Over Priced

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
suede

Over Priced

Post by suede » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:01 pm

Anyone agree that the new Voyager is way over priced ? and that people who want to take a giant step backwards want the model D with a more reasonable price ? These Elitists at Moog Music have their heads on backwards.

Bring back the Model D with a $2k Retail price and maybe you will sell some units.
These Voyagers are not moving, at our store one came in and we had to sell it one year later as a demo, we will not be ordering anymore.

flame away

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:06 pm

Are you kidding? Please, go start a flame war somewhere else, you're not welcome here.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:29 pm

Not selling the Voyager may have to do with marketing for your store, not the synth. They aren't going to sell like Korgs or Yamahas.

suede

Post by suede » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:03 pm

why should we market them ? they are over priced , We can't keep the ION in stock but the Voyager collected dust , now the Elitists at Moog have a Upgrade that will cost you plenty.
Moog is a cult for people with their heads on backwards.Moog Voyager is a over priced failure.

how many units have sold ?

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:49 pm

Whining about why Moog won't make a cheap Model D makes as much sense as whining about why Porsche won't make a cheap Turbo Carrera.

Or maybe Porsche is a cult for people with their heads on backwards (gee, how do they drive?).

How many cars has Porsche sold? By comparison, the Hyundai dealer in my neighborhood can't seem to keep their cars in stock...

Must be another over-priced failure.

;-)

ebg31

Post by ebg31 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:38 pm

What you need to do is cut the price to $2500. That could draw a few more takers.

Besides, people spend much more than that on a custom modular synth. Those are, at most, duophonic. You should use that as part of your selling point.
"The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive," - Eric Benjamin Gordon, 2001

Thank you Lord for Doctor Robert Moog!

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon

MisterModular

Post by MisterModular » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:53 pm

Ions sell lots because they are cheap not because they are better synths than the Moog. My money is on the Voyager lasting 30+ years while the Ion will most likely be a dead piece of crap in 5. $3000 for something that will last you a LONG time is really not that bad. Plus it sounds, looks, feels and plays so beautifully. I'm pretty sure it's selling well anyway so I wouldn't call it a failure. There are plenty of "Elitists" out there. I'm one of them :-)

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:12 am

Hmm,

sure they're a bit expensive - but so what? Many other instruments are not cheap at all. If people can't afford it they can always look for something else.

8)

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:12 am

moog is the porsche of synths.

martin

Post by martin » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:35 am

i am not going to engage in whining or flaming.
i own a voyager and i love its sound and looks. it is truly a masterpiece.

is it overpriced? depends on your veiwpoint. straight out of the box i would say yes it is. why?
let me tell you why: when i bought it, i thought it was fully functional. after os updates the touchscreen died inexplicably and no tip from here (including rude ones) or moog music could help. the pb wheel didn't do what it said in the manual. after ordering it i had to wait and received it whopping 6 months later. being a uk model, it did not have a badge from moog.
i had to re-ship it to turnkey in london, and could get a price reduction for the fixes and shipping - only with a lot - a lot - of arguing and correspondence.

i don't use it so much. the memory of this hassle gives me bad vibes.
would i buy it again? no. for this price i would go for a modular system, one of the many hi quality systems on the market now.

i was and still am a big fan of all things moog, from wendy carlos "switched on bach" to the new products made by moog music.
but this was just not what i expected. you can get used voyagers for nearly half the price for a new one (when i bought it cost over 2000 squids).
plus, the synthesizer itself is incomplete. you are forced to by the break out box to have the outs available. i have come to dislike this concept.

i met bob moog in london when he was at the moog event, and i asked him to sign my invitation email which he did. now that he's no longer with us i am glad i got the chance to see him in london.
he was such a nice guy and had time to chat with his fans. somehow, my experience with the voyager purchase did not mirror the experience of meeting bob - and that makes me sad.

as i said, i don't intend to flame or whine and i hope that my points don't come across that way. by comparison, if i may compare, i have owned many other synths, all of them way cheaper. none have ever had a pitch bend maladjustment or simply had malfunctions in vital areas. a 2000 pound synth that has a pitch bend tracking problem? come on. sorry, i have no interest in that.

i am going to keep my voyager - because it does sound great and is a treasured machine made by the moogies. but functionwise there are synths out there that'll give you more flexibility for the buck. modulars for instance.

my 2 and a half cents

martn

Don

Re: Over Priced

Post by Don » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:57 pm

Perhaps the problem is not so much that customers who come into your store won't buy the Voyager so much as the negative attitude of the sales people--combined with their inability to sell products--results in poor sales.

I would suggest that your synth salespeople be given classes in how to sell (maybe take some workshops in NLP, for example) and better training in comparing features and quality of different synthesizers.

The fact is, its the job of salespeople to SELL the products they have. If they are incapable of doing so, they should get jobs more befitting their sales skills. Suede, can you say, "Would you like fries with your burger?"

martin

Post by martin » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:30 pm

"at you need to do is cut the price to $2500. That could draw a few more takers."

this quote from one of the posters above answers exactly to what the original poster was talking about: the voyager does show a slight streak of overpricedness, to put it mildly.

it does seem to me that price *is* an issue for many potential takers. as far as the range of functions and the flexibility of the voyager is concerned, i believe it is in some ways more restricted than a decent modular system in approximately the same price range.

ok, it may not be fair to compare a modular system with the voyager. it's not even fair to compare it to a model d, i guess.

still, bottom line (for me) is, although the instrument is as sturdy as a tank and will last for many years, it is quite overpriced.

martin

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:54 pm

[quote]why should we market them ? they are over priced

This, I think, says it in a nutshell. With this attitude regarding the Voyager, it will be difficult to sell the unit unless someone comes in specifically to purchase one. If there is another store in town that handles Moog that has a better attitude, I would elect to purchase there.

Having said that, we only have one store in our town that has one in stock. It has been in stock for a long time, too. At least the keyboard manager is not all down on the product. He is quite excited about Moog and is thrilled to let you play it. He is very enthusiastic.

In a town as big as Portland, you really have to search to find anybody selling analog synths. In addition to the one Voyager there is one PolyEvolver rack and one PolyEvolver Keyboard. That is it for analog keyboards in all the music shops in this town.

Lets face it--there is only a certain kind of buyer that is looking for a monophonic keyboard that retails for $3,000. You can buy an 88 weighted key full disco Korg, Yamaha, or Roland for that amount. This is what the majority of keyboard players are looking for, expecially if they have a limited budget. If I was looking to buy ONE keyboard and it was between a Triton and a Voyager, I would buy the Triton.

However, if you are looking for something to fill out your keyboard quiver, the Moog is a great option. Nothing else sounds like it. The above named digitals can do filter sweeps which is cool....until you compare it to a Moog filter sweep. No comparison.

Moogs just have "that sound". My Mini is still my favorite keyboard. When I take people up to see my studio, the sounds that get the oohs and aahs come from the Mini.

Voyagers are built well (sorry Martin--you got a lemon), sound amazing, can be used as a basis for a modular, and let's face it.....they have quite a pedigree.

I like the statement that they are like a Porche. Fords are great and they sell tons of them, but when you need a Porche, nothing else will do. I don't think that the Porche salespeople tell you that they are elitist and overpriced......

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:57 pm

First of all, martin, I want to thank you for expressing your view point in a coherent and non-offensive manner. Discussion is good, flaming is bad and threads like these are obviously ploys to rile people up.

That said, I think we can all agree and understand that the Voyager is expensive, but I really don't see how anyone can say that it is overpriced. Do any of us really know how much they cost Moog to produce? What their overhead is? What their profit margins are? What a small company really does when making a modern analog synthesizer? No.

Also, the thing about capitalism is that items set thier own price. If something was truely overpriced, the company would reduce the price, as Moog has done a few times. These things started at around $3000 each, now they are much less. I wouldn't pay $3000, $2400 was my limit and thats what I paid. Any more would be "over" my "price".

My point is that "overpriced" is a term relative to the buyer, it may cost more then they are willing to pay for what they think it can do for them. And that debates like this are pointless :wink:

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:13 pm

Martin.....

Sorry, but I don't agree with your reasoning in your last post.

What new keyboard isn't discounted 15 to 25% from retail price at most music stores? They do it on Korgs. They do it on Yamahas. They do it on Rolands. Fender and Gibson guitars are all discounted. Virtually EVERYTHING in a music store is discounted. Does that mean that all those items are overpriced? I feel sorry for the small mom and pop stores. It is a tough biz to make a living in these days.

You can get a small .com modular for $2,500 that is similar to a Mini. But wait--it doesn't have a keyboard. I am certainly not putting down the .com product--I intend to purchase a larger unit some day. But I have a friend that is a very knowledgable EE that is a synth freak and he maintains that the Voyager is built much better. A .com is a great deal because it is sold directly--no music store markup. Yet it is still not that much different in price from a Mini. Price a Buchla!! Most modulars that I have priced are quite expensive.

True, the Voyager would have probably sold better if it sold for $2,000 which was the target price for the Big Briar version when the concept for the Voyager was coming out. This was pre touchpad and before presets.

Heck the original Mini sold for something like $1,750 thirty years ago. Keeping inflation in mind the Voyager is a better deal today!!