what should moog release next?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

what should moog release next

"more affordable synthesizer"
8%
vocoder
5%
drum machine
13%
modular
11%
new moogerfooger (mf style)
10%
new moogerfooger (cp 251 style)
14%
self contained poly synth
39%

Total votes: 202

martin

Post by martin » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:35 pm

green eggs and sliders

i will not touch them in the rain
i will not touch them on a train
i will not touch them with a fox
i will not touch them in a box

i don't like sliders on a chair
i don't like sliders anywhere

i will not use them in a bar
they're no good for a-d-s-r
they were no good on my old rogue
they were no good on any moog

they are an awkward compromise
they're not as good as knobs, you guys
they tend to sound like camping fires
because the dust gets in the wires

i don't like sliders in the snow
that would be too cold, you know
i do not wanth em on a pod
i do not want them, period

i do not want them on my sizer
nor in my sushi appetizer
i do not want them cold or hot
i do not want them, i do not

i do not want them with my fish
they don't belong with any dish
i don't want sliders topped with lox
i do not want them in my socks

i will not touch them here or there
i will not touch them anywhere
i don't want sliders for control
not even in a sausage roll

not in bagels, not with rice
on the rocks or without ice
not with poppy seeds on top
not in beer or fizzy pop

not with fish or beans or fries
not in cakes or apple pies
i don't want sliders, they're not nice
not even with your sound advice

i do not like them in quebec
i do not like them in rye neck
i do not like them in in the hood
i do not like them, they're no good

they are not even ergonomic
they make the sound all wrong and comic
i will not touch another slider
sie sind ganz schrecklich, leider, leider

i will not push them up or down
i will not use them in a gown
i will not even look their way
i really think they're not okay

i do not want them in the mail
i do not want them in a pail
i don't want sliders on the fence
i don't want sliders, take them hence

not on a truck, not with a duck
not with me, you're out of luck
they do not work, not like a knob
they do not do a proper job

this_poison

Post by this_poison » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:44 am

I'd like to see a consolidated moog expander.

Not like an RME, but a unit incorporating the breakout box, the Moog pedals and loads of multiples with user adjustable voltages.

Nothing new sonically I grant you, but with wooden cheeks and dimensions to match the Voyager panel it would be a dream for me.

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:38 am

analogcontrolfreak wrote:I see the "more affordable synthesizer" has the most votes.
I think it's a good idea.....I mean.... do you guys know why there are so many god damn high school kids learning guitar and not analog synthesis???
THE COST!!!!.....

I am so sick of music being standardized by the almighty AXE......guitars are interesting but there are just way too many people playing them....
I am so sick of the 4 person band.... two lead guitars, a bass, drums and one of the guitar players singing......(all male)......
gahhhh....

This is why I am so surprised that the Moogfoogers came about....and Moog only releasing one uber expensive synth.....it's like we gave into the guitar industry and we are their bitch.....meanwhile Korg and others have met the needs of the struggling experimental musician

That's why I am so attracted to bands these days with synths, girls singing, wind instruments, string instruments or any combination of the above

Then again, maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.....you be the judge

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:45 am

I think it's a good idea.....I mean.... do you guys know why there are so many god damn high school kids learning guitar and not analog synthesis???
THE COST!!!!.....
That might be one of several reasons. But I think the main reason is because it's faster to get up and running with a guitar. Keyboards are more difficult and usually require more effort to learn initially to be able to play in a band.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

this_poison

Post by this_poison » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:37 pm

Not sure I buy this low cost chain of thought (much as I'd like to).

How cheap could you make it without losing the whole Moog appeal?

Analog comes at a cost, it's not the cheapest of solutions (although fashion keeps the second hand stuff buoyant).

Building to a budget, could Moog ever compete with Korg or Roland? Would we want them too? Could it feel and look like a Moog? If it did, would there be any money left to make it sound like a Moog?

Isn't a Pulse, a Microcon or any old SH/CS/MS or Prodigy/Rogue filling any potential market here (unless the mono Moog price is REALLY low - which seems unlikely)?

I'd love a new scaled down mono Moog, just can't see it.

martin

Post by martin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:43 pm

the point is not a low cost synth but a low_er_ cost synth. i think it might be feasible, unless it's the same like with flights where a single flight costs the same as a round trip.

two oscillators instead of three, and one filter instead of two, no touchscreen, no os (ncluding software development etc)...
should be a bit cheaper, but of no worse quality than the voyager, because just a few of the mmv components that not everyone really needs, would be cut out of the scheme.

so it would probably be more expensive than your average korgi or yamama, but it would in essence still be a very good knobby synthesizer that easily outmoogs the build/sound quality of the mentioned boards

if it were a modular system you'd combine the modules available to your liking & wallet, too.

i don't think by making a funkymoog you would be losing the moog appeal. on the contrary, you'd be giving the real moog deal to more people who don't want to spend all their happy money on a synth but want to save some for food and rent. (and foogers.)
Last edited by martin on Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:08 pm

MarkM wrote: That might be one of several reasons. But I think the main reason is because it's faster to get up and running with a guitar. Keyboards are more difficult and usually require more effort to learn initially to be able to play in a band.
I'm not so sure I agree.....I think someone could pickup how to use a keyboard or monophonic synth much much quicker then a guitar.....have you ever tried to manipulate your left hand to press down the correct strings for the right chord then strum with the other hand??? In my mind that is much more difficult then pushing a bunch of black and white keys in a straight line......

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:33 pm

I like the poem.
electrical_engineer_gEEk wrote:
analogcontrolfreak wrote:I see the "more affordable synthesizer" has the most votes.
THE COST!!!!.....

I am so sick of music being standardized by the almighty AXE......guitars are interesting but there are just way too many people playing them....
I am so sick of the 4 person band.... two lead guitars, a bass, drums and one of the guitar players singing......(all male)......
gahhhh....

This is why I am so surprised that the Moogfoogers came about....and Moog only releasing one uber expensive synth.....it's like we gave into the guitar industry and we are their bitch.....meanwhile Korg and others have met the needs of the struggling experimental musician

That's why I am so attracted to bands these days with synths, girls singing, wind instruments, string instruments or any combination of the above

Then again, maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.....you be the judge
I've been playing guitar longer than I've been playing synth. Frankly, I'm sick of looking at that lineup you mentioned. But I'm also sick of this lineup: drums, guitar, bass, microKorg. Is is just me or is everyone buying these things lately. It's not even like they are some great deal or a great synth. It's decent, but you can better stuff for the same price of less, even new.

The new found popularity of this "synthesizer" is starting to piss me off. My band Circuit Pop starting playing our own breed of electro way before it was cool. Now, instead of getting any recognition, we are lumped in with any jackass who owns a microKorg.

But seriously, synthesizers are becoming the new guitars in a way. They are reaching more and more music and everyone is buying that damn microKorg. I think if moog released a synth to compete on the market, people would buy it. I hate to say it, but everybody wants a piece of that timeless logo. People love those wood pannels. They would spend the extra dollar to get it. Of course, a comprimise in quality would be unacceptable. Just less components.
-Tyler2000-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:09 pm

I think you're right about synths becoming more popular, and it's the Microkorgs and Microns that are interesting people. However, I feel laptops and softsynths will be the dominating instruments. Computers and softsynths offer the general public the opportunity to create a full array of music at minimum cost, and in some instances, at minimum of effort.
Mark Mahoney

analogcontrolfreak

Post by analogcontrolfreak » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:07 pm

My reason for wanting Moog to make a more affordabel synth is basiclly, money. Like most people on here myself incuded, don't have a great deal of money to spend on a synth. Of course I do find older Moog synths on ebay for relatively cheap, but so do twenty other people. Plus the are not too many places near my area selling vintage analog synths. If I were to buy a synth I would like to do it without spending alot of money. That's why compnies like Korg have made a relitively inesonsive synth, like the microkorg. This is because most synths run in the $1,000.00 range. I have seen a Korg Triton le on ebay start at low bis say $100.00 and twenty people will jump on it because of the low price. People want the keybaord, they just aren't going to spend a great deal of money on it

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:36 pm

lets just say i've seen quite a few bands with microkorg and quite a few bands with a voyager......

I really haven't been terribly impressed with the voyager bands.... it's all these glorified gear heads who obviously have really nice day jobs and no music talent at all......whereas the struggling musician with the cheap synth, a ton of time programming his own patches and a boatload of energy takes the stage and blows my mind......

I think sometimes there are other factors then sound when it comes to musical performances.......

I'd just love to see these poor musicians get their hands on a Voyager....now there will be an awesome performance of epic proportion!

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:44 pm

Sorry about all these nasty messages on this post....
I guess what it comes down to is this....
I grew up in a place where we all looked down on arena rock bands, we were sick of seeing music as the unreachable godlike skill only wielded by the rich and few. We wanted to rock out ourselves......we believed in the whole punk rock/independent revolution..... and darn it, we didn't want to buy an AXE from the local guitar shop....we wanted to experiment!!!!

I still carry this with me everywhere I go.....

I love Moog with all my heart but sometimes I feel it holds a place in the Arena Rock, Big Record Label, Elitist category......and gosh darn it....i wish it didn't .......

I think everyone deserves to feel a warm moog under their fingertips....
And I feel bad it took me so many years to save up enough for a crappy second hand moog that's rusting at the seams.....

I wish i was all outta angst

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:04 am

There's nothing wrong with the Ions and microkorgs out there. They make great sounds at a reasonable price. There are also some reasonably priced analogues out there like Future Retro. The digital synths do wonderful things. It's not like there aren't instruments for the poor musicians. I've seen several tiny unknown Indie bands roll in around here with Marshall full stacks, a bevy of stompboxes, and Les Pauls. If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way to make the money to get one.

The point is there are plenty of affordable synths out there. The poor aren't being deprived. I'd like a new Mercedes S series, but I can's afford it. But somehow, I have found less expensive cars that get me to the same place the Mercedes would take me.

I would like to see Moog stay on the course that keeps them in business and making quality instruments. If it means higher priced synths, then so be it. I personally don't think the Voyager is that far out of line price-wise. There are plenty of Japanese digital synths out there that cost about the same. But the Japanese companies are huge and can afford to have synths at different price points.
Mark Mahoney

CTRLSHFT

mofo a-go-go

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:41 am

honestly i'm stuck between the concept of a new rogue/prodigy versus a moogerfooger style tone generator.

In keeping with the fooger style i think the tone generator makes the most sense though, and if nothing else, it'd make a worthy companion to the voyager. For people who don't have the money for a voyager, but do have a midi-cv converter (presuming the tone generator wouldn't have midi), the thing would be GREAT in conjunction with another mofo or two. I'm giddy thinking of the possibilies, and already doing alot of that in conjunction with my other cv-oriented monosynths.

There's got to be enough interest out there to merit a moogerfooger style tone generator being made. the cp-251 is a big indication of this. Seems like a natural progression to me.

Here's to zeee future!
www.ctrlshft.com

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:38 pm

electrical_engineer_gEEk wrote:lets just say i've seen quite a few bands with microkorg and quite a few bands with a voyager......

I really haven't been terribly impressed with the voyager bands.... it's all these glorified gear heads who obviously have really nice day jobs and no music talent at all......whereas the struggling musician with the cheap synth, a ton of time programming his own patches and a boatload of energy takes the stage and blows my mind......

I think sometimes there are other factors then sound when it comes to musical performances.......

I'd just love to see these poor musicians get their hands on a Voyager....now there will be an awesome performance of epic proportion!
I've seen good bands with a microKorg/Ion and I've seen bad bands with the same. I'm not saying you can't make good music on a budget. I'm saying that as this trend grows, sellouts emerge. I'm sure we all hate sellouts - people who make generic, for-the-public versions of genres we've loved and cultivated. Block Party, The Bravery, and Gwen Steffani. These are our enemies. They are the first wave of electro-sellouts.
-Tyler2000-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad