Mono vs. Polyphonic

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
hooshirn

Mono vs. Polyphonic

Post by hooshirn » Tue May 28, 2013 6:23 pm

Here is another topic brain fart'n

Does the problem many people have with virtual analog lye in the fact that it is just too accurate at playing chord's?
I don't currently have a polyphonic analog but I was noticing something in multi tracking my Voyager
As compared to the Ultranova my current digital synth
analog seems to take up more sonic space
Fat I guess
That can be both good and bad depending on what you are doing
for what I'm attempting it just seems to leave me less room to manuver sonically
I'm starting to come to the conclusion that Analog work's much better
in a monophonic context as that shows off it's organically evolving sound more effectively.
and it is these same evolving inaccuracy's that wash things out a bit sonicaly chord wise.
A matter of preference I suppose
I just prefer hearing more detail playing mono and less massive chorusing sucking up all the sonic space.
I'm just not itching for a polyphonic analog synth these day's
what I am itching for is a Oberhiem SEM Pro you never know.
Voyager XL, Minitaur,Theremen+, Fooger's, Midi delay and Midi murf, Freq box X 2, Ring mod, 101 Filter, Novation ultra station, ZR 76, MC808, Bent Casio's, 3 Speak and Spell's , M audio black box,Korg Monotribe, Ipad's with Animoog, Filtron on and on..

EricK

Re: Mono vs. Polyphonic

Post by EricK » Tue May 28, 2013 7:41 pm

This reminds me of a thread that got started a long time ago where the member made almost the exact same argument. It eventually went so bizarre that the guy was banned and I believe the thread was deleted.

I know what you mean though. I recently got to play a Model D for the first time back in March and we did a Mini/Voyager duet and sometimes I felt like there was simply no room to play (I was on the Voyager). I was getting clobbered by the wall of sound that was coming out. I had to play well out of his register so as not to muddy up everything. His polymoog sounded excellent though, but to your point, it would have been hard to lay down anything else over it because there was quite a lot going on with his program. He was using the poly almost as a solo instrument with his soundscapes. The speakers he used really did it justice.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

museslave

Post by museslave » Tue May 28, 2013 7:45 pm

I always assert that the analog synthesizer is best multi-tracked.
Polyphonic synthesizers have to take shortcuts. The Oberheim 8-Voice is too expensive and complicated for most people... but if you were really to make a true analog polyphonic synthesizer, you SHOULD require control over the timbre, frequency, and amplitude of each individual voice. Synthesizers where you get to choose ONE voice and apply it to a number of notes are really just a shortcut.
If you multi-track a monophonic, you have the ability to create the orchestra of timbre that you envision, and not just plunk down a chord that is played by the same timbre and amplitude.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:57 pm

I agree with Marc (museslave). That's why the Oberheim 8 Voice is such a fantastic instrument, despite having some quirkiness and some limitations. (drooling.....)
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

hooshirn

Post by hooshirn » Wed May 29, 2013 2:38 am

I think what I'm trying to describe is the Mini Moog's Monophonic contribution not being a limiting factor but driving a new kind
of music, more so than the later polyphonic synthesizers

New sounds delivered by musicians thinking in monophonic terms
inventing bass's and leads quirky blips and rhythmic blap's that had more impact on synthesis's popularity

I just found this aspect of early electronic music more interesting than the huge pad prophet five Oberheim thing

It certainly sounds great in some situations just not as high impact as the monophonic Mini Moog's and others

I think current laptop creators like the way analog has been tamed virtually
Most often this is not to my taste but I can certainly hear it listening to a few current electronica examples that shall remain nameless
Voyager XL, Minitaur,Theremen+, Fooger's, Midi delay and Midi murf, Freq box X 2, Ring mod, 101 Filter, Novation ultra station, ZR 76, MC808, Bent Casio's, 3 Speak and Spell's , M audio black box,Korg Monotribe, Ipad's with Animoog, Filtron on and on..

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:59 am

Music is an art form, not a popularity contest. Unless one only wants to make a profit out of it.

So if creamy, lush polyphonic pads are what a musician is looking for, there are unbeatable instruments like the Oberheim 8 Voice that can provide them. You can do the same using a multi-tracked monophonic synth, but not without some serious time and efforts. Back in Switched On Bach days, that was the only choice available. Fortunately things have evolved since then.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Wed May 29, 2013 12:23 pm

Correct! ~ with the number of oscillators in a Voyager you can play 'chords' tuning them — which will also work with any number of other monosynths and/or combinations
<That Patchpoint SEM is probably enough by the way, Shoehorn — imagine you will be just as delighted with it as I am ~ the MIDI i/o isn't so important when you have an XL and/or VX-351/CP-251s and foogers etc. >

generally i prefer doing my 'multi-tracking' LIVE — setting up sequencers/arps and ENOUGH monos before you hit record. If you are going to multi-track 'side-by-heach' - i.e. overdub ~ may as well go all out and use the digital tools available too but yeah, i am not a fan of the über obie vanhalen 'JUMP' sound... DSI prophet too..meh

imho, as far as polyphony nothing beats playing a piano/organ/clav THRU the audio in on your mono synth
and/or just playing them straight in a mix is cool too — individual parts add up nicely
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

Box

Post by Box » Thu May 30, 2013 5:00 pm

Walter/Wendy Carlos "Switched on Bach" comes to mind. I can't imagine how much work went into making that happen.

Each type of synthesizer has their place in the world. Rather they be digital or analogue, polyphonic or monophonic. Use them all and you have all there is to be offered at your fingertips.

You could always get 6 or more Slim Phatty modules to chain together for a monophonically operated poly synth. :P

Dannko

Post by Dannko » Thu May 30, 2013 5:10 pm

Box wrote:Walter/Wendy Carlos "Switched on Bach" comes to mind. I can't imagine how much work went into making that happen.

Each type of synthesizer has their place in the world. Rather they be digital or analogue, polyphonic or monophonic. Use them all and you have all there is to be offered at your fingertips.

You could always get 6 or more Slim Phatty modules to chain together for a monophonically operated poly synth. :P
Great thought, all the synthesizers are good and they all have fans and haters. You should just find yours one.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Box wrote:Walter/Wendy Carlos "Switched on Bach" comes to mind...
Isn't that exactly what I wrote ?

Maybe it would be wise to read all the messages in a thread, before posting a reply, as to be up to date on the discussion ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion