I love Moog but [rant]

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
tommyecho

Re: I love Moog but [rant]

Post by tommyecho » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:52 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
aen wrote:I just thought that thing was HILARIOUS. Not offensive.
I thought it was a horrible implementation that was comical in its awfulness. :lol:
It's looking pretty cool from where I'm standing :D

Seriously, I heard they sold all 30 within 15 minutes of making them available. Seems like a great way for the folks at moog to raise funds for developing other products, IMHO. And if you're a Saudi Prince who loves synthesizers, it's the perfect thing!
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

MusicoNova

Authenticity, limited to 31 pcs worldwide!

Post by MusicoNova » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:04 am

Rare thing, but the feel is greatly honored, i think rarest of rare...

Vince Ascoli

Post by Vince Ascoli » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:49 am

To me, MC's guitar analogy is spot-on: Gibson and Fender routinely make limited, collectible versions of their instruments, often in the form of reissues of things like Jimmy Page's Les Paul or Clapton's favorite Strat or whatever. These instruments carry hefty price tags and are almost never bought by working musicians. I worked in music retail for 5 years back in the '90s and sold several of these kind of guitars to a wealthy collector who happened to be an attorney. I don't know what they cost Moog to make, gold certainly isn't cheap these days but if they were able to net a decent profit, then great for them! More money for R&D, for their excellent staff and a chance to experiment in the workshop with different materials...I'd love to see them make that aluminum (or was it stainless steel?) Voyager available!
Voyager Select Maple Jade, Voyager Aluminum, Xpander, OB-8, Prophet~6, Virus Ti Pølar, DX5

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:20 pm

I realize the the OP may not have English as a first language, though the title is a bit off. To say the word 'but' actually negates everything that comes before it.

"I love Moog but..." actually means I love Moog but I don't really.

Stephen

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Vsyevolod wrote:I realize the the OP may not have English as a first language, though the title is a bit off. To say the word 'but' actually negates everything that comes before it.

"I love Moog but..." actually means I love Moog but I don't really.

Stephen
That's a very odd statement to make, because no, it doesn't.

Speaking as someone with English as my first language (and with a Master's Degree in Literature, for that matter), when someone says "I love X, but..." they generally mean exactly what the original post said, that their love is compromised or thrown into question by some event or situation. Exactly how much it's compromised or thrown into question can vary - but the important point is that it's a matter of degree, not an absolute. This is normal English useage. It's also what the OP actually says.
Websites: http://musicbysweep.com and http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:38 pm

I love X but...

Is usually followed by "...I don't like what they are doing"

It is a statement birthed out of a desire to see improvement. People criticize the United States for numerous reasons and that is frowned upon in a lot of circles but I always counter with "If you love your children, you discipline them when they do wrong."

I love Moog products also but I can think of many areas that need attention.

To me it is more than mere staying in business...that is the rationale that we have using for a long time to justify things that aren't as good as they should be. We don't buy Moog products because they are a just company that can stay in business, we buy their products because we hold them to a particular standard (sometimes to an almost impossibly high standard). Rather than echoing this rationale over and over until there is a litany of charges against them, I'd like to see them make some changes.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:07 am

EricK wrote: I love Moog products also but I can think of many areas that need attention.
That's very very very (very very) mildly put.