Video: How a funk session works

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
psicolor

Video: How a funk session works

Post by psicolor » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:14 am

Often people are questioning, how an improvised funk session works. They believe it's very hard and needs a lot of practice. The opposite is the case.

The following videos describe how simple those funk sessions work:
The whole session (just begin with the first video)
only the longest clip
enjoy it!
Last edited by psicolor on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.psicolor.de

stiiiiiiive

Re: Video: How a funk session works

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:22 am

Would love to see that, but your link seems broken.

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks for the clue. fixed.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:30 am

Great vid, sounds good and funny!!! :) ("what bridge???" "I hate bridges!!" :D )

So you're doing that with a drum machine?? Amazing.
What are the loopers you use? I'm actually curious about syncing them to the drum machine. How do you guys do that?...

Thanks for sharing :)

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:25 pm

Thanks for watching and commenting.

The only loopers i know that really slave to a mmc without problems are electrix repeater and ehx 2880. I use a 2880 (the repeater is hard to get in germany). The DX7 has a plug for a footswitch, that controls the 2880 via midi.
I also tried the Kaoss Pad 3 and the Elektron Octatrack, but both machines have their difficulties when you slave them to an external midi clock. The KP3 doesnt keep the tempo and the octatrack applies ugly timestretching algorithms when the midi clock has jitter (and every external clock has jitter). Our guitarist uses the old digitech jamman, but there's a workaround which allows you to manually choose a fixed tempo (in bpm). Our bass player uses an rc300. It does not slave to midi (except to other rc300!!! What a shame), but it sends a midi clock.

The drums are all wavefiles that our bass player created at home at the computer. If i remind correctly the software he uses is called Abbey Road Drummer. Then he loads those wavefiles to his looper, where he creates banks of three different variations. The RC300 can also apply some effects like LPF or other stuff.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:18 am

Ok so you guys enter a given tempo in every looper, and hopla!

I use a 2880 too, nice looper indeed.
If you want a Electrix Repeater, I may be able to help you since they can be found here in France. PM me if interested :)

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:54 pm

I had the RC-2, liked it but no Midi clock so I sold it and bought the RC-3 come to find out that it wouldn't do what I wanted. I don't need much, just a simple loop so I picked up the Flashback x4. Awesome but ... surprise, Midi is only used for repeats, not for the looper... UGH!

I had a chat with the product mgr who explained that it would be too difficult, I said just assume 4/4 and if at end of loop just wait for next 24pqn whole measure division. He said "too complicated, we're a guitar effect company.

For as simple as Midi is and as long as it has been out, still major gap between it and many of the products being produced, case in point the EHX 8-step looper.

But back on topic, I liked your video but your bass player was a bit confusing since he wasn't playing that funk riff... now I know, it was pre-recorded : )

Was that a fair of some type? Reminds me of the county fair that we have yearly in my state except we usually hear watered down bluegrass (and when I say this, I mean not great bluegrass).
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:17 am

This was a free live-music festival some kind music lovers organize yearly at my home town.
We were the first band at 13:30 so there was not yet much going on, but a few hours later the masses came.

It's so great having a free festival next door!