Interesting Synth history video

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EMwhite

Interesting Synth history video

Post by EMwhite » Thu May 23, 2013 5:44 pm

"Museum of Synthesizer Technology"

You might have seen this already, may have hated it, but maybe it's new to you and you'll like it. It starts out kind of slow and quirky but stay with it until you hear something that interests you.

Bob is seen walking one of the narrators through the modular and talking about the mini a bit around 1/2 way through. As much video of Bob as I've seen, I'm not sure I've seen him during this time period of his life; he's either quite young, or in his late 60's early 70's. He looks to be in his late 50s here (guessing).

My favorite parts are the PPG parts and the EMS parts, primarily because I rarely see anything about these two sets of instruments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SK7ki3W ... =endscreen
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

misterpete

Re: Interesting Synth history video

Post by misterpete » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Cool ~ EMS is a total mystery - allegedly still in business but the website was last updated in 1998 and according to one happy owner on youTUBE ~ it's a 12 year waiting list to buy one (tell that to the folks waiting for Sub Phatti!) :lol:
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:42 pm

EMS is still very much in business. It's now run by Robin Wood who has been with the company since its heyday. Yes, the waiting times are long, but last time I spoke with Robin the VCS3 waiting time is now estimated at 2 years. The Synthi models are no longer available due to a shortage of cases and even if he finds a supplier the AKS model will not ever be made again due to lack to parts for the sequencer.

There is a BBC program called (IIRC) "the future of music" which is all about EMS and really very interesting, I can't find it on YT though !
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:49 pm

There is a BBC program called (IIRC) "the future of music" which is all about EMS and really very interesting, I can't find it on YT though !
Whoops, sorry it's called "What the future sounded like", and here is the link: http://youtu.be/8KkW8Ul7Q1I
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:26 am

I posted this somewhere else.. (I think it was within RomanF's for-sale thread on Muffs when he was selling his 'kit'; as usual, I didn't have the $1,200 when I needed it!) but of the many Synthi vids on the net, this one is the best. And when I say "the best" I mean from a technical overview and workings point of view.

You'll see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN3J74ghRP0
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:59 am

very nice! ~ i just watched Klaus Schulze gushing about his in this clip again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW0aPqL73v0
Eno says much the same thing about his in that book I posted a link too recently

1200! :cry: missing that kind of a deal could haunt you.

...between the Telemetry & the modular gear I've been accumulating, I know I have the potential to unearth equally novel soundscape territory but of course no matter how many times you tell yourself that it is always a great thrill to get your hands on these classic instruments. Sure it may not sound identical how could it? ~ when even in the hands of somebody like Klaus after 30 years says he would be hard pressed to get the same sound out of the thing twice :D
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:33 pm

Well it wasn't a complete system; was the A B and C boards mostly stuffed including all hard to find parts, a set of proper knobs, power supply, you had to obtain most of the pots, reverb tank, build a case, etc. I've got too many science projects and, oh yeah, no money! :lol:

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:03 am

I restored a lot of the gear in that video.
Most Moog modulars, Buchlas, an Arp 2500, EMU mods and some Minimoogs.
There's a book that goes with the video.
In it, there's a photo of several minimoogs all together, but one has a blue pilot light.
I'm responsible for that sacrilege. Sorry.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

nicholas d. kent

Post by nicholas d. kent » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:45 am

That video is rather nostalgic. I miss Bob of course. Not that I was ever at the museum though I do remember seeing a sizable piece of it in the basement of Turnkey in London in 1998. Might have been a sell off because of divorce? Turnkey is gone of course too.

There is a photo book about the museum but it wasn't directly tied in with the video. It wasn't made at the same time as far as I know though I'm sure when sold a bundle option on both would be available. I've also seen DVDs with additional longer, less edited material from the taping sessions.

Yes, as I understand it EMS has been in operation since the 1960s with a not very long gap decades ago when they closed. Since that pause Robin Wood has been running it and they are a tiny operation which frustrates people in that he does make new synths but at an incredibly slow pace. People don't actually pay in advance so no one is up in arms but the waiting list is around a decade long. I think a friend was on it for at least 8 years and had a couple used ones by the time his new one was ready so he called EMS and said to give it to the next person waiting rather than flip it for a profit which shows his ethics.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:22 am

As someone said above the wait time is now two years-ish. The new units are now in the wild. I just ordered a VCS3 a couple of months ago. Robin is also trying to find a work a round for new synthi's. He did not tell me what it was/is /??? but if he comes up with one I can transfer my order. So I wait.

MC

Post by MC » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:45 am

I got the book years ago. Lots of great pictures, esp of the ARP and Moog modulars.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi