Moog Prodigy - Sequencing

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
dtirer

Re: Moog Prodigy - Sequencing

Post by dtirer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:43 pm

I have thought about newer moogs. While they sound good, I've found that they lack the bright and aggressive qualities of the older ones. I've found the voyager to be a little more tame in that regard than the old Model D's i've played.
Ledbetter wrote:Here's alink to Kenton:

http://www.kentonuk.com/synthselector/s ... digy.shtml

Have you thought about a Little Phatty instead? Prodigy prices are high because of the "historical" value, and they're pretty old now. I don't play mine much anymore and would never gig with it. The Little Phatty already has every thing you need for sequencing. Just a thought.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:46 pm

Ledbetter wrote: Have you thought about a Little Phatty instead?
The Little Phatty is the most vintage sounding Moog IMO. Still, the Prodigy's filter sounds better.

Now one of the joy of sequencing, DJ style or else, involves twisting knobs real time, more than one at a time, especially Cut-off, resonance and EG amount.

Advantage : Prodigy.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:01 pm

The Little Phatty's pot map is a simple workaround here.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:25 pm

I think the Sub Phatty is more vintage-sounding than the Little Phatty nowadays. It reminds me very much of The Rogue in sound.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:27 pm

^ You're talking programming more and more stuff and messing the bidule in the process, I am talking having fun :wink:

The day they make a programmable guitar, I am out 8)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:16 pm

No I jus...

Well you're right.

:)

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:10 pm

In my opinion, I think the T3 comes closest to vintage Moog synths than anything else, with the LP a very close second. I haven't heard the Sub in person so I can't comment on that.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:57 am

I never owned any vintage Moog instrument but I'm a bit surprised the Voyager is not the most vintage sounding -or say second after the Taurus 3.

Interested in anyone's thoughts...
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:28 am

stiiiiiiive wrote: I'm a bit surprised the Voyager is not the most vintage sounding
It's funny that you say that.... if you say Voyager OS and model D, I can't think of any two that are farther apart.

Just last week I was thinking about starting a thread asking people what is their favorite Moog sound, and maybe try to describe the sound of any which one into a word or two.

It is true that they are all different, yet at the same time, they all share the "same classic 24 dB Moog LP filter" if you read about them here and there.

But asking which one is the best is like asking which flower is the most beautiful. And describing sound into words is illusory.

I think sound is just felt, and when your ear gets trained using many different synths, at the finish line, you categorize them on a scale that goes from "like" to "don't like". But that's not as simple as that either because every synth can manage so many very different sounds.

My very first synth was a Roland SH-201, an instrument about which my opinion has not changed since day one. The Roland supersaw waveform is so agressive it drives me nuts. On the other hand, the SH-201 is capable of the most beautiful bells, chimes and pads. Probably the most under-rated synth I know. I own two of them and I don't want to ever part with them. The effects section alone is worth the ticket. On the feature list its it still ahead of everything : polyphonic, multi timbral, 4 Osc', 4 LFO's, LP HP and BP (12 and 24 dB), split keyboard, sequencer, arpegiator, looper, beautiful interface : no LCD screen, it's all knobs and switches, special effects with reverb and delay, built in soundcard, super easy to use, 3 EG's, D-beam controller, tap tempo, external audio processing, expression pedal input. All for $300 if you go e-bay. (sales pitch ends here). It's a shame many people see it as a toy.

My first "good" sounding synth (I thought at the time) was the Mopho. Over the years, I would say the DSI sound grew into one I care the least about.

The Clavia Nord Lead, probably the best VA around overall, is a bit bland I think. The panel layout and feel is repelling. 3 digit LCD is a farce. Yet it's a classic that has a place in every studio, 20 voices polyphony, 1000 presets and not too bad Hammond organ emulation might have something to do with it.

Putting sound into words is a game that never ends and whose rules change all the time. What can I say? One day you may think a square of lamb is one of the most delicate food in the world, and the next, you can't be satisfied with anything else than a good old cheeseburger.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:24 pm

It's a matter of personal taste. And that is not to be questioned. To each his, or her own.

That being said, we can certainly share our preferences and exchange ideas an opinions on the subject. But to state that a certain sound, or tone, is better than another is ludicrous IMHO.

I prefer a good chicken salad myself... :wink:

P.S. To answer stiiiiiiive's question: nothing else sounds quite like a Minimoog D, and nothing else sounds quite like a Voyager either. They are similar. Some Moog gear sounds close to a vintage Mini D, The Source comes to mind, but they all have their strengths and weaknesses. The truth is that, stacked-up one agains't the other, alone, you could most probably tell which is which. But, put a Voyager, a Minimoog D, and a Little Phatty in a mix with other tracks of other instruments, and the evidence become somewhat blurred... But they all share one thing: the "Moog sound" with slightly different "flavoring".
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion