Rack effects routing

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
endocrine

Rack effects routing

Post by endocrine » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:46 pm

Since I primarily play guitar, it's always been my understanding that with rack effects, you just daisy chain them together, which works fine because you only have one instrument-the guitar you are playing. But with keyboards you have multiple keyboards, which means more routing. I have assembled the following example scenario:

I have 2 keyboards:
-Moog Voyager
-Dave Smith Poly Evolver

I have 3 pieces of rack gear:
-a reverb unit
-a delay unit
-a chorus unit

If I wanted to run, just reverb on the PolyEvolver for song one. But on song two, I want to use reverb and chorus on the Voyager. On song three I would like to use chorus on the PolyEvolver and delay on the Voyager. Is it at all possible to do these thing without unplugging anything, or would that require one of those midi switching systems?
-Tyler2000-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:04 pm

You need a mixer with multiple buses. My home studio is mixerless. All my routing is done throught the computer using my MOTU 828mkII (CueMix program), so I can't recommend you a specific mixer, sorry.

I know some of the inexpensive Behringer mixers have 4 buses. That might suit your needs.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:08 pm

A mixer with multiple busses and some bypass switches on the racks should get you by.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:12 pm

That's it! It's so simple, but brain just wouldn't think it. I don't really have any rack effects, I was just curious as to how that would work. Thanks guys.
-T2K-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

monads

Post by monads » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:28 pm

He doesn't even need a mixer. I'm mixerless. Well, guess it could depend on gear. I'm running a couple of Lynx AES16 cards with a KSP8 and a Reverb 4000 into the computer. I have a patchbay which my instruments are connected and I can patch in analog effects (moogerfoogers) as needed. Works like a charm :wink: