Power supply UK->Europe

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
steingrim

Power supply UK->Europe

Post by steingrim » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:23 am

I just bought a Micromoog in London, and brought it home to Denmark.
I haven't dared to plug it in yet, because I'm afraid of what might happen - I'm not an electrician, and I would hate to see my new darling fry.

The plug is a standard 3-pin fused UK plug, but on the back of the moog, the power supply reads "115 VAC"...It worked fine in the store, and I dind't ask/wasn't told about the power supply.

My two questions are:

- Can I plug it into the danish 220V net, with a normal travel-adapter just like that?
- Can I change the plug to a danish 2-pin just like that?

Thanks!

stiiiiiiive

Re: Power supply UK->Europe

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:18 am

hey Steingrim, welcome to the forum :)

There are two issues in matter of power supply when some gear is brought from a country to another.

1- The holes in the wall.
For that matter, travel adatpers do the job since you can plug you new toy in the wall of your bedroom. But the most serious problem is...

2- the voltage.
With -say- a Little Phatty, there is no problem since the PSU is "universal", meaning it detects the voltage that is fed into it and adapt. But with other pieces of gear, and particularily old ones, the voltage expected is fix. In those cases, you have to convert the wall voltage formerly.

Good news: you had the right reflex, that is to look what the label says on the synth. It says 115V, your wall gives 220 --> you need taht converter.

steingrim

Post by steingrim » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:17 am

Thanks for the welcome and the answer:)
After having asked around, I got the same impression - I need a converter.
But I just found the shop's phone number, and they say the Moog has been modified for 220V. They just plugged it in (and it worked fine when I tried it there).

What I'll do is keep the english plug on, because of the fuse, and use a travel adapter. That way, in the now unlikely event that something will blow up, it'll be the fuse.

Cheers!

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Yes, welcome steingrim ! :D

FWIW the Micromoog is supposed to have a sliding selector switch at the back to choose between 115 and 230 VAC. Make sure it's in the 230 V position.

The only issue that I can see is that in Denmark the power outlet seem to be missing a third prong for grounding purposes.
But still, it won't prevent the Micromoog from working (with the selector switch mentioned earlier in the right position). You just might have ground loop issues with your audio equipment (hum and noises).

If, however, your Micromoog has been modified, and the switch is absent and only 115 V is selectable, then you need a power adapter.

To help you out, here's a link to the user manual. Check out page 5 on the left of the introduction by Tom Rhea. The very first item mentions the power selector switch.

http://www.fantasyjackpalance.com/fjp/s ... eg-low.pdf
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

analogmadness

Post by analogmadness » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:19 pm

I can be wrong about this but i think UK power supply's should provide 220 volts....?
Best thing is to call the company it came from.
I allway's tought uk and europe have 220v wall sockets only the placment of the pins would be different.
Correct me please if im wrong.

VCS3

Post by VCS3 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:28 pm

analogmadness you are correct. UK voltage is 220V. Denmark should be about the same, just different plugs.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:55 am

:| I feel a bit dumb, I should have started by this: voltages are the same in UK and the rest of EU.
So a travel adapter + checking the presence and setting of a voltage selector on the synth should be ok.