what will they name it?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:42 pm

I'm sorry, but if has a cheap build, has DCOs and is made in India, it ain't a Moog. I think some people here are missing the whole point of Moog products: Quality. If you want them to build a piece of crap and slap the Moog name on it, then buy a Korg and put a Moog sticker on it. Seems like some people want a Moog just becase it says "Moog" on it, not because of what it is. This is some brand name bullsh*t.

I'm sorry if you can't afford it, but whats the difference between $1000 and $2000? A couple of months of saving? Jeez, eat Ramen every night for a month and buy an RME already!

Indeed

Post by Indeed » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:55 am

nah nah nah...
If they create a budget synth, it should/would be for the purpose of stimulating interest in the more fully featured Voyager. A great many buyers will look at the difference and weigh whether or not its worth it to go for more or less, in their potential Brand New Moog. I see something like this:
2 VCOs + env
1 Filter + env
1 Noise
1 LFO
pitch & mod wheels, no backlighting (in general)
no CV, or very limited CV...like panning & filter...or something...
3D Touchpad (important for a performace instrument)
No Pedal Mod Bus
No Envelope Gate (audio input)...

Jesus, I feel like I just Nazi'd the Voyager...yikes! Forgive me!! yuck!! argh!!!

Of course it'd have to be hand-made in America, otherwise forget it...
MIDI & Patch Memory is important for a lot of musicians out there, but I don't think modularity is.

I thinks if people compare the features between a new low budget Moog and the Voyager, they're gonna go for the Voyager & live off Top Ramen & P-Nut butter for a year if they have to.

So perhaps Moogmusic sees this, and the whole idea is a moot point for them.
"Back to the drawing board..."

:idea:
MPC3000, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 108m, 107, CP-251, MINI MODEL D, OB-8, ALESIS A6, ARP ODYSSEY MK1, RHODES MK1

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:10 am

sir_dss,

After rereading your post, I realized you were joking :o Sarcasm doesn't always translate very well on the internet!

Anyway, I still feel the same about what I said above. People! Don't just buy a product for name recognition! Buy a product because it is a good product! Its the New Moog Diet! Cup-o-Noodle and peanut butter on Wonderbread!

Seriously, if my broke a$$ can afford a Voyager, anyone can....

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:23 am

Musashidan wrote:nah nah nah...
If they create a budget synth, it should/would be for the purpose of stimulating interest in the more fully featured Voyager. A great many buyers will look at the difference and weigh whether or not its worth it to go for more or less, in their potential Brand New Moog. I see something like this:
2 VCOs + env
1 Filter + env
1 Noise
1 LFO
pitch & mod wheels, no backlighting (in general)
no CV, or very limited CV...like panning & filter...or something...
3D Touchpad (important for a performace instrument)
No Pedal Mod Bus
No Envelope Gate (audio input)...

Of course it'd have to be hand-made in America, otherwise forget it...
MIDI & Patch Memory is important for a lot of musicians out there, but I don't think modularity is.

Every bloody synth out there has midi and patch memory, big deal what can you do with midi and patch memory that makes it better than modularity,

patch memory is for lazy
people midi is for convenience
modularity is for exploration

which do you think is more moog

I think they should give it more modularity than the voyager, so that you don't need the mod bus section and so it would work more with the foogers (that's just my dream, but it should at least have the same kind of expansion options as the RME, in fact they could even use the same expanders or slight variations of them).

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:01 am

godzilla wrote: patch memory is for lazy people
Wow, what a strange thing to say. You when I'm making a song, recording the idea in my head is much more important than trying to recall and patch together some sound I made a month ago. Also, ever tried gigging with a modular? You might as well say indoor bathrooms are for lazy people...

ARP

Post by ARP » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:28 am

"gigging with a modular synth, is like having a desk job" ...Keith Emerson
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:31 am

OysterRock wrote:
godzilla wrote: patch memory is for lazy people
Wow, what a strange thing to say. You when I'm making a song, recording the idea in my head is much more important than trying to recall and patch together some sound I made a month ago. Also, ever tried gigging with a modular?
my comment wasn't entirely serious, but i still think that patch memory isn't really a unique feature that would put a moog synth above others, if they released the voyager with all the same audio stuff without any of the computer OS memory etc for the same price as an RME which one would you buy

i already have four synths and i'm not going to get any more that i can't expand upon/use with things like foogers/other modules, even a cheaper moog would still be pricy and it just doesn't make sense to me to buy something with built in limitations, sure memory is useful but really it has no effect on the sound. Lack of memory doesn't seem to be that much of an issue for those who buy old model D, prodigy, rouge, micro or multi synths.

The point is memory is a non-essential factor of a synth that adds to the cost the voyager, in a cheaper version it should be omitted. back to basics nobs and switches like the foogers. no display no cursors no data entry, just voltage.
You might as well say indoor bathrooms are for lazy people...
they are :)

ebg31

Post by ebg31 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:59 am

Sometimes, it takes more effort to get to an indoor bathroom than to make a bee line for the nearest tree.

I bet Godzilla doesn't gig.
"The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive," - Eric Benjamin Gordon, 2001

Thank you Lord for Doctor Robert Moog!

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:48 pm

personally, i would like a NEW (more affordable) moog for my rock band. no midi for me... just something to plug into an amp and play on stage. something cheaper than the voyager, and easier to obtain than a moog source. so if a beer was spilled into it, I wouldnt have to sell my car. I'm using my source now and i'm always a little afraid. Sure I could get another source for what it would cost for this ficticious new monomoog. But i dont want to have to replace my source. I also rely less on my source as it gets older. if i go out on tour and i'm halfway across the country and it fails, i'm pretty much screwed. and i would like some knobs for live fun control. just my thoughts.

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:04 pm

My idea for a Made In India/DCO/No CV synth was just to prove a point what a great DEAL the Voyager already is.

Matched transistors, silver mica caps, film caps, 1% resistors, wood cabinets, a bunch of high quality pots, etc...

It all adds up to an expensive instrument to produce. Then you mix in the YEARS Bob and Co. took to develope a TOP OF THE LINE synthesizer. One or maybe even the best synth ever. This synth is built for the long run. You can find a Voyager for like $2500 new and sometimes $1600 used on ebay.

Please people...get youself a MG-1 or Rouge if you want the basic synth you seem to talk about. If you like the new features save up for a RME. I'm going to start myself. It would be fun to see how that will work with my Voyager.

The RME would be fantastic to tour/gig with with a small midi controler. It's like 5 rackspaces in hight? You could just put that into a 7 space rack case with a power amp, bring some sort of speaker or play through a PA(!) there you go. Perhaps they will make another expantion unit that will be just the touchpad if you want that feature.

Oh... and MR. Oyster I do play shows live with a MOTM/Blacet modular system with the Voyager. People really respond to the performance of getting sounds and patches from the modular. Being out there with 20 patch cables around your neck looking like a madman, getting all sorts of these crazy sounds each time you plug or unplug something. Maybe it's a reaction to the last 10 years of laptop shows putting people to sleep. People just sitting there at a desk onstage.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:41 pm

sir_dss wrote: Oh... and MR. Oyster I do play shows live with a MOTM/Blacet modular system with the Voyager....
I'm glad that works for you I'm sure its a sight to see, but its not for everyone. When I play a gig, it is usually several keyboards and effects (rhodes, clav, voyager, moogers..). I don't have the time or the space to be fumbling with cables. Maybe if all I was playing was synth, it would be great, I've usually got a lot more to worry about like: "Dammit another key stuck on my rhodes, better get the screwdriver!" or "Geez, this clav is noisy!" or "The guitar player is playing the wrong song!".

Personally, I would take a Source over a Prodigy or Rouge any day....

ebg31

Post by ebg31 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:19 pm

Historically, the Source was meant to substitute for the Minimoog, whereas the Prodigy - Rogue - MG-1 aren't even in the Source's league. Anyone who owns a Source and any one of those others must hear something seperate but distinctive about each of them.

If a gallop pole were to reveal that the Voyager RME sounds just as good as the Kb version(s), who's to say that it won't become a hot number in the not-so-distant future?
"The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive," - Eric Benjamin Gordon, 2001

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:38 pm

ebg31 wrote:Sometimes, it takes more effort to get to an indoor bathroom than to make a bee line for the nearest tree.

I bet Godzilla doesn't gig.
I've got a gig this friday, playing my etherwave in a crazy jazz improv performance at an art gallery.

but your right, this will be my 1st gig since i was 13.
i am more home studio based.
i would be playing a lot more but my course takes up o lot of time (i'm doing an acting course) trying to balance study, song writing, performances (plays) and the film units i've just started is quite a strain, but hopefuly i'll be doing a lot more in the near future.

anyway when i'm playing songs, and creating sounds, very few are static, most evolve from one setting to the next, less than half of the soundscapes i make are actually stored in the memory of my synths the rest i have to dig out with a combination of instinct and old school personalised memory from the brain.

ebg31

Post by ebg31 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:12 pm

Damn!

Who do we know with a career like that?

With all that juggling - drama class, performance, writing, producing and the occasional music gig - you could appreciate people's inclination towards a synth along the lines of the Source.

Honestly, did you mean what you said about patch memory being for lazy people? In order to rapidly dial up a completely new patch on a Minimoog Model D between songs, your hands need to be just as swift and agile as those of Lt. Commander Data on Star Trek: the Next Generation.

I bet that's a key reason why the Moog Satillite gardered any sort of success. Not just for its sound, but for its preset sounds.

Make sense?

Indeed

Post by Indeed » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:26 am

godzilla,
pls don't misunderstand me. I rarely use MIDI technology, except for when I sample. I love CV. But, most musicians out there are unaware of CV, are into patch memory, and triggering other synths. Besides, we're thinking "budget synth with quality."

We all want what we want, but if MOOG makes a budget synth, it still ain't gonna be cheap, although in comparison to the Voyager, it may seem to be... Furthermore, the corners they cut may be too severe...may render the instrument undesirable for the end user cost.

If Moogmusic is really smart, they're gonna make something that Voyager owners will want as well!! Something to augment/attach & use with the Voyager as well as standalone...

MPC3000, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 108m, 107, CP-251, MINI MODEL D, OB-8, ALESIS A6, ARP ODYSSEY MK1, RHODES MK1