what should moog release next?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

what should moog release next

"more affordable synthesizer"
8%
vocoder
5%
drum machine
13%
modular
11%
new moogerfooger (mf style)
10%
new moogerfooger (cp 251 style)
14%
self contained poly synth
39%

Total votes: 202

jamezdd73

Post by jamezdd73 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:10 am

Voltor07 wrote:Beautiful mock up...I'd like to make one minor change though. :) Make the back a square, and make it deep enough to hold either a Moog LP or Voyager. Then I would DEFINITELY buy it for 4-6 grand! :mrgreen:
Now that's something I'd save up some pennies for. It'd look beautiful. The above mockups are quite delicious as well.
Little Phatty Stage II #3602, MoogerFooger CP-251 #1785
MF-103 12 Stage Phaser #6093, MF-104m Analog Delay #0301
--
My band: www.facebook.com/InstantMorning

smut

Post by smut » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:53 am

8 Voice Polyphatty: On the right is la little space for controlling something more.

* I whish a second Filter
* maybe noise
* and the possibility for easy changing the filter (6/12/18/24-db LP/HP) each patch and storing.
*Stereo out.

Option: only a box with 8 voices, playable from LP or an expander.

at last a Stereo-MF-101 or a possibility to control 2 of them identically from one.

That's all.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:45 am

smut wrote: at last a Stereo-MF-101 or a possibility to control 2 of them identically from one.
audio out left to 1st mf101, audio out right to 2nd mf101, turn amount to 0 on 2nd mf101, patch envelope out from 1st mf101 to cutoff of 2nd mf101 OR envelope out to cp251 to invert,lag,or what have you then to 2nd mf101 cutoff. I believe that should give you a stereo filter
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

MC

Post by MC » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:54 am

The LP is a nice monophonic but the architecture is not flexible enough. It would be a rudimentary polyphonic.

The Voyager is better equipped and can be chained as part of a polyphonic system. But if you bought six Voyager RMEs, five of them have redundant pots and switches which cost $$$.

A good solution is Voyager brains with no pots. This reduces the $$$ for a polyphonic system and all you need is a Voyager or editing software. Add as many brains to create an N-voice polyphonic. Much like the Oberheim SEM polyphonic.

You gotta remember this is coming from someone who cut his teeth on a Memorymoog - I got a lot of mileage out of that thing. The LP does not have the modulation capabilities of the Memorymoog and that can open a lot of doors to tone varieties. The Voyager modulation does exceed that of the Memorymoog though.

Moog would do good to study the (ARP) Rhodes Chroma (not Polaris) as an example on how to do a proper hardware design for a polyphonic:
  • * DACs on the voice cards. This reduces connector density and eliminates oxidation problems that wreak havoc with CVs. Many of the classic polyphonics' put the DACs separate from the voice cards and carry the CV through connectors. Their infamy with reliability is due to oxidation of connector contacts which degrades CV (and hence tuning).
    * Configurable voice cards. The Chroma voice architecture can be configured in 15 different systems, each giving a radically different sound.
    * The last two design features give you multitimbrality.
    * S&Hs with fast/slow update paths. The Chroma used software EGs and LFOs which gave it a flexibility not possible with hardware EGs (and they're quite snappy enough). The fast update paths were used for EGs/LFOs while the slow update paths were used for pitch/filter/VCA CVs that did not require high speed updating. This took a big load off the microprocessor.
    * A dual DAC system in that the main DAC's reference voltage is the output of a reference DAC. What this did was permit range AND scale to be under control of the microprocessor. The Chroma had the fastest autotune in the west thanks to this system - one second for all eight voices. For each voice, it generated a low and high CV for expected frequencies and measured the actual frequencies at those CVs. Now you can solve for range and scale using the classic linear y = mx + B formula. Because it was so fast, the Chroma could autotune behind the scenes on voices that were inactive.
No keyboard necessary - keeps the $$$ down and there are plenty of MIDI devices out there. But please don't give us a control interface of the Chroma interface - too slow for a serious polyphonic. The Voyager interface is a good compromise with the basic controls on the surface, and LCD menu system for getting into the deep stuff.

I've been studying the design of classic VCO-based polyphonics, and the Chroma struck me as a superior design. When those ARP guys got down to work, they could really put out a maverick design.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

smut

Post by smut » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:39 pm

@ColorForm2113
thx dor the info

@MC:
with the voyager it would be fine to.

the most important is "polyphonic" :D

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:14 pm

6 voyagers brains and we're easily back up into the stratosphere price-wise. I don't think 3 oscs +voyagers other features on a poly would be prudent for them even a little bit, even if it was a "special project" synth like the Taurus III. It'd make the thing just too expensive.

2 Oscs with a more flexible modulation system, and maybe a HPF like the Voyager has would be more than enough to create a great poly at a price point in reach for more than 12 people. Guess we'll see what they cook up.
www.ctrlshft.com

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:37 pm

MC wrote:The LP is a nice monophonic but the architecture is not flexible enough. It would be a rudimentary polyphonic.
Thats the whole idea - a basic poly with real Moog sound, at a price point we can all afford. Huge sounding pads, but no frills. No sense it trying to out-do the Andromeda - theres just no way Moog could bring it in anywhere near the $3k price point. Moog could build the ultimate 16-voice $6k+ poly monster, but they would never be able to sell enough of them to recoup the development & tool-up costs.

MC

Post by MC » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:49 pm

No sense trying to out-do the Andromeda.

No sense trying to re-invent the Polymoog either, which is what a polyphonic LP will sound like.

It doesn't have to be the ultimate poly monster, but I've progressed past the "basic poly" years ago.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:55 pm

So how many voices then do you think are acceptable?

I say 10 is a nice number. You now if you go < 8 then people will cry "But the Prophet...", but if you go more than 8 then the $ factor comes into play.

In a self contained unit (hopefully one that will hold the Voyager on its chassis) how many voices?

I don't think I would want to buy a Moog synth just to turn around and get a cheap MIDI controller to go with it.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

MC

Post by MC » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:15 pm

Most of us already have MIDI controllers.

I use a Kurzweil MIDIBoard. Weighted action, velocity and release sensitive, control of all my MIDI devices, polyphonic aftertouch - one serious controller.

If the moog polysynth had a rudimentary keyboard integrated into it, it is redundant as I am going to control it from the superior MIDIBoard.

SE does alright without integrated keyboards on their synths.

Christopher Winkels

Post by Christopher Winkels » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:20 pm

To quote the LOLcats:

Do want!

I like the idea of adding some of the secondary (menu) controls like noise, filter poles, secondary modulation routings, etc. and adding them to a control space on the right hand side.

Other than that, it's perfect.

Give me six voices with room for additional voice cards that socket in place in under two minutes (give two voices per card, up to a maximum of 12 voices total) so that the cost of entry is around $2,000 to $2,500 for the basic model with additional cards for a few hundred apiece.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:11 pm

I think Moog should release the Bryan T starter pack. It would combine an Old School Voyager, a Moog guitar, and an MP-201. Priced at $1499.

Pretty please?

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:17 pm

Bryan T wrote:I think Moog should release the Bryan T starter pack. It would combine an Old School Voyager, a Moog guitar, and an MP-201. Priced at $1499.

Pretty please?
Best Idea Yet!....as long as i can buy it too
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:41 pm

Well some might prefer the BrianB starter pack that includes the Paul Vo Collectors Edition Guitar, a Voyager Select, and the Mp201 with the brand new operating system. Priced competetively at 1498.95.

:lol:
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:04 am

I like the Voltor starter pack...two of each Mooger Fooger, a Little Phatty Stage II, a Voyager OS whitewash, and a polysynth for $3998.99. :twisted:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.