arturia moog modular V

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
godzilla

arturia moog modular V

Post by godzilla » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:54 am

anyone use this?
Is it any good?
is there a demo version available out there?

didn't this use to be on the moog site, i couldn't find it today?

also what area the software versions of the moogerfoogers like?

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:47 am

Yes, I have it and I've created a lot of very useful patches. I haven't recorded with it yet, but only because other projects had to come first.

I also introduced it to a musician who was one of the synth pioneers and has many years experience of live work and recording. He's very impressed with it as well.

And I believe Klaus Schulze is using it, which has to be a recommendation, I would think. And Tangerine Dream recently used it on stage.

What you get for the price is quite unbelievable, so long as you have a PC (or Mac) that can handle it. (BTW on that subject I have an RME Hammerfall 9652 soundcard for sale which can handle MIDI information and provides digital outs if anyone using softsynths would be interested.)

To answer your questions about a demo version, you can download one from their site (just Google Arturia). I bought the Modular first, then bought the others when I downloaded the demos and tried them. I played one note on the CS80 and thought `wow!' and it went from there.

There'll always be people who'll say it isn't like the real thing. But it stays in tune, is fully programmable, and also polyphonic, and takes up a lot less space than the hardware version. Imagine, back in the days when a Moog modular was the ultimate intrument, if someone had said `one day you'll be able to get a fully programmable polyphonic modular.' It doesn't need repairs, either.

The other plus, of course, is that Arturia are capable of developing the instrument by providing further software updates. They've already done that with their CS80. So it's potentially open-ended.

On the downside, it isn't as tweakable as a hardware modular. But I expected that to be a much bigger negative than it turned out to be. I'm a musician who does a lot of tweaking. There are ways to remedy that situation using a MIDI controller, but I haven't had the chance to look into that yet. I'd expect, though, that assigning parameters to a manageably sized MIDI controller may well turn out to be more user-friendly than tweaking knobs that may be some distance away on a hardware modular.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:09 am

The Moog Mod V isd tremendous. I have used it quite a bit in recording and live performance. Sweep has described it well. It would be worth your while to try the demo. I bought it after trying it. It gave me a taste for the Moog sound, and eventually I bought a Voyager.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

odyssey2001

Post by odyssey2001 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:46 am

Bought the Moog Modular V from Arturia a few days ago and installed it yesterday and played around with a few sounds. It really sounds great and VERY analog-like and warm!!! And it's a great learning platform to those, who are new to modular synthesis!

I especially love those virtual patch cords, cause they don't break (even after thousands of connections) and so you don't have to spend money for new ones :wink:

I also bought the Arturia Minimoog V for the typical MiniMoog sound and I really like it!

@Mark: I also plan to buy a voyager, 'cause there is still a big difference between hands-on and "mouse-on" experience :)

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:32 am

odyssey2001 wrote:I also plan to buy a voyager, 'cause there is still a big difference between hands-on and "mouse-on" experience :)
The Voyager's knobs and switches provide for a VERY satisfying hands on experience. Like you, I also have the Modular V software and it works and sounds great, but the lack of 'hands-on' control forced me to consider a MIDI controller - so I picked up a Behringer BCR2000 rotary controller. You might want to consider something similar... after you buy the Voyager, of course!

Greg

neriks

Post by neriks » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:45 am

I think the Arturia Moog Modular V2 is a great piece of software but I don't think of it as a substitute for a real Moog Modular. The MMV2 sounds great but the sonic differences between MMV2 and a Moog Modular can be rather evident depending on the type of patch used. The first time I tested the MMV2 I was very impressed by the sound but when I did a closer comparison between the MMV2 and a Moog Modular I discovered that the two synthesizers sounded quite different … Although I don’t consider the sonic differences between the MMV2 and a Moog Modular to be much of an issue I still feel that the Moog Modular sounds better than the MMV2 …

For me the big issue with MMV2 and the Moog Modular is the hands on experience! :wink: Apart from the ability to build your own voice architecture with patch-cords you can also interface a Moog Modular with external equipment such as various outboards and other synthesizers. As a fairly experienced user of modular synthesizers I often make cross-patches between my Moog Modular and my Synthesizers.com system. To do the same thing with the MMV2 is a lot more difficult! :wink:

monads

Post by monads » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:21 pm

I have it too. But haven't played with it in months. Its too CPU hungry for my Dual G4 1.25. I do like how it sounds however. Perhaps when I upgrade to a new Mac I'll use it again....but I love my G4 :wink:

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:43 pm

I've used mine quite a bit in live performance. It holds up well, but I only use one instance at a time.
Mark Mahoney

monads

Post by monads » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:49 pm

What's gets me is I can't play is polyphonically without overloading my CPU. Oh well, I'd rather go buy a new instrument than upgrade my computer. I like the real deal and those little knobs.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:36 pm

Yes, it starts eating up the CPU with polyphony. As well as unison.
Mark Mahoney

herw

Post by herw » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:35 am

If you are a REAKTOR user you can try this: herw MODULAR MINI.
Image. It is the first of a series of modular synths with virtual patches (MIDI, 2 Oscillators, LFO, Dual-Ringmodulator, Noise, 2 ADSR, Filter, VCA, Delay (1 Rack). There are planned several synths next months:
MODULAR TRAUTONIUM (polyphon Trautonium with 4 subharmonic oscillators with divider modulation, 4 filters, 8 ADSR, 4 amplifiers, two LFO, several mixers, flanger, chorus, tubolator, delay)
MODULAR ONE (several oscillator types, 3 racks)

ciao herw

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:02 am

I love Reaktor too. It and Moog Mod V are my too top soft synths. I'll check out those links.
Mark Mahoney

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:44 am

downloaded the OS X version of the modular demo

installed it and it keeps saying

"unexpectedly closed down

Mac OS X and other applications are not affected.

Click Try Again to temporarily restore the application's default settings and open it again. Click Report to see more details or send a report to Apple."

keeps coming up with that
what's wrong with it?
is it because i'm using OS X 10.4?

herw

Post by herw » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:12 am

godzilla wrote:downloaded the OS X version of the modular demo

installed it and it keeps saying

"unexpectedly closed down

Mac OS X and other applications are not affected.

Click Try Again to temporarily restore the application's default settings and open it again. Click Report to see more details or send a report to Apple."

keeps coming up with that
what's wrong with it?
is it because i'm using OS X 10.4?
yes - starting ARTURIAs demo fails to my computer too. So i deleted it. I am very disappointed to ARTURIAS MOOG MODULAR V.
So i'll use REAKTOR ;-) (see link above)

ciao herw

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:30 am

The arturias are all very cool but they all suck at FM. That's one area where soft synths seem quite deficient - audio rate modulation of parameters without artifacts.