what will they name it?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
martin

Post by martin » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:12 pm

that's right, dotcom have filled the market. imagine if moog music could buy them and slap their name on it (ok won't be able to sel it in the uk, ggrrrr) and make a groundbreaking new modular dream concept.

if i were a leprechaun up in marketingland, i'd put the moogmen and the arrickmen on a grassy green hill in connemara, cast a magic ancient spell on them and kaboom, a new moog/arrick co-operation modular system.

ot
moog don't have a slogan like most companies do. so how's this:

"enhancing your ear utilization"
"top-notch-cutting-edge-hot-as-heck"
"synthesis for the people with their heads screwed on backwards" (as read elsewhere here)
"key personnel making stuff for keyboard personnel"
"knob save the queen"
"touched by a pad"
"wood on the outside, good on the inside"

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:10 pm

It would be great for Moog modules to be re-released, but I don't think there's too much of a market for them either. I know a lot of people want to puke hearing about the 808. They do sell very well even for an old unit. Although there are other great drum machines available, a Moog one is the only one that could de-throne the king.

I think there is enough of a Hip Hop and Electronica market available to make a Moog drum machine profitable. MIDI is a must like ebg31 said, and it would flop if it wasn't analog like the 808. It should not emulate an 808 though, it should kick it's booty.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:12 pm

http://www.moogce.com/

Very expensive!

martin

Post by martin » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:44 pm

ok but how would you design such a thing? along the lines of a 16 step sequencer with, say, 4 tracks? or pattern-based? with a few tweakable presets? (bass, snare, click, sub-bass)? would there be user presets? samples stored internaly? would it have wooden side panels? LEDs? woudl you use two oscillators, one noise source, a ringmod and a spring reverb to make the actual sounds? what sound sources would you put in there?

in any case iguess that it would have to have at least a few basic components (=modules?) to make serious whoopass drum sounds, including of course one or two moog filters. or would you put a wavetable in there?

when i envision an aoofirdable moog drumbox i see something like a beatbox thing with 6 preset knobs that can be combined to make preset rhumba/chacha rhythms (or hip hop/dnb/groove) presets. i see something cheesy. nothing that can't be done with a voyager and a multitracker synced with a midi sequencer.

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:04 pm

The new drum synth/machine would be NOT be sample-based. It would have 8 sounds:
-Kick
-Snare
-Closed Hat
-Open Hat
-Crash Ride
-Tom1
-Tom2
-Floor Tom

Each one would have it's own set of knobs to set things like length, click, decay, sustain, pitch (when applicable), etc., based on what it should need. It would be preset pattern based, but of course it would feature extensive midi (which is where its at), or you could buy the sequencer expansion. Also, assignable filter. Also, as is common place today, it would have patch memory for different kits. Oh yeah. It would be called Moog The Box.

The Box, baby.

-T2k-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:40 pm

The blue backlighting and wood panels are a must. Endocrine, what about the cowbell? I know a Voyager can do drums, but there are a lot of people that would buy a Moog drum box that can't afford or aren't interested in a Voyager. The drum box would also free up the Voyager and would be faster to lay down tracks. I personally use MIDI for drum sequences, but because of the icon of the 808 layout a 16 step sequencer with presets would probably be more appealing. I'm positive Moog would come up with new, must have features just like the MFs.

ebg31

Post by ebg31 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:38 pm

They could also incorporate the MF interfacing included in the Voyager design.
"The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive," - Eric Benjamin Gordon, 2001

Thank you Lord for Doctor Robert Moog!

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon

ebg31

Post by ebg31 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:41 pm

They could possibly name the drum machine "Moogerbanger," or something similar. A reference to the MF pedals connected with "banging percussion instruments."
"The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive," - Eric Benjamin Gordon, 2001

Thank you Lord for Doctor Robert Moog!

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:58 pm

What if you could use the VX-351 touch screen jacks to the Moog drum machine?

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:00 pm

Lengal

Now you'er talking!

Indeed

Post by Indeed » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:17 am

man! i like that cowbell idea! I think its vital! Not so sure about stock preset patterns...but I thinks being able to store your own patterns & sounds is a cool thing... CV all the way would be NUTS... it would definitely set it apart from the rest of the boxes out there.. But I don't think it should be pitted against the hardware sampler/sequencer...but they could/should/would work together.

But, they should totally put trigger pads on it so it can be used in a live gig, by say, an electric guitarist or cellist...or thereminist!!! And (here it goes), bring back the ill foot controllers...Taurus style perhaps... That way, an instrumentalist can play or program the beat with feet while playing their theremin or violin, etc...
Roland Kirk style...word...

Jesus! I agree on wood panelling, back-lit sh*t, dual filters, 8-9 drum sound categories, VCA envelope, variable waveform, Filter Envelope, NOISE, no sequencer, maybe step...I dunno...real simple and BOOMIN'... that sh*t would strait wreck havock!

Let go of the 'cheap' idea, please. I'M broke as hell, got crazy debt...but I'm sick of cheap gear. I refuse to own it anymore...unless it presents great musical value at the same time...Man, I've gone through so much garbage, I really don't mind hustlin the extra go to get a well-made & well-designed instrument. If MOOG MADE IT CHEAP, IT WOULDN'T BE A MOOG, its as simple as that...it wouldn't uphold the reputation Moog has. Would you ask Rolls-Royce to release something 'cheap' for the masses?? F*ck no! You want a real samurai sword that'll cut through bone in one swipe? You gonna shell out the bucks for it! Otherwise you can goto chinatown & get a tourist set for $100...same with gear, most of the time...

It'd prolly be similar in magnitude to the Voyager, no doubt...

But it would be a real MONSTER.
I know this, that's why some of y'all are scared.

:idea:
MPC3000, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 108m, 107, CP-251, MINI MODEL D, OB-8, ALESIS A6, ARP ODYSSEY MK1, RHODES MK1

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:13 am

Thanks for contacting me. I have certainly seen the Moog Forum
conversations about a new, less expensive synth. Yes, we would
certainly
like to be able to do that. When and if we will be able to do it are
questions that we have been asking that have apparently spawned these
rumors. Let me say that we have not figured it out as of yet.

Thanks for asking...

Mike Adams
www.moogmusic.com
50 Years of Timeless Electronic Musical Instruments

not the worst news but not that good either, at least the working/thinking on/about it.

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:04 pm

True or not, it's fun to talk about.

In regards to the cowbell, you could buy an expansion set featuring sounds like:
-Cowbell (with a volume control that goes to 11)
-Wood Block
-China Cymbal
-More Toms?
-Hand Claps (with a slapback delay and reverb)
-Shaker
-Rimshot
-Gong?
-Tambourine
-Aux. Kick?

Stuff like that. I totally forgot to mention that you could trigger it with drums pads, thats very important. Wood panels for sure. As for backlighting, it should have a knob to scroll through differnet back lighting colors. As for foot triggers, just use midi and your favourite pedals.
-tyler2000-
-Alabama Jihad

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:06 pm

Oh, and for all of those who say they won't build it because there is no market, shut up. If they were looking for a market, they would be building VAs or corny plastic home models. Have some respect. It's not always about money.
-t
-Alabama Jihad

martin

Post by martin » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:46 pm

that is kind of rude to say shut up just cuz you have a different opinion.