what should moog release next?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

what should moog release next

"more affordable synthesizer"
8%
vocoder
5%
drum machine
13%
modular
11%
new moogerfooger (mf style)
10%
new moogerfooger (cp 251 style)
14%
self contained poly synth
39%

Total votes: 202

sunny pedaal

Re: what should moog release next?

Post by sunny pedaal » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:39 am

yeh , everything has two sides , hasn't it..
hope they hit the jackpot then, and it doesn't get them hooked either

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:07 pm

I'm sorry to say I was disappointed when I found out about Animoog. I'm certainly of the opinion that Moog ought to stick to analog synthesis,and continue development of the great analog products they have, as well as new instruments. All this focus on software and apps is really worrying me. I feel like they're wasting their time and their priorities are all messed up. They keep saying "We have such a huge surprise for everyone, it's gonna blow your MIND!" and then it turns out to be a Moog store or an iPhone app or something completely off the wall like the OMG-1. What is Moog doing? Who is making these manic decisions? I want the old Moog back, the one that built analog synthesizers and effects pedals. Remember that?
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:07 pm

Kenneth wrote:I'm sorry to say I was disappointed when I found out about Animoog. I'm certainly of the opinion that Moog ought to stick to analog synthesis,and continue development of the great analog products they have, as well as new instruments. All this focus on software and apps is really worrying me. I feel like they're wasting their time and their priorities are all messed up. They keep saying "We have such a huge surprise for everyone, it's gonna blow your MIND!" and then it turns out to be a Moog store or an iPhone app or something completely off the wall like the OMG-1. What is Moog doing? Who is making these manic decisions? I want the old Moog back, the one that built analog synthesizers and effects pedals. Remember that?

First of all. The new apps is great. And I can play it with my hardware.

Second, Moog has been releasing as many new hardware products as they have software. They just started to ship the mf-108, the Slim Phatty is a year (give or take a couple months) old. The T3 is not all that old and neither is the 105m (yes that one is a redevelopment). So how much new hardware can a small company bring to market per year even in a good economy without doing real harm to the bottom line? DSI does not bring out that many new hardware products in the past year they have one, the new drum machine. Tom Oberheim has one (kind of)? And Mr O's is a remake. Lets look at what the big players do. They just rehash the same old synth year after year with very little true development. Y,R and K have all the money in the world and what do we get? Why bother with that?

Developing apps and software might even be more lucrative then hardware. Once the software is developed you don't need a team of very skilled labour to manufacture boxes, no living wages, no medical benefits no vacation time off and no shipping costs. At that point It's all done except for some upgrades and bug crushing. Income from apps can be used to fund other R & D hardware products. Also well designed apps GET and KEEP the name out there. Guess what very few high school kids have the money for Voyagers Little Phattys etc.. ,but they have the coin for a $30 app (that they are probably more comfortable with anyways). But when they are older and have $3500 to toss around they will remember Moog. They once had this cool little app that they recorded their first downloadable album with. Thats what the youth of today do, or the cassette thing ( that one I just don't get). Yes software is very forward thinking. It could also mean survival and new hardware products or chapter 13. My guess is that Moog would sell millions of big new modules synths every year. I don't know about you but I don't have the money to buy a new Moog synth or Mooger Foogers every month but I can buy a few new cool apps whenever I want.

Creative folks will make music on anything hardware,software or stones.

Step right up, the waters fine and it's the 21st century!

Slabwax

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:58 am

Slabwax, good points. I think I'm just getting a little paranoid is all. Maybe I should actually try the new apps before I pass judgement.

angelus00

Post by angelus00 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi,
My first choice would be a poly slim phatty, my second is modular and my third is change all the moogerfoogers to CP style (and release a decent dual VCO).
In fact I think that Moog missed a great opportunity with the design of the MFs. If they had designed them CP-style we would already have a near modular system without all the hasle of the non-sense "pedal" aproach (In My Humble Opinion).
All the best.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:03 pm

I first approached Moog from a bass/guitar perspective. The CP-251 did not make sense to me until I realised it wasn't a guitar pedal. "Too many cables going everywhere."

Then I clicked and started off on a synthesizer journey. I really doubt I would have got into it if the MFs were presented as modules.

The guitar market is much larger than the synth world and the ability to cross over is a stroke of genius on Moog's part.

mhuxtable

Post by mhuxtable » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:42 pm

Kenneth wrote:Slabwax, good points. I think I'm just getting a little paranoid is all. Maybe I should actually try the new apps before I pass judgement.
Wait you were complaining and hadn't even played it yet??? :roll:

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:23 am

mhuxtable wrote: Wait you were complaining and hadn't even played it yet??? :roll:
I don't see a problem with that if you're not comfortable with this direction. Sure Apps is where it's all at, but how about instead of spending resources on these spending some time updating the T3 and creating an editor for that? Moog would probably charge for an T3 editor, I think most people would be fine with that. And we would pay more than 99c, but I guess with such a smaller market they're going for where the big bucks are. Which is fine, but for those who have no interest in iPads and who have actually spent quite a bit on Moog products I think it would be nice to hear something about some T3 updates.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

patobrujo

Post by patobrujo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:54 am

Mr Arkadin wrote:
mhuxtable wrote: Wait you were complaining and hadn't even played it yet??? :roll:
I don't see a problem with that if you're not comfortable with this direction. Sure Apps is where it's all at, but how about instead of spending resources on these spending some time updating the T3 and creating an editor for that? Moog would probably charge for an T3 editor, I think most people would be fine with that. And we would pay more than 99c, but I guess with such a smaller market they're going for where the big bucks are. Which is fine, but for those who have no interest in iPads and who have actually spent quite a bit on Moog products I think it would be nice to hear something about some T3 updates.
I don't have any problems with moog releasing apps but i totally agree with you in the T3 issues, it's been a long wait since the T3 where put on the streets, and the synth have some major issues like the hanging midi notes. I think Moog should release a T3 update just to show some respect to the T3 buyers
..::PATOBRUJO::..

mhuxtable

Post by mhuxtable » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:29 pm

I've spent PLENTY of money on Moog products too....and I'm glad they're putting out Apps. Have you emailed Moog about the T3 editor? they really do listen to their customers I think. And who's to say they're not working on a T3 editor?

I'm excited to incorporate the Animoog with my Little Phatty, 6 Moogerfoogers & CP251, E1 guitar....just another member of my happy family. All you naysayers can dis the Animoog WITHOUT EVEN PLAYING IT and I'll be creating new sounds :lol:

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:48 pm

mhuxtable wrote:I've spent PLENTY of money on Moog products too....and I'm glad they're putting out Apps. Have you emailed Moog about the T3 editor? they really do listen to their customers I think. And who's to say they're not working on a T3 editor?

I'm excited to incorporate the Animoog with my Little Phatty, 6 Moogerfoogers & CP251, E1 guitar....just another member of my happy family. All you naysayers can dis the Animoog WITHOUT EVEN PLAYING IT and I'll be creating new sounds :lol:
+1 lots of $ spent here as well; got AniMoog on my daughters iPad it's incredible. I doubt I'll be using it for my own music production but when I'm sitting around, it's a terrific way to stay creative and entertain myself (and at times annoy others!)

Keep up the good work Moog. If nothing else [people] this type of effort keeps Moog on the minds of the masses, provides an avenue for much deserved recognition and provides income for other endeavors.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:52 pm

mhuxtable:

I didn't mean any disrespect toward Animoog or its users. Also, I realize the error in judging a book by its cover. I guess I'm just a bit uncomfortable with Moog's recent shift toward digital emulations of analog instruments, rather than actual analog instruments as they're known for. It's just an opinion, and it doesn't mean the Moog apps are crap or evil or anything like that.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:30 pm

...but as the company's user base has come from an analogue perspective, one would hope they might continue in this direction and not become another K, R or Y.

Interestingly, a company slogan used to be "uncontaminated by the digital world."

mhuxtable

Post by mhuxtable » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:47 am

Kenneth wrote:mhuxtable:

I didn't mean any disrespect toward Animoog or its users. Also, I realize the error in judging a book by its cover. I guess I'm just a bit uncomfortable with Moog's recent shift toward digital emulations of analog instruments, rather than actual analog instruments as they're known for. It's just an opinion, and it doesn't mean the Moog apps are crap or evil or anything like that.
LOL what shift??

Because of 2 apps? And their software editors? They just released a guitar, a Taurus reissue, Slim Phatty, Cluster Flux.....along with their Little Phatty, the lot of MoogerFoogers and controllers, all the Voyagers.....so amongst all that you think a couple apps is a shift to digital? Cmon dude....lighten up.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:30 am

seems that any healthy remark on some course subjects are difficult dealt with ?
getting personally and so..
i think it good to give an old friend some advice even if he disaproves, no matter if you agree or not, the matters brought above worry me, also the t3 subject worries. indeed it's no disastrous thing , so lets not react that way to each other. but people asking month's and month's for bug releases and then seeing the newest moog products might have some difficulties swallowing a bit . no more, but that's reality too.
so please don't start questioning each other on the size of being into moog and being loyal or so, it's a matter of free speech and commitment