I know this is a Moog forum but...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
thealien666

I know this is a Moog forum but...

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:54 pm

Has anyone seen this yet ?

The P12 from DSI. And it's got wood sides ! :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... b_Ox7NXDkk
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

stiiiiiiive

Re: I know this is a Moog forum but...

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:04 pm

I have to watch the vid, yep.

By the way...

poly analogue...

...on chips...

...$3k...

...still wanting a Moog discrete one?...

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:05 pm

Ad copy mentions analog VCAs, filters, etc. but no analog oscillators.

Still, it sounds really good to me, even if the oscillators are digital.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:03 pm

I don't understand DSI. Why use DCO's? Why 4 oscillators per voice, why 12 voices? For duets? It doesn't make sense why they would make products that are not only inferior to the Sequential stuff but are not doing anything new or exciting (other than the Tempest, but I think that was more Linn's design). It's almost like they are stuck in the early 90's mindset. Some of their cheaper modules might make sense, but for full on expensive keyboard synth, why not go all out.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:06 pm

Yeah, I doubt there are 48 analog oscillators in this thing though...

And at $3K, I can only imagine how much a 12 voices polyphonic Moog synth would cost... :shock:

BTW, that's about the same price as the A6 from Alesis a few years back which had real analog osc and 16 voices, but only 2 per voice.

Sweewater advertises it at $3K, with 3 easy payments option. Yeah, 3 easy payments of more than $1K each ! Talk about easy... :lol:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:12 pm

"Easy" because you only have to write a number '1' and three zeros.

Anybody can do that!
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:12 pm

unfiltered37 wrote:It's almost like they are stuck in the early 90's mindset.
Not to pul a leg, and I do love Moog boards, but do you think Moog Music is less stuck in their tradition? If so, why?
thealien666 wrote:Sweewater advertises it at $3K, with 3 easy payments option. Yeah, 3 easy payments of more than $1K each ! Talk about easy... :lol:
That's what you'd say to your banker and wife to calm them down: "easy....easy..." :lol:

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:24 pm

We'll have to wait for more detailed specs, but it looks like DSI squeezed a lot more features into this synth than past DSI synths. The PolyEvolver Keyboard sells for about $2700 at 4 voice polyphony (hybrid analog DCO-digital synthesis). The Prophet 12, despite the name, sounds like it has more in common with the Evolver family - only $300 more for 8 more voices of polyphony and a laundry list of new functionality.

That said, the poly I lust after, above all, remains the Oberheim Son of Four Voice. :)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:50 pm

Watched it.

Yes, it's obviously more than a 12 voice Prophet 08. Reading the firs specs, I felt like it shared some features with the Evolver line.

That being, I remember having read DSI announced something really new in terms of architecture, etc. The synth is worth a trial but seems to stay on the paths the brand has walked on, doesn't it?

Well, just first impressions. Let's wait for some more :)

MC

Post by MC » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:26 pm

I heard at least two demo of the P12. The sound doesn't appeal to me. The DSI products never had a good enough filter for my taste, too anemic.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:05 pm

I think this looks and sounds pretty good. If Moog never makes a polysynth, people have other options. Looks like DSI is the man right now, very much capitalizing on the market a lot of folks don't want to get into.

I would buy it, but I can't justify the cost right now.

But if I did, the Son of Four Voice would still probably be my first consideration.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

ricknboogie

Post by ricknboogie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:21 pm

What a year this is turning out to be, so many new synthesizers. But 12 voices with 4 oscillators each seems a bargain at 3K, digital or not. It's another "hybrid" synth from DSI, but I thought it sounded pretty dern good.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:17 am

stiiiiiiive wrote: Not to pul a leg, and I do love Moog boards, but do you think Moog Music is less stuck in their tradition? If so, why?
:
Well the tradition is superior in the case of Moog, not just because of the products, but because of the times they were developed. Sequential capitalized on the need for polyphony, and developed products as such, and I think has been kind of tethered to the poly route. But nowadays, Moog's tradition still (and will always IMO) makes sense, but DSI's is outdated.

I do like their cheap modules, they are compact and flexible for the price, but for a flagship type synth, I think they could have made something solid along the lines of the prophet 5, limited voices but solid analog sound. This new one seems like a reboot of the '08, with more features, but worse sound. I think DSI might be trying to fill the market holes of Moog rather than developing parallel products that compete.

I do admire Dave Smith, and the Tempest is the coolest drum machine I have played.

~Sinedrifter~

Post by ~Sinedrifter~ » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:51 am

From all I've heard about the Tempest, maybe DSI should've finished developing/debugging it before making a P12.

I feel what Stiiiiiiiive is saying, though... Moog is stuck in mono and, in my opinion, could consider making something kind of like Oberheim's 2 voice (or maybe a 3-voice). I love my Moogs, but how about making something somewhat different???? The Sub Phatty just hasn't done it for me... maybe one day. Still, at least Moog makes a better effort to ensure their stuff works as advertised etc. before moving on to the next project. When I buy a Moog, I know I'm getting the best quality money can buy.

As for the P12, I was impressed at first. Let's see if those oscillators are DCOs or digital. If digital, I'd still prefer my red-headed Swedish beauty (Nord Lead 3)... even my sweet Swedish brunette (Elektron A4) sounds more interesting because of the interface and other features.

just daydreaming here, but imagine nearly all manufacturers go analog within a few years and lead people to think in 10 years "I wish they would make more digital stuff." :mrgreen: And too bad Waldorf's Stromburg was never completed...

Anyway, I hope it sells well! Good luck DSI

~Sinedrifter~

Post by ~Sinedrifter~ » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:20 am

Ok, so I watched Amos' video. Everything makes more sense when Amos says it, as opposed to reading spec sheets and marketing copy. I like the Sub Phatty now (still wouldn't buy it though).

Simply put, Amos Gaynes is the next Bob Moog. :mrgreen:
Last edited by ~Sinedrifter~ on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.