Biggest Pipe Organ in the World (7 manuals)...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

Biggest Pipe Organ in the World (7 manuals)...

Post by EricK » Wed May 29, 2013 1:47 am

The Municipal Organ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh25I6Br9qU

From their website:

The organ's console is the biggest in the world. It has 1,235 stop tabs controlling 587 flue stops, 265 reed stops, 35 melodic percussions, 46 non-melodic percussions, 164 couplers, 18 tremolos, and 120 swell pedal selectors for the 7 swell pedals controlling 15 swell boxes. Officially, that comes to 33,114 pipes. The console is also the only one in the world with 7 manuals, of which the lower ones have been extended to 6 and even 7 octaves, opposed to the normal 5.

The Main Auditorium is a truly vast space (488 feet long, 288 feet wide, and 137 feet high, which comes to over 15 million cubic feet of space). To fill the place with sound, Emerson Richards designed an organ with some mind-boggling and previously unheard of specifications. These include ten 32-foot stops, a 64-foot stop (one of only two in the world), 10 stops on 50-inch wind pressure (most organ pipes are about 10-inch wind pressure) and four on 100 inches (a pressure not employed in any other organ).

The 100-inch stops are: Grand Ophicleide 16-8; Tuba Imperial 8, Tuba Maxima 8-4; Trumpet Mirabilis 16-8-4. They had to be specially designed so as to not turn into projectiles when played. The loudest of these, the Ophicleide produces 130 dB at 1 metre distance. Needless to say, it is recognized by Guiness as the loudest organ stop in the world.

An experiment was carried out in the 1950s when most of the organ was working. Everything was coupled to the Great, and when played, the ice cracked in the hockey floor of the hall and the organ could be heard (and felt) outside along the boardwalk nearly 1000 feet away from the organ console.

Unfortunately, the organ has fallen into a state of disrepair over recent decades, leaving it only partially playable. The Atlantic City Convention Hall Organ Society is working hard to preserve and restore this historic instrument.

Got cape?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

MC

Re: Biggest Pipe Organ in the World (7 manuals)...

Post by MC » Wed May 29, 2013 12:27 pm

But can it play "Jump"?

*makes futile attempt to duck roundhouse kick from Chuck Norris*
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Wed May 29, 2013 12:37 pm

I bet it CAN play "Jump.". That's just breathtaking. Santa Barbara restored its theater organ (Arlington Theater) a few years ago with donations. This organ needs to be heard too.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Yes, but there's so much a player can do with only two hands and two feet... :roll:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

metron

Post by metron » Wed May 29, 2013 2:44 pm

Skilled pipe organ players can do unbelievable things. I bet that thing fully functional sounds like the voice of the gods. Thanks for sharing.

Pipe organs and their history is interesting to me. I grew up a few miles from the original Wurlitzer plant in NY. I heard from my folks that a few decades back when the plant closed for good, a lot of stuff that we might find interesting and/or valuable went into dumpsters including bubbler jukebox stuff. Unfortunately not likely any electric piano parts as those were made in Illinois.
MF102, MF104M, CP251, Minitaur

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed May 29, 2013 3:19 pm

This is probably one of the greatest additive synthesizers in the world. I'm thinking about purchasing the documentary.
thealien666 wrote:Yes, but there's so much a player can do with only two hands and two feet... :roll:
That never stopped us from owning more than fout synths though, right?

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed May 29, 2013 3:50 pm

I plead guilty, as charged ! :lol:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

MC

Post by MC » Wed May 29, 2013 3:57 pm

thealien666 wrote:Yes, but there's so much a player can do with only two hands and two feet... :roll:
Some of us can do a little more when we're greatly aroused :mrgreen:
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Wed May 29, 2013 4:01 pm

MC wrote:But can it play "Jump"?

:lol: .....and the guitar-solo..... :lol:
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:24 pm

MC wrote:
Some of us can do a little more when we're greatly aroused :mrgreen:
...but I doubt that you could reach the first "organ" manual with it...(gratuitous and easy cheap shot) :lol: :lol:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed May 29, 2013 8:17 pm

metron wrote: Pipe organs and their history is interesting to me. I grew up a few miles from the original Wurlitzer plant in NY.
In that case you might want to check out "All the Stops" by Craig R. Whitney. It chronicles the history of the pipe organ and the famous musicians who played it; in particular E Power Biggs and Virgil Fox.

Google the title on Amazon...

- Greg

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Thu May 30, 2013 5:45 am

Here's a few more world records for pipe organs below.
The organ above is mentioned.

http://www.die-orgelseite.de/kurioses_e.htm
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Thu May 30, 2013 8:08 am

I love some of those modern ones - that one in Madison is a work of art in its own right.

I have sponsored the restoration of a 4' pipe in this organ near me:

Full restoration and concerts by next year. :D
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu May 30, 2013 1:21 pm

It's cool you supported the restoration of the organ. We have a whole theatre in my hometown (Saenger) that needs to be restored, but a lot of the community simply isn't interested. Their organ was sold long ago.

metron

Post by metron » Fri May 31, 2013 3:18 pm

GregAE wrote:
metron wrote: Pipe organs and their history is interesting to me. I grew up a few miles from the original Wurlitzer plant in NY.
In that case you might want to check out "All the Stops" by Craig R. Whitney. It chronicles the history of the pipe organ and the famous musicians who played it; in particular E Power Biggs and Virgil Fox.

Google the title on Amazon...

- Greg
Right on... I actually have that book! Unfortunately Wurlitzer is mentioned about 5 times and the author does nothing but mock the company and their organs. The so-called "mighty Wurlitzer"... Otherwise it's a decent book.
MF102, MF104M, CP251, Minitaur