'Keyboard Amps'

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
ricknboogie

Re: 'Keyboard Amps'

Post by ricknboogie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:50 am

I like the Roland KC 350 alot, which is handy for its 4 chan mixer, but many times, I'll use a Mesa M3 Carbine bass head through a variety of bass cabs instead. Favorite so far, as a persoanl monitor, is the M3 through an Aguilar DB210. Fairly small, but plenty of volume, and handles the full frequency spectrum of my synths.

aen

Post by aen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:04 pm

Really happy with a super-powered GK bass head and an Ampeg 8x10.

jonalexher

Post by jonalexher » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:38 pm

awesome post, I was looking for something just like this
I'm a guitar player and keyboard player and just recently got my first synth (little phatty) are there any cheap but nice sounding bass amps that will get the job done for the phatty? or should I go for a keyboard amp instead? what is the difference?

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:44 pm

jonalexher wrote:awesome post, I was looking for something just like this
I'm a guitar player and keyboard player and just recently got my first synth (little phatty) are there any cheap but nice sounding bass amps that will get the job done for the phatty? or should I go for a keyboard amp instead? what is the difference?
In the "cheap-but-nice" bass amp category, a lot of people use Markbass amps. Some also get by with a used Roland JC-120 - it's a guitar amp, but will survive anything you plug into it (bass, keyboards).

The main difference between keyboard amps and bass amps is that most keyboard amps are basically powered PA speakers (no preamp) - except quality is inferior as some would argue - while bass amps also include a preamp for bass guitars and upright bass pickups - these preamps are voiced specifically for bass. Some bass amps put tubes in the preamp, and the more expensive (and heavier!) ones use tubes in the power section as well.

MC

Post by MC » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:13 pm

I know a keyboard player who uses the newer Fender Bassman for keys, the 2x10 combo. Sounded good.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

filtered

Post by filtered » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:11 pm

Wow! I guess I'm the only guy here that somehow sounds good in a live setting, using a Fender Twin guitar amp- Maybe my Moog is some bizarre guitar amp setup one-off? :roll:
Haha- Anyway, I play in bands with bassists, so never need to fill that role- Maybe if I tried, I might blow up my rig, but with the wattage of a Twin, it hasn't happened yet, and I have done some filter sweeps that shake the bar glasses-
Take everything on here with a shaker of salt- I've had countless people compliment my sound, I'm on top of the mix, and my Moog sounds like a Moog, so what the fluck else would I be aiming for?

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:23 pm

filtered wrote:Wow! I guess I'm the only guy here that somehow sounds good in a live setting, using a Fender Twin guitar amp- Maybe my Moog is some bizarre guitar amp setup one-off? :roll:
Haha- Anyway, I play in bands with bassists, so never need to fill that role- Maybe if I tried, I might blow up my rig, but with the wattage of a Twin, it hasn't happened yet, and I have done some filter sweeps that shake the bar glasses-
Take everything on here with a shaker of salt- I've had countless people compliment my sound, I'm on top of the mix, and my Moog sounds like a Moog, so what the fluck else would I be aiming for?
That's why you haven't blown up your Twin yet. 8)

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:09 pm

thealien666 wrote:I've played my Voyager Old School (back when I had it) through a pair of Mackie SRM-450, and the result was impressive, to say the least ! Covered the whole range of the instrument.
i have a pair of Mackie SRM-350 (so the model down fom yours). Do you think a Moog would be ok thru these ??

Ta,

Paul
Moog Subsequent 25 / MiniMoog Model D / Cubase 9 / Sibelius 8.6

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:52 pm

I couldn't say, since I've never tried those... But I guess they should be okay. Although I've read that there was sometimes big differences in sound between different models of those...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:20 am

thealien666 wrote:Although I've read that there was sometimes big differences in sound between different models of those...
Double the price is one of the differences !! lol
Moog Subsequent 25 / MiniMoog Model D / Cubase 9 / Sibelius 8.6

Ryan Lubinsky

Post by Ryan Lubinsky » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:26 pm

i use a pair of roland kc-550 in stereo. i pretty much use them as my main PA system . i run every thing into my studiolive then into the kc550s. i also use my JC120 witch works great for live situations and sometimes i will use a vox ac15 to give me that tube warmth and distortion. the ac15 is more of a studio option b/c it cant keep up with a live drummer with out cranking it all the way up and then your stuck with all that breakup / distortion.