Pink Floyd Cover (Keyboards)

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
dmonte

Pink Floyd Cover (Keyboards)

Post by dmonte » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:46 pm

Hey Folks,
I recently started playing Keyboards for a Pink Floyd Cover band. I'm a classically trained pianist and fairly new to all this electronic wizardry but a big Floyd fan. I want to bring this group an authentic sound. On a very limited budget, how would you recommend I get started, which toys would be essential to cover the most ground, and which toys would be best to save for in the future.

Portamental

Re: Pink Floyd Cover (Keyboards)

Post by Portamental » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:38 pm

Welcome to the group...

Well I would say..... :

E2 G2 A2 G2 D3 C3 D3 E3, set at 166 bmp, Turns slowly the cut-off knob, add some noise in the mix, resonance too... repeat, but not necessarily in the same order, actually, turn any knob you want except for Volume, which you must keep all the way up :mrgreen:

Oh, equipment you say?

Hard to say, depends on your budget... You will get a number of suggestions no doubt.... In the affordable price range, I think a lil Phatty (keyboard), with the CV out option and a CP-251... that's a good start. For less money, you probably have a MIDI keyboard already. With a slim Phatty, under 1K, you can crack a lot of eggs and heads 8)

filtered

Post by filtered » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:16 am

welcome!

other than the needed Moog, do you have a Rhodes, Wurly, Hammond, Mellotron, or a digital equivalent?

I'd say, get a Nord Electro 3 and a Voyager or LPhatty

ricknboogie

Post by ricknboogie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:52 pm

What keyboard gear do you have now? Rick Wright had a small arsenal of keyboards, so depending on what you've got already, who knows what you may be lacking. I assume a synthesizer, since you're at the Moog site. A Little Phatty is a wonderful thing, and easy enough for a beginner to learn from, but certainly wouldn't cover EVERY base. List your gear, and your budget.

Rob Smith

Post by Rob Smith » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:33 pm

My friend, Neil Alexander, was the keyboard player for the Pink Floyd Tribute Band called the Machine. His final rig, when he left the band were two Kurzweil PC88 controllers and a Korg MS2000 analog modeling synth. All controlled by a Lake Butler Midi Midigator. During Neil's years with the band, he used a lot of vintage Moog equipment, but got tired of the rigors of repairs and changing sounds on the fly. Basically, you need to have a very good emulation of an Arp String Synth (Solina), a very good Fender Rhodes sound, Hammond and of course, Mini Moog and Prophet V sounds. For all the sounds that were controlled by the PC 88's, he used a Roland XV5080 rack unit. All the Moog leads were done on a Korg MS2000, along with a lot of the sound effects. Believe it or not, the Korg MS2000 is a very good modeling synth and does the Pink Floyd stuff quite well. The new keyboard player in the Machine uses a Moog Voyager Select, Fender Rhodes piano. I believe a Hammond XK3 organ and a Yamaha Motif. Money will definitely dictate your choices. Modern day Floyd and the Roger waters live shows use loaded Kurzweil keyboards. I'm not sure what model they are using at this point............ Rick Wright played alot of dual leads that required two mini moogs, most notably, Have a Cigar on Wish You Were Here. The Korg MS2000 works quite well because you can split the keyboard and play both leads on it. It also has built in effects. You can probably pick one of these up on ebay for $600. If you can afford the Voyager, buy it. Most Floyd leads need 44 keys. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. Here is video of Scott the new keyboard player using a ms2000 live. http://www.themachinelive.com/media/?video=56 Oh yea Neil Alexander played at Moogfest in 2007 with his band and Herb Deutsch.He's a great keyboard player! :wink:

Jay944

Post by Jay944 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:04 pm

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by Jay944 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmonte

Post by dmonte » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:24 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the great and very informed comments. Here's another question:
Has anyone ever used an IPAD as a sound engine? Using, perhaps Garage band, to run additional sounds, layering sounds, from a workstation keyboard.