Vintage Analog Moog vs. New Analog Moog

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
analogmadness

Re: Vintage Analog Moog vs. New Analog Moog

Post by analogmadness » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:49 am

MC wrote: I have both the Minimoog D and Voyager because they both get sounds the other doesn't, and the Lintronics MIDI retrofit for the the Minimoog brings it into the 21st century.
Is that midi on the RA minimoog?

MC

Post by MC » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:44 am

analogmadness wrote:
MC wrote: I have both the Minimoog D and Voyager because they both get sounds the other doesn't, and the Lintronics MIDI retrofit for the the Minimoog brings it into the 21st century.
Is that midi on the RA minimoog?
Yes :mrgreen:
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

analogmadness

Post by analogmadness » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:02 pm

Nice, coold you fill in about the midi kit, is there more then say the doepfer mcv 4 midi>cv convertor.
I mean are there extra feature's then controlling the cv inputs ?
Been considering the lintronics midi for a while...
many thanx in advance

bhrama

Post by bhrama » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:42 am

latigid on wrote:Where there's a will there's a way. Look at the Rhodes Chroma: thirty years out of production and it has great support from a dedicated community.
Prophet 5 has a similar situation (and I'm not talking Wine Country :? )
P6, Tempest, Sub37

MC

Post by MC » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:53 pm

Standard MIDI>CV converters use the OSC CV rear panel input on the minimoog. There are two big disadvantages to this approach 1) the glide processor doesn't work on the rear panel CV input 2) you have to periodically press the low F key because the S&H cap for the keyboard circuit discharges slowly IE your tuning will drift.

The Lintronics gets around both these issues by tapping into strategic circuit points. Another bonus is the on-board LFO with all the features of the third VCO plus some neat additions (incl S&H), so you can use the 3rd VCO for audio. The LFO is configured over MIDI. You also get MIDI control of volume, filter cutoff, glide on/off, decay on/off, mod wheel, pitch wheel (with 3 or 6 semitone range), note velocity or aftertouch to volume/filter cutoff, aftertouch to mod wheel, mod wheel to filter cutoff/LFO rate/keyboard, low/high note priority, inverted scaling (high notes play low pitches), MIDI note range from #36 to #99.

And no new holes to drill on the front panel :) It's a very cool retrofit.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:37 pm

Another cool retrofit worth mentionning is our own Kevin Lightner's Opto Key system. For those who don't know it yet, this is a drop in replacement optical key contact system for Minimoog D, with no holes to drill or any modification to perform, other than removing the mechanical contacts and installing the small boards.

It hasn't got very extensive MIDI capabilities (in and out and simply note on/off), since it wasn't designed as a MIDI device, and was a last minute add on feature. But it can be used also as a MIDI to CV source for pitch and gate signals (although again it wasn't designed for such use, but it's there nonetheless).

Just thought I'd mention it, since I'm thoroughly satisfied with it. :mrgreen:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

analogmadness

Post by analogmadness » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanx MC and 666 for the info, gonna have to contact Rudi when i got the spare €..
For now the mcv4 wil have to do, but i do admit that the extra lfo is really appeling :D
Nice weekend guys