file 10K or an annual report including a balance sheet, etc) but the Foundation web site clearly lists ARCHIVE as part of their mission. So that I am not paraphrasing:

"We provide hands-on opportunities for children and adults to explore the science of sound through Dr. Bob’s SoundSchool and the preservation of Bob Moog’s archives and musical inventions, which will converge in a future interactive museum, or Moogseum, online and in Asheville, NC."

But I suppose they are fully off-the-hook since it clearly says "will converge in a FUTURE". I think the major gripe of folks that have donated cash is that it has yet to happen and now they have apparently lost access to the archive (if they were merely entrusted with it for a limited period of time that has since expired with Bob's Widow's decision to donate).

Folks have criticized Mr. Doty as being arrogant, dismissive, etc. and everybody is entitled to have an opinion as to whether or not he is based on comments posted here or possibly in PMs received individually; Personally, I would just love to see some of the old docs online so that's my beef. Not going to weigh in; never liked politics or choosing sides; I just want to hike into the middle of the woods and play some music.

In a prior post, I said something like "if things have gone differently and and at MoogFest 2015, BMF succeeded in opening the storefront with all sorts of, or possibly only 15% of the vision of the Moogseuem, people would be somewhat satisfied" but it didn't happen and now what?

I suppose this thread is pretty close to being dead at this point as most have weighed in at least once, if not four or five times. I never received a response to my ask some pages up but that's ok with me. No different than what I expected.

One word: 'shame' as in, "it's a shame"

And all of this ranting has nothing to do with Moog Music Inc. I'm still a big believer and a big supporter, love their sh-to-the-eye-'t' and hope it keeps on rolling. Just wanted to be clear on this.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:14 pm

All I read from the BMF, and from Marc Doty, is a lot of needless "finger-pointing".

The decision has been made by the rightful and legitimate owner of Bob's legacy. The BMF should swallow the pill, and try to make the best of a bad situation for them.

Nothing positive, nor productive ever comes out of blaming others for our misfortunes.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:56 pm

Bryan Bell's letter could be thought of in this way:

BMF: We're going to do this and that and all sorts of wonderful things.
IGM: Great, I'll support you in this endeavor

Then time and money passes and the BMF has not done all they promised, so IGM is no longer confident in them.
They had years to do something, but still all she sees or hears is proposed action.

Brought down to essentials, we have talk, dreams and plans on one side.
I call these "good intentions."
And on the other, someone who has seen little or no promised action.
I call them a "realist."

Good intentions have nothing to do with ability.
I believe the BMF is still embracing the former, while Illeana is more concerned with the latter.

If someone told me they were putting on a big party and I agreed to bring the cake, if I arrived to find no party anywhere, I'd take my cake away too.
It was meant for a party that never happened.

And with this said above, I think it is in poor taste to blame Bob's widow because the BMF didn't cor couldn't follow through with their plans or goals.

Streetwise, it's "I've heard the sales pitch, now show me the goods or walk."
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:39 pm

So I got this in my email today. Because I have done a very small amount of work for the BMF I was on their volunteer email list.

Sub: A Fond Farewell:
Hello Rockstars,

First of all THANK YOU to each and every one of you for your loyalty to and support of the Bob Moog Foundation. We would not be able to accomplish all that we do without you.

I'm writing to let each of you know that I am leaving my full time position with the BMF. My departure is 100% amicable, and I look forward to working with you all again as a volunteer! I have met some of the most kind, intelligent, and fun people through the BMF volunteers, and appreciate the opportunity to call you my friends.

Thank you all, and I'll see you again soon!

Molly
Then there was this follow-up email, emphasis and email address removal is my own:

Hi Everyone,
[*]Just a quick follow up to my previous e-mail. The BMF is currently not looking to fill my position. If you have any questions Michelle will be happy to answer them, you can reach her at mich****@moogfoundation

Thank you again,

Molly

I'm posting this because I'm wondering if the BMF is closing shop.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:53 pm

Honestly, EricK, it wouldn't surprise me if they were. They have received lots of monetary donations, and there's not much to show for it. To be honest, I expected more from them when the BMF was first formed.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:36 am

I found this through Muff's:

http://moogfoundation.org/march-2015-schematics/

There's a few schematics now uploaded, just took a couple of years :)