Considering a Sub Phatty or a Mini Brute

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
museslave

Re: Considering a Sub Phatty or a Mini Brute

Post by museslave » Thu May 16, 2013 8:00 pm

I don't agree with any of this.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Thu May 16, 2013 10:00 pm

museslave wrote:I don't agree with any of this.
Try it for yourself. Read my post on the Minitaur in the T3/Minitaur section

From the SubPhatty Manual :

From the Minitaur Manual :

Checked, re-checked, and re-re-checked. Only the positive portion of an external LFO wave modulates pitch or filter through CV inputs on the Minitaur. The negative portion is equalled to 0v. Litterature for the SuP indicates the same.

modoc_333

Post by modoc_333 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:01 am

I am a new guy but I will add my 2¢

I am a guitar player. I am a tone snob. I appreciate the history of Moog synths but I have to admit I don't have a history with them or fully understand the world most of you guys come from. That being said, I think the Sub is awesome. It sounds great and has plenty of control for me. Does it do everything? No. Can I make some awesome music on it? Absolutely. It isn't everything but it surely has its place. It may not make all of the music you want to make, but if you can't make anything on it then..... well........ 8)
-Keith

Guitars at Bailey Brothers Music... Birmingham, AL

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri May 17, 2013 11:20 am

Welcome to the forum. That's what it boils down to...what you can do with it. They are professional quality instruments.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

museslave

Post by museslave » Sat May 18, 2013 12:20 am

I don't mean the stuff you were saying, Portamental.

I mean the other stuff.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sat May 18, 2013 10:47 am

SO - what exactly is your point, Portamental? ~ If you don't like the sound and look and feel of it - don't buy it

What difference does your data make?~ there are loads of attenuators, CV mixers and INVERTS and ways of handling C/V our there, not necessary - but they are available- I use my MOOGs with Eurorack, Korg MS-10 and plenty of so-called 'mis-matched' equipment ~ Try hooking up an Oscilloscopes! wow SUB PHATTY output some wildly strange looking waves ~ and at the end of the signal flow - it SOUNDS GOOOOOOD!

FYI There are also plenty under the hood parameters and an awesome MOOG editor (like the Minitaur) coming which handles CV remapping if you want to use it with your computer ~ but you don't HAVE to -
for me it is just instantly accessible and playable

re:keyboard
The SUB PHATTY octave switch is unlike any other and makes the SUB-PHATTY keys far more useable as a Keyboard controller than you might think before you actually start playing one ~ seriously! As I posted after I brought it home, this was a big surprise - not something I had expected from seeing it on the page or playing with it in a showroom... if you weren't at NAMM you can probably find clips of Funky Bernie Worrell tripping on it with an Electric Blue Voyager under one hand and a Sub-Phatty under the other ~ like ALL DAY FUNKADELIC non-stop ~ Speaking for myself, the sub keys are FAR more appealing than the mini Korg baby toy piano keys... I picked up a Tom Oberheim Patchpoint SEM instead ~ way bigger better sound - and you probably don't need ANOTHER keyboard controller either anyway... especially a little tiny one built for Schroeder from Peanuts :lol:

unfiltered37 wrote:
Portamental wrote:
I am afraid it is....

Even with a dc offset?
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sat May 18, 2013 4:36 pm

misterpete wrote:SO - what exactly is your point, Portamental?
I am really glad you like your SubPhatty and that you are impressed by Worrell or Wonder passing by the Moog booth at Namm.

As the owner of 61 genuine Moog oscillators and writer of sound recording and DSP Software, my standards are a little bit different, that's all.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:59 pm

You're taste is different, not standards. Ultimately features like cv ins/out are a distant second to the only thing that really matters, the sound. I own a model D, which is established as a great synth, and am very picky and dismissive of almost anything new. The sub phatty has a really raw, compelling and very analog sound. From what I have seen, the sound of it can hang with the model D, which is no small feat.

Box

Post by Box » Sat May 18, 2013 5:54 pm

Portamental wrote:
misterpete wrote:SO - what exactly is your point, Portamental?
I am really glad you like your SubPhatty and that you are impressed by Worrell or Wonder passing by the Moog booth at Namm.

As the owner of 61 genuine Moog oscillators and writer of sound recording and DSP Software, my standards are a little bit different, that's all.
Cork sniffer. :lol:

If it sounds good who the bleep cares what it can do and what have you. Then there are others that say it can do everything so who gives a bleep what it sounds like. Sound or functionality, though more often than not you get ample amounts of both.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sat May 18, 2013 9:14 pm

Box wrote: Cork sniffer. :lol:
Smells much better than twist caps 8)

Box

Post by Box » Sat May 18, 2013 10:01 pm

I don't drink beer, I drink lager. Those require a church key. :P I like the smell of a well aged and seasoned rum too.

hooshirn

Post by hooshirn » Wed May 29, 2013 3:41 am

I think both the Minitaur and sub phatty are midi gimicky and under ambitious designs
Chinese farmed out compromise

There is nothing about my Voyager XL with which I can complain
and I do love to complain, same go's for the Mooger Foogers I own
Nice = high price

The Minituar is buggy though it has "that sound" my Voyager can't do the same tubby bass
I might have to send it back if it does not settle down next update

MS 20 for the money
Save up for a Voyager, it's in a hole nother league of instant sound tweak monster tone freak usability
I've been listening to sub phatty demo's and it just sound's mr. whipple weak to much mousey slide rule fart squeak are sump'n
not enough funk in the tone trunk maybe it's just a digital cost save slave who know's
The only competition I've heard to the Voyager Tone wise is the Oberheim SEM
it will be mine in the nick of time
Voyager XL, Minitaur,Theremen+, Fooger's, Midi delay and Midi murf, Freq box X 2, Ring mod, 101 Filter, Novation ultra station, ZR 76, MC808, Bent Casio's, 3 Speak and Spell's , M audio black box,Korg Monotribe, Ipad's with Animoog, Filtron on and on..

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:47 pm

Sort of new guy here, hello!

I own the Sub Phatty and I owned the Minbrute. Both of these synths sound gorgeous. The BIG difference in the two, and the reason I don't own the Minibrute anymore, is build quality. The SP is a high quality musical instrument, the Minibrute not so much. My first MB had a flakey Filter Envelope, my second a broken LFO. I was actually going to take a third one home to try but decided to unbox at the store - it had a popped key. My SP arrived via UPS, sounded frickin' GORGEOUS right out of the box, and has been rock solid since.

If Arturia can get past its manufacturing issues, I would buy another Minibrute in a flash. The Steiner Parker filter is unique-sounding, the single oscillator has enough variability on each waveform and the ability to mix them that it sounds BIG, and the LFO/modulation is pretty darn sophisticated. Alas, the quality of the unit lets it down...

mrboxxed

Post by mrboxxed » Tue May 13, 2014 3:08 pm

As a minitaur owner I want more... I think the sub phatty offers that. I'd been considering a slim , but don't like its interface. I really like the direct function of the minitaur, that said I never hook it up to the computer so the under the hood features are lost on me, which is a shame and that would be the same for me and a sub. So then you look toward a sub37!
Which I love, but it might be a bit much... I think limitations are a good thing is what I'm understanding for me at this stage. I can see myself being a lost twiddler on a sub37 and perhaps more of a player of a subP.
That's not to say that I might grow into a sub37.
I think the subP is smart in its limitations. And really perhaps I'd go an RME Voyager after a subP over the sub37 (even thou its a sexy as hell)

Tidda

Post by Tidda » Wed May 14, 2014 6:37 pm

Portamental wrote:
museslave wrote:I don't agree with any of this.
Try it for yourself.
I tried on my Sub Phatty, the pitch and volume is positive only, the filter input responds to negative CV as well.
That and Amos said so in a thread in the Phatty section.

Tidda

Amos wrote:You can add +2.5V of offset to the LFO signal using the CP-251 mixer... patch from LFO out to one of the cv mixer inputs, then adjust the mixer Offset knob to about 3 o'clock (knob indicator pointing to the right)... then patch from the +out of the mixer to the pitch input of the Sub Phatty. This should give you the entire LFO signal sweeping from 0V to +5V. (make sure the mixer input and Master knobs are at maximum also.)
The CV input is calibrated to 1V per octave, so you should hear a 5-octave change in pitch as you sweep the pitch CV input signal from 0V to 5V. In the case of the Freqbox, it is not calibrated to 1V/Octave, so it may well have a more extreme response to the same pitch-CV sweep.

Tech note: On both the Sub Phatty and the Minitaur, the filter CV input is purely-analog, it is not scanned by the processor and it is not limited to the range 0-5V. You can apply a bipolar CV such as the CP-251 LFO to the filter CV input and you will hear the full LFO cycle modulating the filter.