MIGHTY MOOG

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
mee3d

Post by mee3d » Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:04 am

I do understand what you are saying . . . and having experienced the moog "going down" mid show I would agree but for 95% of the gig she sounded great and when it did come back to life it was like a showy temperamental musician wanting to hog the limelight - just another member of the band.

Keith without the monster moog is like Rick without the cape . . . excellent musicianship but no theatre spectacle, so I'm happy that he still drags the relic around (as the sounds coming from his Pro-mega 3 and Triton88 were a bit crap).

Peaman

Post by Peaman » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:32 pm

When Keith played the Moog at Newcastle a few weeks ago....it sounded unbelievable. Considering it hadnt been played for years, keiths keyboard tech did really well to get the beast running....also considering it is an incredibly sensitive peice of equipment i think its incredible.....museum disply....HECK NO

dzy88p

Post by dzy88p » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:54 pm

The sounds he was getting from the Apollo/Modular/Minimoog setup back in '74 were THE BEST KEYBOARDS SOUNDS EVER!

Listening to Live In Poland '97 I was dismayed at the cheesy sounds Keith was using for Karn Evil 9. I don't understand why he doesn't recreate the original sounds on the Moog in a controlled environment and then sample them into a keyboard, rather than coming up with really lame presets on today's digital synths. But then that would be tedious and time consuming and would demand a bit of patience.

ebg31

Sampled Moog: Definite NO NO!!

Post by ebg31 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:59 pm

dzy88p wrote:Listening to Live In Poland '97 I was dismayed at the cheesy sounds Keith was using for Karn Evil 9. I don't understand why he doesn't recreate the original sounds on the Moog in a controlled environment and then sample them into a keyboard, rather than coming up with really lame presets on today's digital synths. But then that would be tedious and time consuming and would demand a bit of patience.
I wish I could hear ELP in concert, sometime. Then, I could finally grasp how incredible the modular monster really is. From what I've already heard of them on disc / mp3's, I doubt that Keith could get the same response that he's gotten from any Moog synth, if its sound was sampled onto a digital instrument. That's got to be why the thing still towers so majestically above whatever else he's using.

Just my opinion.
"The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive," - Eric Benjamin Gordon, 2001

Thank you Lord for Doctor Robert Moog!

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon