Finish on late model D

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Mitchell Chastain

Finish on late model D

Post by Mitchell Chastain » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:59 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of wood colored paint was used on the later model D's finish.
I know they weren't stained and it looks like they were sprayed with something. I'm doing a cabinet restoration and would like to get this one as close as I can to the original factory finish.
So far everyone I've talked to has no clue what they used or if it can still be purchased.

thealien666

Re: Finish on late model D

Post by thealien666 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:23 pm

In looking at my own original 1975 model D, I wouldn't try to do the same thing Moog Music did back then, because it's not looking particularly great, and it was even worst on later models. They had a cheap "old industrial furniture finish" look to it, and doesn't let the wood grain shine thru.

I've seen some people having redone the cabinet, sanded down to the wood and stained it with amazing results. Much better than the original IMHO.

Mine (it could be anyone's original Minimoog D with the original finish) :

And an example of another even worst one, and what can be achieved with it:

Taken from another thread, by Kevin Lightner, on this very forum here:
http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?t=6620
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Mitchell Chastain

Post by Mitchell Chastain » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:57 pm

The stained "after" pic really does look great. Maybe staining it is the way to go after all.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:21 am

I have the later mini with the strange brown "frown" finish. While it is not the prettiest finish, and I thought about changing it, but it grew on me, and now I have come to like it's distinctive, "musical" look to it. I especially like the worn look, like on old fender basses, (though not the manufactured worn look on the new basses). I like how when people see it, it is very unassuming (to those who don't know what they are), and people are totally surprised that an old antique looking instrument can make such majestic sounds.

moogsaurus

Post by moogsaurus » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:45 am

2 Minis I repaired had the brown paint finish - you could run a finger nail along the wood, and the paint would fall off, totally dried out - sure it gives a vintage worn look, but underneath is still all the lovely wood!
and certainly if you look at the last models,they reverted back to the staining varnish coat,this sinks into the wood, much more appealing and durable (then there's the final Walnut models...say no more!)
Any hardware store will stock the paint, buy brown, black and cream to lighten or darken to approximate the original colours.