Best cities for electronic music and art

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
ColorForm2113

Re: Best cities for electronic music and art

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:54 am

Second for Chicago. Tons of great clubs. I have a friend in west hurley, ny. He has a guitar based noise rock/looping project and there is a pretty loyal noise/drone/diy instrument/circuit bending scene
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

swalker133

Post by swalker133 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:44 am

Hi guys, what about Los Angeles & Colorado?

Obviously LA is a great place to be for all things creative, but I've heard that Colorado's electronic producer scene is growing, anyone out there want to share any experiences?

Sean

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:15 am

swalker133 wrote:Hi guys, what about Los Angeles & Colorado?

Obviously LA is a great place to be for all things creative, but I've heard that Colorado's electronic producer scene is growing, anyone out there want to share any experiences?

Sean
I can vouch for Denver being an AMAZING city for experimental music and art. I can see myself living there, easily.
I have no interest in Los Angeles. It's too big, it's dirty, and the general demeanor of its inhabitants seems to go against my nature.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:24 am

One of the "Big Popes" of experimental synth-music is still living in a small town near Freiburg/Germany.
His name is Weinhold. But I don't know if he's still active like previously. He has done over the decades tons of recordings. In the last ten years I had no contact with him any more, 'caus that's not my music. But I should ring him up again. 20 years ago I bought one of his two AKS 80s, but ten years later I had given it back to him 'cause of that bloody sequencer-keyboard. He didn't want to sell me the "mechanic" VCS-keyboard.
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:06 pm

Portland, Oregon seems to be heating up. Several makers have moved here recently, a very nice shop (Control Voltage) some live things going on.

wingo

Post by wingo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:00 pm

LA gets a bad rap, but it's a fantastic place to live. Yeah, the traffic is terrible (very, very terrible), but other than that, it is amazing. Perfect weather like 350 days out of the year, and tons of creative people everywhere. You can find like-minded people to work/jam with no matter what you do. There are several electronic music 'scenes' depending on what you are into, and every new person I meet is always up for some sort of collaboration. And it's easy to hook up with people in other disciplines like visual art, costume design, dance, film making, etc. Plus really great food, comedy, beaches, mountains, beautiful people... 8) Sure there are jerks, and probably in higher concentration than elsewhere, but they can be easily avoided most of the time.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:18 pm

wingo wrote:LA gets a bad rap, but it's a fantastic place to live. Yeah, the traffic is terrible (very, very terrible), but other than that, it is amazing.
Oh, and the air quality is terrible...

But other than that, it's amazing.

Stephen

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:42 am

Vsyevolod wrote:
wingo wrote:LA gets a bad rap, but it's a fantastic place to live. Yeah, the traffic is terrible (very, very terrible), but other than that, it is amazing.
Oh, and the air quality is terrible...

But other than that, it's amazing.

Stephen
Yes, I have heard about the "haze" that can be seen during the wee or waning hours of the day. Doesn't exactly sound like a treat to the lungs.

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:23 am

wingo wrote:Perfect weather like 350 days out of the year
I think calling it 'weather' is a bit of a stretch. :mrgreen:
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:27 am

There are a number of places that host electronic and experimental music in Seattle. Also little one off shows and mini festivals pop up all the time.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:10 pm

Since I was born and raised in Los Angeles, I'd just like to point out something..

LA is not New York or Chicago.
Those cities tended to build vertically and have many tall buildings.
LA, however, is mostly flat.
It has large horizontal portions that require transportation between.
With this said, LA requires an artist to have good access to and around the main music areas.
Namely, Hollywood and west Los Angeles.

I live now about 40-50 miles away from LA. in the high deserts of San Bernardino.
Weather here can be highly variable and range from very hot to very cold.*
Here, the prices drop for everything, but there's otherwise nowhere to go or things to do.
So you have to decide if you're going to live in the city and pay tall prices for rent or if you're going to move farther away and get to LA via transportation that can be, as said above, very congested at times.

San Francisco is probably the most "artsy" place in CA.
I don't know how their music scene is per se, but it's a very concentrated (and expensive) area for all types of art.

*http://www.synthfool.com/synthdome.jpg
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:45 am

Kenneth wrote:Yes, I have heard about the "haze" that can be seen during the wee or waning hours of the day. Doesn't exactly sound like a treat to the lungs.
How about "All freaking day long"? Some days it's so bad that you can't see the nearby hills.

Stephen

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Vsyevolod wrote:
Kenneth wrote:Yes, I have heard about the "haze" that can be seen during the wee or waning hours of the day. Doesn't exactly sound like a treat to the lungs.
How about "All freaking day long"? Some days it's so bad that you can't see the nearby hills.

Stephen

Case in point. :|