prototype

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
eXode

Re: prototype

Post by eXode » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:48 am

New image up at moogmusic and FB. More info will be presented at 11:00 EST.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:35 am

And two more from this website.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:39 am

Some details (some of which are known yet):
The Sub Phatty has the soul and hands on control of a vintage Moog synthesizer in a completely new, aggressive sound design machine. It has 25 keys, 31 knobs, and 13 switches that connect you directly to the analog heart of this powerful instrument.

Its oscillators have been designed to perform with unmatched clarity, and accuracy in any environment with no warm-up time necessary. They are fat, punchy and loaded with harmonic content.

A new Multidrive circuit in the filter section totally transforms the sound of this analog synthesizer into a screaming beast. Create gritty attack, asymmetrical distortion, and saturated hard-clipping sounds that tear through the densest mix.

The mixer section houses a powerful square wave sub oscillator designed to add depth, thickness, and side splitting bass to any sound. In addition to this, a specially voiced noise generator has been incorporated for sculpting hard hitting, all analog percussion sounds and other sound effects.

The Sub Phatty joins the Moog arsenal with a new and boldly unique voice. Its engaging and dynamic interface fuses a connection between man & machine that opens the door to unprecedented sonic exploration.

Specs:

• Sound Engine: Analog
• Number of Keys: 25
• Type of Keys: Semi Weighted
• Other Controllers: Pitch Bend, Mod Wheel
• Polyphony: Monophonic
• Sound Sources: 2 Variable Waveshape Oscillators, 1 Square Wave Sub Oscillator, 1 Noise Generator
• Mod Sources: Triangle, Square, Saw, Ramp, SH, Filter Envelope
• Mod Destinations: Pitch, Osc 2 Pitch Only, Filter, Waveshape
• Filter: Moog Ladder Filter 20Hz-20Khz
• Audio Input: 1xTS
• Audio Output: 1xTS, 1xTRS Headphone
• Presets: 4 Banks, 4 Patches Per Bank
• MIDI I/O: DIN In, Out, and MIDI over USB
• CV/Gate Inputs: Filter CV, Pitch CV, Volume CV, KB Gate
• Transposition: +/- 2 Octaves
• LFO: 0.1Hz-100Hz

Height 6.75"
Width 20.25"
Depth 14.75"
Weight Weight Weight 16 lbs.
Power 110-220

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:29 am

eXode wrote:New image up at moogmusic and FB. More info will be presented at 11:00 EST.

They've also revealed that Sub Phatty was just a code name. The real synth will be called...

PhatBook Pro
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:51 am

:lol:

Here is another pic, while the first commercial demo video is loading ;)

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:13 pm

[begin rant]

Awful sounding demo. Frankly.

It's much more a distorted drum machine demo than a Sub Phatty demo.
How may tracks of Sub Phatty to produce chords like these ?

I'm sorry but, a 2 octaves-only keyboard, with only 2 oscillators, monophonic, with plain old regular low pass filter, 2 envelopes, and a single LFO synth doesn't cut it for me in 2013.
And priced higher than some competitors ? Oh yeah, its got white noise too ! Big deal. It's an analog synth that doesn't even include an A440 reference for tuning. That demo with Herb ? The prototype was off-key by more than a full semitone, but he had no way of knowing that !

That is not a serious musical instrument from Moog. It's closer to a noise box than a real musical instrument for players. Much like the new mini MS20 from Korg announced today.

When will these companies offer us a REAL polyphonic analog keyboard synth ?? Never it seems...

I'd better keep looking out for some vintage Jupiter 8, or OBX, or Memorymoog in good shape I guess.

[end rant]
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Vo1t

Post by Vo1t » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:09 pm

I Love it! The oscillators seem to have more harmonic content than the original Phatty. I like the fact that they built in the headphone output to external input trick, a more optimized and musically useful version of it. Adding a sub oscillator to a already ballsy synth is insane, and noise is something that should have been there in the first place.

Thank the Moog gods for having the entire note range this time, not just bass notes. Having a Moog that sounds this good without having to buy a vintage MiniMoog is exciting to me.

Those of you who aren't impressed, remember this is 1 of 24 of new instruments that are being handcrafted at the Moog Factory. They might be a synth coming that provides all the features your looking for.

~Sinedrifter~

Post by ~Sinedrifter~ » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:22 pm

Woah, $1100 for this? Vs. Around 1500 for a decked out LP? I imagined 999 tops! Oh Moog say it ain't so! Mmmhh! :roll:

I'll pass on the sub phatty. And I'm with u alien... wtf on a real poly! #notimpressedwithmoogrightnow

Moog kinda let me down. Anywayz, good luck to them.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:39 pm

I thought the demo was awesome. Due to the price however, I'll probably end up getting a Slim instead.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:15 pm

Street price: $999
~Sinedrifter~ wrote:Woah, $1100 for this? Vs. Around 1500 for a decked out LP? I imagined 999 tops!
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

mico

Post by mico » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:50 pm

So it appears the 'Sub' in the name is actually meant to stand for the fact that the synthesizer using subtractive synthesis. Confusing, however, considering all Moog hardware synthesizers use subtractive synthesis. I wonder if this is indicative that a future hardware synth release may (somehow) use a different mode of synthesis (i.e. additive)?

::shrugs shoulders::
Moog Sub 37 (#0133), Ibanez M80M, & Doomy Bow
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty

eXode

Post by eXode » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:59 pm

mico wrote:So it appears the 'Sub' in the name is actually meant to stand for the fact that the synthesizer using subtractive synthesis. Confusing, however, considering all Moog hardware synthesizers use subtractive synthesis. I wonder if this is indicative that a future hardware synth release may (somehow) use a different mode of synthesis (i.e. additive)?

Erm, no. I'd say the "Sub" is for the sub octave generator this synth has (that the Slim/Little Phatty lacks).

mico

Post by mico » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:11 pm

eXode wrote:
mico wrote:So it appears the 'Sub' in the name is actually meant to stand for the fact that the synthesizer using subtractive synthesis. Confusing, however, considering all Moog hardware synthesizers use subtractive synthesis. I wonder if this is indicative that a future hardware synth release may (somehow) use a different mode of synthesis (i.e. additive)?

Erm, no. I'd say the "Sub" is for the sub octave generator this synth has (that the Slim/Little Phatty lacks).
Yeah, that was my original thought as well until I noticed they made sure to note it was a subtractive synthesizer on the faceplate. Perhaps 'sub' has dual-purpose, but I don't recall them noting this on any of their modern hardware releases.
Moog Sub 37 (#0133), Ibanez M80M, & Doomy Bow
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:15 pm

According to that site Stiiiiiiiive linked to, it's $999.

Moog always lists the prices on their site high.

Id actually prefer this over a phatty just due to the knob-per-function interface, but the keyboard is just too small. The rear extrusion looks great with the logo.

I imagine the guy in the demo was pretty cold?

I wish they would give us all of these features in one synth instead of having the Voyager which is badass, and the Phatty with it's overdriven filter and arpeggiator, and then this with the Multi-drive.....why not just pull out the kryptonite and consolidate these into one unit?

This is a wonderful time to be dabbling in analog synthesis though.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.