EHX pedal based analog sequencer

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EMwhite

Re: EHX pedal based analog sequencer

Post by EMwhite » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:19 pm

In that case, a Baby10 variant will serve you well. Has a built in clock or can be clocked from you square wave out of the VX-351 that way you mod wheel can be timed if you want that.

Voice of Saturn sells it in kit or ready-to-use form, or you can just buy it here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voice-of-Saturn ... 460c3a8c43 (currently $53).

I bought the kit, sans enclosure years ago but never built it. It's simple enough to assemble, the board is large, well marked etc. The whole thing is based on a 555 timer + 4017 decade counter IC + a simple buffer/stage output.

These pop up all the time on ebay. In some cases, somebody put it into a curly maple box and wants $400 for it. In other cases it's in an altoid tin (nearly). One thing to keep in mind is that unless you have a very good ear, you won't have any quantizing going on. All of the pots used are Alpha type (same as what is in your voyager likely) so no worries there.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:13 pm

The worst EHX Pedal demo of all time:

Well first off, the first few seconds of this video are the best of all time because Mike Matthews looks awesome in a beard! First I thought it was Lee Sklar and I thought "what the hell is he doing there".

Fast fwd to 4:10 for the 'demo' of the sequencer. Clearly the guy that was demo'ng AND the guy that was to do all of the talking have no idea why somebody would use such a device. Via HOG, he's got it mapped to non musical harmonics, aka mayhem as if S+H was mapped to generate arbitrary pitch.

There must be better demos out there... anybody got any?

http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/2013 ... Demos.aspx
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

turnstyle

Post by turnstyle » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:46 am

Best I've seen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bavMcSXyIu0&t=4m20s
(link should start at 4:20)

aen

Post by aen » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:44 pm

droner wrote:Probably a very dumb question, but...would something like this allow me to run a note sequence on my Voyager Old School? I've been looking for a sequencer for a while that isn't too expensive but don't know much about them. Thanks
Wait, if you left the gate open (via the handy dandy switch on the right half of the machine) and just ran the EHX sequencer into the pitch, you could sequence the pitches?

(I dont have my voyager OS yet... or an EHX sequencer... just spit-ballin)

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:15 pm

It certainly would but the envelopes wouldn't fire so it would be rather blah...

But what you could do if you have a Voyager is have the LFO sync'd to clock (and the sequencer running by clock), LFO running square wave patched into gate. I don't have a Voyager, just a poor Old School owner here.

Another option would be to just have the LFO run Gate according to it's own free running clock. It would be perfectly sync'd to the step but it would enable better timbres.

Shame the EHX doesn't have an analog voltage clock in.

droner

Post by droner » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:17 pm

so maybe the lfo square wave patched through a mult on the 351 to gate input on the voyager and the input on the ehx? this gives me some hope...

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:52 pm

The EHX pedal does not seem to have a Gate in to advance the clock; only works off Midi I think. So if Voyager can send Midi clock, I'm sure you'll be able to gate notes internally or via VX-351 back to ENV Gate in while sending clock to the EHX 8 step.

If Voyager doesn't send clock, I'm sure you can send it from your DAW or from a drum machine to both Voyager and 8-Step.

Again, poor Old School owner here, not completely familiar with the digital capabilities of the Voyager so the major assumption is that you can sync the internal LFO to Midi Clock. Little Phatty has menu options for clock divider which runs LFO or Arpeggiator but no way that I know of to take the clock and gate envelopes except according to ARP keys. Certainly, CV in can 'fight with' the note stack in the ARP sequence and certainly you can send the LFO destination on Phatty to Envelopes as you can Voyager but opening and closing the Filter cutoff according to a fixed shape of the LFO is very different from gating the envelope that might have a really nice Decay, etc.

(stating the obvious here)

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:57 am

An analog sequencer without a gate signal output is pretty useless... Gross oversight on the part of EHX IMHO. :?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:37 pm

Hmmm... I don't know: EHX claims it's a control sequencer for other effects more than an analogue sequencer in the synth tradition. Kind of an automated expression pedal.

I think it's consistant.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:40 pm

Perhaps. But would it have been so hard to add a $0.50 trigger output jack, don't you think ?... :roll:

They could have reached another market (analog synth enthusiasts), and raised the number of sales of the device accordingly, simply by offering trigger/gate out !

Marketing mistake, I guess.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:43 pm

If only it were that easy...

Stephen

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Vsyevolod wrote:If only it were that easy...
Stephen.
Actually, with today's digital programmable technology, it is... Because even though this is touted as an "analog" sequencer, it isn't really. It's a "virtual analog" sequencer using a programmable DSP (most probably an Analog Devices BlackFin processor, as in all of the other recent EHX effect pedals) to keep production costs way down. In which case, a couple of lines of additional code, along with an op amp buffer with an output jack, could probably do the trick for a gate/trigger out.

As seen here, inside another EHX pedal (Hog2 Foot Controller):

Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sun May 26, 2013 8:50 am

Mine arrives shortly.

For those lamenting about no analog clock in, you are in luck. The external CV in can be configured for several uses including sync to external analog clock.

I will mainly be using mine to control filter cutoff on my modded x0xb0x. I am sure it will also be pressed into action with my LP as well.

rove

Post by rove » Sun May 26, 2013 3:49 pm

Someone over at Muff's forum has figured out a gate out mod...
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... er&start=0

Looks relatively easy, if you are handy at soldering.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:45 am

Arrived yesterday.
Don't know if I'll need the gate out mod. Nice that it is relatively easy. Looks as if it existed at some point in the design.

The white plastic buttons feel cheap, don't think I'll use them much though. Stomp switches are very easy to finger push, no click! Sliders feel okay (as always more travel would have been nice). Push encoder feels very solid for a push encoder, time will tell (love the functionality, hate the inherent durability issues).

I was excited by all the midi CC control, but after a short session I do not know if it will be used as anything but an LFO. So much fun! Drawing wave-shapes on the fly and tweaking depth, rate, and glide. :D

I still need to test for zippering with very slow glided sequences. I expect to find it at some settings.