voyager vocoder..

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
TRUBBLEMAN

voyager vocoder..

Post by TRUBBLEMAN » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:54 am

Really new 2 synths, can any one tell me how 2 hook up a mic and use a vocoder on my voyager. I know you guys are probably experts and probably sneer @ this type of question but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:07 pm

Your vocoder should offer two kinds of input:
- Carrier
- Modulator

Normally you would like to modulate a given signal to sound like a voice.
Therefor you use the Mic as modulator and use the Voyager with a constant and endless sound as carrier. Then you need the right setting to make the sound on the Voyager and the vocoder. And then start to change the Voyager sound while using the mic. sounds with more overtones will sound more organic and more like a voice you are able to understand. Listen to Kraftwerk for some fine examples.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Till "Qwave" Kopper

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/]Squarewave Group[/url] member "waldorfian_qwave"

TRUBBLEMAN

Post by TRUBBLEMAN » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:49 am

many thanx 4 that I wasnt expecting any one to reply! So I just plug a powered mic into the ext audio input and go from there??????

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:45 am

TRUBBLEMAN wrote:many thanx 4 that I wasnt expecting any one to reply! So I just plug a powered mic into the ext audio input and go from there??????
Well, not exactly. First, by "powered mic" I'm assuming you mean either a microphone that uses phantom power (48V) or battery power. These 'powered mics' generally don't have higher output levels than non-powered mics. In any case, you'll proably need to run the mic through a microphone preamp before applying the signal to the vocoder input.

Why 'probably?'

You didn't mention the type of vocoder you have, but some vocoders may have enough gain to make the mic work directly with a preamp. However, the gain circuit is likely not of the same quality as a properly designed mic preamp. As a result, your sound may suffer. But if all you want is to play with the vocoder to see what it can do, sound quality may not be that important.

I'd suggest trying the mic directly, but be prepared to add a mic preamp.

BTW - You'll get better results if the carrier signal is bright (meaning it has a lot of overtones for the vocoder to work with). A carrier signal that's dull will sound muffled.

- Greg

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:12 am

TRUBBLEMAN wrote:So I just plug a powered mic into the ext audio input and go from there??????
If you mean the Voyager's Ext. Audio Input, then you are wrong :?
The Voyager is not a vocoder and does not offer one.
But you might use the Voyager's filter for some sound effects. But this is not a vocoder like effect.

What vocoder do you use :?:

Till "Qwave" Kopper

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/]Squarewave Group[/url] member "waldorfian_qwave"

Nick Montoya

Post by Nick Montoya » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:36 pm

I'm not sure the voayger can do Vocoder stuff.. Most Vocoders are poly phonic multi voice instruments. Similar circuitry, but not enough to actually do Vocoder stuff..

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:47 pm

Vocoders are not polyphonic at all !

A Vocoder constist of multiple band pass filters that feed each band into an envelope follower per band. The resulting voltages (or software equalent) will change the volume of bandpassfilters that change the sound of the carrier signal according the modulation signal (via the controll voltage).
The Voyager had nothing like this.

Some vocoders got an onboard polyphonic sound generation as carrier signal. But this is not a part of the vocoder per definition. Just like FX in a synth are not really parts of a synth. Especially if the can't be modulated by the synth modulations.

The Korg VC-10 had an onboard sound generation. But the famous Moog Vocoder didn't had it.

So:
- Moog Voyager can't act like a vocoder.
- Vocoders aren't polyphonic. Or have you heard of a polyphonic delay and a monophonic one? ;-)

read this for more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocoder

Till "Qwave" Kopper

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:56 pm

I always wanted one of these:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/vocoder.shtml

Like the Roland SVC-350, but with a built in 3 VCO synthesizer! I mean, look at it!

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:31 pm

Don't forget the human voice is monophonic! 8)

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:00 pm

You don't have to use the human voice with a vocoder.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:49 pm

Since we are on vocoders... My friend left his MicroKorg at my house and I was playing with it. I tried running my drum machine (Siel MDP-40) through it, but I wouldn't acknowledge the drums, only my voice. Why?
-Tyler2000-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:53 pm

endocrine wrote:Since we are on vocoders... My friend left his MicroKorg at my house and I was playing with it. I tried running my drum machine (Siel MDP-40) through it, but I wouldn't acknowledge the drums, only my voice. Why?
-Tyler2000-
Sounds like a signal routing issue to me. Look for a switch that changes the modulator input from 'mic' to 'line' (or something like that...)

Greg

TRUBBLEMAN

Post by TRUBBLEMAN » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:30 am

Many many thanx guys, like I say i am a novice 2 synths. I was sure i had seen a video with someone (possibly money mark or fred wreck) using a mic plugged directly into a voyager singing whilst playing notes! It must have been one of those really strange dreams. I was under the impression it was really easy to use a vocoder on the voyager but as it doesnt have one i might struggle! back to the rubbish one on the microkorg then. Tweak tweak. Once again many thanx & REST IN PEACE BOB!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:15 pm

In the Moog movie, Money Mark plugged a dynamic mic into the Voyager's External Input, placed the mic in his mouth and simply processed his voice through the Voyager. That's what you're seeing.

Note that you can plug anything into the Ext. input (guitar, other synths, an audio CD,etc.) and process the sound with the Voyager filters and amplifier.

This has nothing to do with a vocoder.

TRUBBLEMAN

Post by TRUBBLEMAN » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:00 pm

Thanx for that thats exactly what I wanted to know :)