Source Question

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
theglyph

Post by theglyph » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:21 pm

endocrine wrote: Jokers = Casios
I would agree that the Casio is the Joker.

I own a Voyager AE, Waldorf Q, Roland Juno 106, Siel DK 600, Nord Electro and an Ensoniq MR.

But the only sampler i own among this mighty group is a Casio SK-5! Hehe, all 1.5 seconds of it.

endocrine

Post by endocrine » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:59 pm

I like Casios, but in a different way than other synths. They are easy to get, fun to play, and darn cute. Some of thier stuff isn't half bad.
-Tyler2000-
"You can't touch me 'cause your hands are made of metal."
-Alabama Jihad

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:34 am

so getting back on topic here...

i just read a blurb from a guy selling a source on ebay. he writes:

"The filter is the patented Moog ladder filter which can be overdriven when oscs are set to full volume, just like the Mini!"

i didnt know about this... i have most of my presets osc's set at full volume. i wonder at what value it starts to overdrive? (1-99)

MC

Post by MC » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:11 am

I've owned a Source since 1985, and to my ears I can hear distortion creeping in after "50". Very noticeable with dual sweeping VCOs.

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:24 am

MC wrote:I've owned a Source since 1985, and to my ears I can hear distortion creeping in after "50". Very noticeable with dual sweeping VCOs.
oh i should turn the damn thing down and see if i get some prettier tones. haha

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:10 pm

question about the cord used to power the moog source:
this is probably dumb of me, but i assumed those 3 prong cables used for amps, computers, etc were all the same. Am i wrong?

Do they need to 'match' the respective gear in a certain way (like wattage/volts etc)? If so, this would explain something :)

pelican1

Post by pelican1 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:48 pm

you talking about xlr??....only difference I know of is between us and european..different ground pin .

MC

Post by MC » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:42 pm

writeroxie wrote:question about the cord used to power the moog source:
this is probably dumb of me, but i assumed those 3 prong cables used for amps, computers, etc were all the same. Am i wrong?

Do they need to 'match' the respective gear in a certain way (like wattage/volts etc)? If so, this would explain something :)
That IEC three-pin power socket is used worldwide. First you need to verify that the unit is wired for your local voltage (should be labeled on the badge with the serial #) and second you need a power cord that mates with the duplex outlets for your country.

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:40 pm

no, not xlr. the cord fits my wall socket/moog fine. american cord/power supply etc. but i ask because i've used different power cords with my source (like ones from guitar amps and computers) because they are the same 'type' of cord, however my source would sometimes do this thing where 2 keys (side by side) would play the same note. i wondered if the voltage wasn't correct or something, but i thought these cords were basically universal?

i just noticed that on the end of the cord (that came with my moog) it's: 10A 125V. but so was the cord from an old computer, and amplifier that i used sometimes too. weird.

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:15 pm

ok so one more source question: non related...

this is basic filtering i guess. is there a way to have the filter not start-over when i depress a key? or is this a function that the source doesnt do? i want the filter to keep sweeping even when i take my fingers off the keys. seems like it starts over each time i hit a key. any ideas?

thanks as usual!
Last edited by writeroxie on Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

MC

Post by MC » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:09 am

More info please. Are you sweeping the filter with the EG?

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:30 am

appreciate the reply...

i'm using the EG (adsr)

MC

Post by MC » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:25 pm

When you release the key, the EGs will stop sweeping and will re-start on the next key press. That's the way most monosynths are designed.

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:38 pm

MC wrote:When you release the key, the EGs will stop sweeping and will re-start on the next key press. That's the way most monosynths are designed.
ahh, okay. see i started with an MG-1, which doesnt even have a filter EG. so i'm used to an endless sweep... (regardless of letting the keys up) i guess which was controlled by the modulation?

writeroxie

more!

Post by writeroxie » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:07 pm

hi again,
so my source questions/woes continue on...

I mentioned this on the forum a while back, but the synth never did it again so i thought it was a random squeak, until recently. the middle F# and G keys were both playing the same note (intermittently).

I think some of you said it was because the synth couldn't decide which note to go with. I had it it tuned and recalibrated with a strobe tuner by a trustoworthy engineer friend of mine who's worked a lot on moogs. he said something like: he figured it drifted so far off that one of those notes voltage was now closer to the other than itself (he said that in a lot more complicated way, thats just my dummy version).

anyway, i had him tune it up and recalibrate it and then i used it for a rehearsal set last night. after about it hour it suddenly did the 'dual-note problem' again, but NOW it had moved from that middle F# (which is exactly halfway across the keyboard) down 13 keys to share the lower F and F# together. this is very bizarre. any idea (from how far the problem moved) what may be causing an issue like this?

The engineer thought maybe it was inconsistent voltages on the output of the wall plug i was using. but i had this happen in my house as well as the rehersal building. before it would happen upon start-up, but this time it happened after an hour problem free. If i plug it in right now, it'll probably be fine again. It never acts up when i want to show someone.

any solutions / ideas are welcome!
Thanks
-Jim