Build and Sell a modern version of the Moog "Constellation"

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
ZYKLIFF

Re: Build and Sell a modern version of the Moog "Constellati

Post by ZYKLIFF » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:22 am

Kenneth wrote:
Voltor07 wrote: I hope I do not offend anyone by having a moment of honesty, but I have personally never liked a single piece of DSI gear that I have laid hands on. Build quality is cheap, everything I hear sounds BADLY EQ'd, even if it's just a dry signal, filters sound thin, and all those hidden parameters/menus make me feel like I'm trying to navigate my way around my old MicroKORG again. Each time I have spent time with a DSI synthesizer has been an overall negative experience. I can't see myself ever owning one.
I know what you mean... But I'm mainly a guitar player... There is one exception with Dave Smith though, his collaboration with Roger Linn that resulted in Tempest. When that OS/feature set is fully complete, Tempest will be a legendary groove box. Definitely a muchine worth getting to know in it's own right. There goes the conversation, a Moog Poly to DSI Tempest. I didn't mention Tempest defending its ease of use... I brought it up because I like the way Tempest plays and sounds.

I don't use it for bass. That's what a Moog is for! :lol:

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:10 am

I don't want to knock the Prophet '08, or any other DSI gear. They are absolutely fantastic for the price you pay. Thing is, I would never pay that little if I wanted a quality analog. You DO get what you pay for...

Stephen

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:43 am

ZYKLIFF wrote:
Kenneth wrote:
Voltor07 wrote: I hope I do not offend anyone by having a moment of honesty, but I have personally never liked a single piece of DSI gear that I have laid hands on. Build quality is cheap, everything I hear sounds BADLY EQ'd, even if it's just a dry signal, filters sound thin, and all those hidden parameters/menus make me feel like I'm trying to navigate my way around my old MicroKORG again. Each time I have spent time with a DSI synthesizer has been an overall negative experience. I can't see myself ever owning one.
I know what you mean... But I'm mainly a guitar player... There is one exception with Dave Smith though, his collaboration with Roger Linn that resulted in Tempest. When that OS/feature set is fully complete, Tempest will be a legendary groove box. Definitely a muchine worth getting to know in it's own right. There goes the conversation, a Moog Poly to DSI Tempest. I didn't mention Tempest defending its ease of use... I brought it up because I like the way Tempest plays and sounds.
I never said that. :) Aside from the misquote, I agree that the Tempest is a formidable beast. That truly is the only offering from DSI that I have been impressed by.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:01 am

The DSI Tempest ?.... The drum machine with no drum sounds? C'mon guys, this must be the worst sounding sound apparatus ever built. By the Tempest standard, even an Electribe sounds good.

Whenever all music produced is made on Tempests and VAs and stuff, I give up music and take on knitting or pottery or something :roll:

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:31 am

Everyone is going to have an opinion which is fine. The Tempest is not for everyone :). I have only touched on what it can do. It us not meant to be a " real drum" sounding box. If you think if it as only a drum machine you are missing a large portion if what it can do. Think of it as a music production tool. You can use it as a stand. Lone synth, or use it to create a beat with a melodic backing or synth effects. Want to create a beat then while I is playing back live copy it to another pad and add parts, you can do it on the Tempest. Want to assign a cool bass sound to one pad, the go into a mode where you have 16 available pitches on that one pad, play a bass riff, then have that riff play back from the single pad... :)

As for a new Polyphonic Moog, sure it would be great. I loved my Memorymoog , :) always sounded like a Moog to me :). There are alternative that work though. I like the Prophet 08, is it the Moog sound, no.... Does it work well with other instruments , yes, can you get great sounds out if it... I think so. But that is the cool thing, there is something for everyone and what is a oil workable thing for one person may not be for another. If it works best for you and you are getting he results you want, great. No matter what as long as you are enjoying it that is all the counts.

bhrama

Post by bhrama » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:02 am

Portamental wrote:The DSI Tempest ?.... The drum machine with no drum sounds? C'mon guys, this must be the worst sounding sound apparatus ever built. By the Tempest standard, even an Electribe sounds good.

Whenever all music produced is made on Tempests and VAs and stuff, I give up music and take on knitting or pottery or something :roll:
Wow, hate much? As it is said "opinions are like..."

Tempest is a beast, simple as that. Is it unfinished? hell yes. Are they working on it? everyday. It is humorous to hear a guy on a Moog forum bash a piece a kit where the design is based in the creation of sounds from the ground up. You can literally control the entire dynamic and development of your sounds. :idea:
P6, Tempest, Sub37

ZYKLIFF

Post by ZYKLIFF » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:02 pm

Oh, I do apologize, Voltor07... I meant to quote Kenneth... I was not paying attention.

As for Tempest sounding "bad"... Clearly the presets won't get You John Bonham or Neil Peart, but I feel I've gotten pretty close. Booming kicks, cracking snares, natural feeling "sound edge" hi hats, even convincing cymbal stops. It's not just for dubstep. Call mi enamoured...

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:08 pm

For sure the Tempest is very deep. You gave to dive in and do some programming, as you work with it you realize " oh wow it will also do that". Spending time with it provides all kinds if inspiration for many styles of music.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:35 pm

This seems to be turning into a DSI hate thread. I'm sure it was unintentional, but I'm partly responsible for that. I acknowledge the fact that a lot of musicians like, and even love their DSI products. And that's perfectly fine. As long as a customer is satisfied with his or her purchase, that's what matters. And if they can produce music with it, that is really all that really matters in the end.

To each his or her own.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:46 pm

The Memorymoog could move walls or be just as gentle. :) there back to Moog.

MC

Post by MC » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:25 pm

Put a Memorymoog in unison and the basses will rearrange the china on the shelves

http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguedieh ... basses.mp3
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:27 pm

Glad there are a few of us that have done that :)

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:30 pm

^ You betcha!

moogsaurus

Post by moogsaurus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:34 pm

Just because 80's analogue synths used Curtis stuff did'nt automatically make it sound "Curtis like'!
Secret to the memorymoog was: 3 oscillators, Moog tranny filters on each voice card-and for me the ability to turn off voice cards,leaving only one for true monophonic mini leads- fantastic control! All the polysynths of this era were pretty good at what they did,maybe just the Crumar bit one which was digital/analogue hybrid was a bit flaky,tinny sounding ( But the Trrilogy/Composer/DS2 were great! )
Now if moog made a non keyboard polysynth (midi controllable) slightly sloped front panel, the size of a 61 note board,recess panel underneath for a controller keyboard,and a flat top for a mono synth to sit...might be an option,Moog could market a seperate controller rebadged, or use your own favourite?

ZYKLIFF

Post by ZYKLIFF » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:01 am

moogsaurus wrote:Just because 80's analogue synths used Curtis stuff did'nt automatically make it sound "Curtis like'!
Secret to the memorymoog was: 3 oscillators, Moog tranny filters on each voice card-and for me the ability to turn off voice cards,leaving only one for true monophonic mini leads- fantastic control! All the polysynths of this era were pretty good at what they did,maybe just the Crumar bit one which was digital/analogue hybrid was a bit flaky,tinny sounding ( But the Trrilogy/Composer/DS2 were great! )
Now if moog made a non keyboard polysynth (midi controllable) slightly sloped front panel, the size of a 61 note board,recess panel underneath for a controller keyboard,and a flat top for a mono synth to sit...might be an option,Moog could market a seperate controller rebadged, or use your own favourite?
Well that sounds cool from an architectural standpoint... But all analogue oscillators in a polyphonic engine room can be very tricky regarding intonation...

Anybody play the DSI Prophet 12? It's nucking futs! I played it with eyes closed... Didn't sound like digital Osc's. P12 is pseudo analogue, and very sophisticated sounding/feeling.