Sequencer?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
calaverasgrande

Sequencer?

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:50 pm

I wonder if Moog will ever come out with a CV sequencer.
While I am sure a lot of folks would love a re-issue of the old Moog modular sequencer, I'd love to see a more modern take on the gizmo.
Something that integrates an 8 or 16 step sequencer with some kind of patch storage, even if its only a handful of patches.
It would be awesome if they could use the MIDI Murf form factor to accomplish this. Patch it to your PC/MAC by midi to edit the step sequences, then change the programmed sequence that is "live" by spinning the dial.
Barring that pie in the sky wishful thinking.
What are all of yall using for such tasks?
I've been making do with a X0xb0x for the past couple of years. But now I want something more than a bassline and a drum beat.
Looking at the Urzwerg and the elusive urzwerg pro.
Also the Synthrotek kits look appetizing. Though my completion rate on kits is about 50/50 these days.
Taurus III, Digitone, Dark Energy, OB6, MG1, Grandmother, Blofeld

EricK

Re: Sequencer?

Post by EricK » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Yeah I'd like a midi synacble sequencer with loads of presets, but so many other companies make clones of the 960 theres really no point unless that was abandoned altogether.

Moon's sequencers are awesome.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:55 pm

I haven't had the chance to do much with it yet, but -

The Doepfer 'Dark Link" takes MIDI in and converts it to a programmable GATE plus (4) CV outputs.

Combined with one of the iPad MIDI sequencer apps might make for an interesting substitute for the "real thing"...
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:16 pm

Stuka wrote:I haven't had the chance to do much with it yet, but -
The Doepfer 'Dark Link" takes MIDI in and converts it to a programmable GATE plus (4) CV outputs.
Combined with one of the iPad MIDI sequencer apps might make for an interesting substitute for the "real thing"...
Yeah the Dark Link is basically the DarkTime minus the step sequencer bit.
To me the whole point of using hardware synths and CV is to avoid using computers.
I have a ton of computers to record and perform with. (I deal with computers all day at my job.)
That is what drew me to using analog synths and drum machines in the first place.
I like having a workflow that evolves around the gear instead of an application.
Not that there isn't a place for that kind of stuff, but to me at least, the appeal of using gear like this is that it is "obsolete" technology.
I like being able to say that my music isn't anything you couldn't have done in the 70's or 80's.
It's just that nobody got around to it!

I will admit that the DarkTime is attractive to me in that I already own a Dark Energy, and may buy a 2nd.
The Urzwerg and SynthroTek 16 are cheaper, but less flexible AFAIK.
I am kind of pining for a Moog sequencer because I already own a bunch of moogerfoogers and a few Moog Synths.
I want to keep it in the family!

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:52 pm

You might as well just get the dotcom q960. It is as close as you are going to get.

I have the q119 and it is a great sequencer. It is not a full-featured as the q960 or even the Moon 569 (some in the Modular community have abandoned the q960 for this sequencer), but it still does what is needed. The only drawback from keeping it all Moog is the lack of Envelopes and VCAs that keep the Fooger line from being a totally independent semi-modular synthesizer.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:33 pm

I too would love for Moog to make a sequencer - I like the ideas above of a modern design, perhaps with some presets. Although I'm not too keen on using a computer to program - I like my hardware as hands-on as possible.

Imagine a Slim Phatty enclosure with the same (but more) LED ring knobs, in a classic sequencer grid. You can save presets and it would also be handy to have an adjustable quantizer built-in.. 8)
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:38 pm

one thing I notice is left out of a lot of the contemporary CV step sequencers is "swing". Quantization is also a must have for those of us who like to hit notes and not just create clouds of abstract sounds. (though that is fun too).
But being able to add a bit of swing to it would make it more musical.
I think I may end up going for one of the big ticket European step sequencers.
But for now I may build up the Synthrotek on the cheap.
Though $250 is hardly pocket change.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:35 am

The Dotcom 960 and Moon offerings use an internal CPU as far as I know.
(correct me if wrong)

One of my favorite sequencers was in the Emu modular.
It could run forwards or backwards.
Another is the Sys700 sequencer where you can sequence audio from several different sources.

I had a Moon here for a while and it was nice, but it could glitch and create noise when a knob was set just between two quantized values.
Hopefully they've fixed that bug by now.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:57 am

I use a q119, Doepfer MAQ16/3, full STG time suite of modules and a Future Retro Revolution. The q960 has all the issues of the Moog and needs a raft of support modules to be utile. Moon and Grove are both making or planning sequencers now.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:48 pm

Kevin Lightner wrote:The Dotcom 960 and Moon offerings use an internal CPU as far as I know.
(correct me if wrong)
No experience with any Moon product, but the Dotcom 960 uses 74HC logic chips. There are a few 74HCT14, 74HC32, and 74HC74 chips inside. So no digital CPU on the Q960 or Q962. But probably quite a few "Analog Sequencers" out there that are really CPU controlled.
Still a fan of the old 1969 Moog Sequencer Compliment. With that combination of a pair of 960, and 962's, there was an almost limitless way of patching them together. The only limit was your imagination and having enough patch cords. Having three is even more fun!

Not sure the new Moog would ever want to enter back into this field though. Would have to be a Moogerfooger product, so it's possible.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:28 pm

Thanks for the info, CZ.
I guess Roger really did "copy" it.
Not hard to find later TTL and CMOS chips to sub for those early DTL and RTL chips.
Glad to be mistaken. :)
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:18 pm

Roger did a nice job with the Q960 and Q962. They even use the Switchcraft 112 type jacks to keep with the original Moog feel. All the other Dotcom modules use the open frame type of switchcraft jacks. Only noticable difference with the jacks are the missing large serrated washers Moog used. The threaded sleeve shows a bit more without the lock washer behind the panel.
I had lent that Dotcom sequencer compliment to Mark Shreeve of Red Shift fame for about a week. Mark is quite familiar with the original 960, and thought the Dotcom 960/962 was spot on. For the price, the Dotcom sequencer is quite a bargain.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:09 pm

I may end up building one of the kits while I save up for a bigger beasty.
Speaking of, it is kind of a snipe hunt trying to track down a good CV sequencer. It seems like every few years there is a renewed demand for them, then a few products materialize to suit the demand, but the more elaborate ones are plagued with issues.
I can totally see the utility of an entirely manual CV sequencer, but as a performing musician I would much rather something like the MFB and ?Doepfer boxes that store your songs for recall later.

The dotcom and (other modular) units are intruiging, but I have yet to even purchase a modular rack. For a box that is basically sheet metal and a power supply I can't help but balk at the prices! (also how I feel about 500 series racks!)
Though this may be the year I acquire one of each, a modular eurorack format and 500 series rack box.

I'm also kind of curious in resurrecting some of the older designs, IIRC Forest Mims or Robert Traister had a simple voltage sequencer schemo. I think it was intended to simply drive a row of LEDs as some gee whiz project, but I had heard of folks adapting it for our kind of uses.

kidgloves2

Post by kidgloves2 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:46 pm

I'd like a Q960 with preset capabilities like the Sub Phatty. No menus, just buttons on the front panel. 4 banks of 8 though, like the roland sh-201.