what should moog release next?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

what should moog release next

"more affordable synthesizer"
8%
vocoder
5%
drum machine
13%
modular
11%
new moogerfooger (mf style)
10%
new moogerfooger (cp 251 style)
14%
self contained poly synth
39%

Total votes: 202

analogcontrolfreak

Post by analogcontrolfreak » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:15 pm

How about a new Micromoog? Take the Voyager and shrink it down. Just eleimniate the touch pad, lcd scrren and patch memories.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:57 pm

I would like a voltage controlled waveshaper from Moog. Something that can create sheering distortion.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

martin

Post by martin » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:00 pm

i'd like to see a moog numanumanizer, a device that lets you lipsync to happy romanian pop songs and get world famous without any real musical talent whatsoever.

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:49 pm

writeroxie wrote:it'd be rad if moog made another mooger-fooger pedal
but went in a crazy direction with it...

use that X/Y axis touchscreen idea (like on the voyager/the kaoss pad). but make it an honest foot-pedal out of it. instead of a screen, have a pedal that not only presses back and forth (like a wah wah) but also side to side... ala joystick.

like the Murf, keep with the preset knobs, and also a few knobs to tweak parameters. I think there'd be a decent market for something like so. keyboardists and guitarists would be into it.

I'd love a pedal that pitched up when i pressed it down and modulated when i leaned my foot it to the side. I'd drop maybe $450 on something like this.
This is one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time. I'm tired of taking my shoes off to use my Kaoss Pad (which is lame and digital). Instead of presets, the x/y stuff should be selected independently. So, there would be a set of buttons and each one would have at least two buttons underneath it. An X button and a Y button, to assign with. Of course each function would have one or two knobs.

In my mind, I'm seeing something quite a bit bigger than a pedal - more like an effect.. I think it should utilize an elevated editing board (like a TaurusII). Here's what I think it should have.

Effect-----------Control
Pitch------------Amount, Mix, Up, Down
LP Filter---------Frequency, Resonance
Filter LFO-------Waveform, Frequency, Resonance, Speed
Pitch LFO-------Waveform, Mix, Speed
Volume LFO----Waveform, Amount, Speed
Speed----------Fliter, Pitch, Volume (reassigns speed knobs to max speed)

This could do some cool stuff for a synth, but it could flat-out redefine how you can play a guitar. Synth players take advantage of how many knobs they can turn while they play. The truth is, for guitar everything is pretty much on or off in the context of a song. This would be a revolutionary effect, but of course it would cost some serious cash. Especially to make all that analog. I suppose you could drop the wood panneling. Heh.

What do you think?

-Tyler2000-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

martin

Post by martin » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:42 pm

herw's modular mini looks nice. can't use it though. *sigh* no reaktor.

i can see potential for a funny pedal type thing. not for me personally, but possibly for guitar players or even drummers or singers. or possibly connected to a playstation while playing a silly game of tekken, or as an enhancement to an iDJ thing with the 2 ipods.

my vote, as said earlier, would clearly be for a nice, small and affordable classic, unpretentious synthesizer, that would cost just enough to be awesome and leave you with enough cash to afford the pedal fooger and other stuff if you want that, like a drum box, a reverb or a set of modular modules.

i really think moog should make a video game. they could develop their own console, called the moogame, which would have games a bit like britneys dance beat or some dance mat games. you get a cd, bang it in your moog console, get out the modulemat and either tap it with your hands or dance around on it to enhance the ingame audio & video renditions of switched on bach or something by klaus schulze or whatever is available in that instalment. and on screen you get kaleidoscopic dreamworlds and crazy far out colors.

you could play as bob, wendy, klaus or yahamakrog, the evil digitalator, who's your enemy (or you against the good guys). he wants to take over the world by infecting every module with zeros and ones, but you have to hit him faster and faster by connecting patchcords to emulate devastating sounds that freeze the bad guy.

in another level you jump over ever higher walls of modules to reach moogland, the wonderful fairyland of wooden synths and spaghetty cords.
but there's the evil digitalator behind you again, zapping you with numbers and all the while you jump around on your modulemat, like a lunatic, to evade the evil minions.

there are also minigames in there such as "theremaniac", "filter skelter", "mini capers", "wurst case scenario", "cash for cats", "zipper tripper" and "my touchpad or yours". (i'll explain these one day)

the final boss level sees you fighting the evil guy (who for some reason has a welsh accent) using all your aquired weapons: filter zappers, jumprope cords, theremin antennas, knobs and wires, empty wooden boxes etc etc.

if you win, you unlock the great modular and can actually use it to make music. but it's damn hard and you have to be fast.

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:01 am

endocrine wrote:
writeroxie wrote:it'd be rad if moog made another mooger-fooger pedal
but went in a crazy direction with it...

use that X/Y axis touchscreen idea (like on the voyager/the kaoss pad). but make it an honest foot-pedal out of it. instead of a screen, have a pedal that not only presses back and forth (like a wah wah) but also side to side... ala joystick.

like the Murf, keep with the preset knobs, and also a few knobs to tweak parameters. I think there'd be a decent market for something like so. keyboardists and guitarists would be into it.

I'd love a pedal that pitched up when i pressed it down and modulated when i leaned my foot it to the side. I'd drop maybe $450 on something like this.
This is one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time. I'm tired of taking my shoes off to use my Kaoss Pad (which is lame and digital). Instead of presets, the x/y stuff should be selected independently. So, there would be a set of buttons and each one would have at least two buttons underneath it. An X button and a Y button, to assign with. Of course each function would have one or two knobs.

In my mind, I'm seeing something quite a bit bigger than a pedal - more like an effect.. I think it should utilize an elevated editing board (like a TaurusII). Here's what I think it should have.

Effect-----------Control
Pitch------------Amount, Mix, Up, Down
LP Filter---------Frequency, Resonance
Filter LFO-------Waveform, Frequency, Resonance, Speed
Pitch LFO-------Waveform, Mix, Speed
Volume LFO----Waveform, Amount, Speed
Speed----------Fliter, Pitch, Volume (reassigns speed knobs to max speed)

This could do some cool stuff for a synth, but it could flat-out redefine how you can play a guitar. Synth players take advantage of how many knobs they can turn while they play. The truth is, for guitar everything is pretty much on or off in the context of a song. This would be a revolutionary effect, but of course it would cost some serious cash. Especially to make all that analog. I suppose you could drop the wood panneling. Heh.

What do you think?

-Tyler2000-
yeah, now we just gotta find someone to make it :) I actually emailed Korg a while back, as this ideas been in my head for some time now and is derivative of the kaosspad. they should just make a kaoss pedal version... it'd probably be cheaper, but of course it'd still be lame and digital though.

If moog made this, it would definately be in the $800-1000 range, as you are right it would be bigger than your average stomp-box. I envision it being the size of like 2 wah pedals side by side. I agree: each control being assignable to X or Y, makes the most sense. i just thought it might save knobs/switches if they set it up like the murf with those 10 position preset knobs which could probably cover every possible combination of 2 functions.

I picture this thing with the moog wood sides, but maybe use the silver metal case (ala source/ memoryman). Mmmmmmm.

I should post the rough sketch i made of this thing immediately after i posted this idea yesterday. i see the footpedal surface being round instead of foot-shaped, because it'll joystick in all directions... and on the round foot pedal surface, the round moog logo (symbol from inside the 2nd "O")

I guess this joystick-style pedal would have to stay at center. like if you pull your foot off, it should go back to the center/zero so no effect is present.

I wish i had the know-how, i'd build one for myself :)

attn: Mike Adams, please make this. I'll buy one! haha
xo

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:06 pm

I think our opinions of the foot controller are a bit differnt. Mine would be more like a wah/volume pedal. The Ernie Ball Volume is what I have in mind, but with extra space out to the right side to move over to. The horizontal axis would be spring loaded (like a a morley wah) and the vertical axis would not be (like a crybaby, and most other rocker pedals). The off position would be heel position on the left side. The joystick idea is very cool too, but I think it would still be kind of akward. Even people with bad balance could handle my simpler idea. However it is also limiting. For example, with my design you can only pitch up or down per adjustment of controlls.

My mind's eye sees a TaurusII style elevated deck, mounted on a mic stand, with a cord coming out of it connected to the contoller. The amount of wood panneling would be pretty minimal if you were to go that route. They might as well, since it won't exactly be budget anyway.

I'll try to get a visual up soon, put I don't have a scanner or photoshop so it will look pretty crude/MS Paint...y.
-Tyler2000-
-Alabama Jihad

martin

Post by martin » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:38 pm

what are foot pedals used for? i never really understood this.

i used to use a flanger pedal in my early days as a synth player, but it had a switch to switch it on and off and two knobs for depth and frequency. so i couldn't really use it to a great effect as a keyboarder as i was already tweaking sound with my left and playing melodies with my right hand. just switching it on & off resulted it crude clicks with silly sound changes and added noise. so i found it unuseful.

how will the pedal designs proposed be useful for keyboard players? the idea of doing fine tweakwork with my feet (those guys arent so used to doing fine musical work. i just walk around with them and occasionally kick snow or footballs about) sounds to me kind of crude.

could you use such a thing as a tabletop unit too and tweak sounds in a spacey way in the same way as on the moog voyager front panel?

analogcontrolfreak

Post by analogcontrolfreak » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:34 pm

What ever Moog makes next. I probabaly won't be able to afford it.
Last edited by analogcontrolfreak on Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:21 pm

martin wrote:what are foot pedals used for? i never really understood this.

i used to use a flanger pedal in my early days as a synth player, but it had a switch to switch it on and off and two knobs for depth and frequency. so i couldn't really use it to a great effect as a keyboarder as i was already tweaking sound with my left and playing melodies with my right hand. just switching it on & off resulted it crude clicks with silly sound changes and added noise. so i found it unuseful.

how will the pedal designs proposed be useful for keyboard players? the idea of doing fine tweakwork with my feet (those guys arent so used to doing fine musical work. i just walk around with them and occasionally kick snow or footballs about) sounds to me kind of crude.

could you use such a thing as a tabletop unit too and tweak sounds in a spacey way in the same way as on the moog voyager front panel?
Foot pedals are mostly for lute players because it is rare that one of us can play without two hands. Our feet are all that is left. In general pedals do exactly what you described - of course a little better, though. The main problem to me is just that. They are on or off and you can't tweak them while you play. At some point someone decided to create rocker-style pedals which feature a flat surface that moves back and fourth on an axis. These are usually for wahs (a filter with a frequency peak point), volume, and pitch (only digital thus far).

The concept being discussed would give a degree of tweakability to lutes no yet available. Basically a fully asignable performance control section for your feet. I suppose it could also be released with a touch pad surface to use with your hands, but that's been done already on the Voyager and Kaoss Pad.

Does anybody know any other systems that utilize that X/Y axis stuff musically?

This could be nothing short of revolutionary.

-Tyler2000-
-Alabama Jihad

martin

Post by martin » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:44 pm

pedals sound cool but somehow the idea doesn't thrill me personally as much as the idea of an 'affordable' moog synthesizer.
the main reason is that i can't seem to find something like an analog synth that has the simplicity of a prodigy anywhere today.
the k-station was on my wishlist for a while, but the keyboard is so tiny and the sound didn't really hit it. it also didn't convince me aesthetically. it had sliders, which i didn't like, even on my rogue.

i owned a rogue which had a really nice bass drone sound. the leads were a bit thin, but somehow, it sounded friendly and fun, and it was very easy to use. i could always get something fun and sweet out of it. ... no major problems. i sold it and almost my entire studio stuff to get a voyager.

i didn't enjoy that so much. in fact it was quite a letdown.

in hindsight, i would have been better off with a prodigy or something.
so that's why i am fascinated with the idea of a simple synthesizer. if someone else makes one, maybe i'll go for that.

something else moog could build is a moog compatible pair of headphones. i have used all sorts of headphones for moog music. somehow they all rumbled like heck.

Indeed

Post by Indeed » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:12 am

I like the headphone idea. I'd rock em in the studio and on the bus, fo sho!!
the folks at Moog are sharp. They're gonna put out more ill type sh*t...
:idea:
MPC3000, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 108m, 107, CP-251, MINI MODEL D, OB-8, ALESIS A6, ARP ODYSSEY MK1, RHODES MK1

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:38 pm

martin wrote: the k-station was on my wishlist for a while, but the keyboard is so tiny and the sound didn't really hit it. it also didn't convince me aesthetically. it had sliders, which i didn't like, even on my rogue.
Dude. It has four sliders for the the amp ADSR. That's it. Will you just not touch sliders at all or what?
-Tyler2000-
-Alabama Jihad

MC

Post by MC » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:14 pm

Here's a good marketing slogan for Moog:

"Tired of "Auto-Tune"? We make "Anti-Tune" products!"

Hey, analog oscillators are desirable for their drift, right...?

analogcontrolfreak

Post by analogcontrolfreak » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:16 pm

I see the "more affordable synthesizer" has the most votes.