prototype

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Mr Shave

Re: prototype

Post by Mr Shave » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:20 pm

As far as I know, only the circuit boards are produced in China (as are the circuit boards for just about every other electronic device made now adays) and the unit is assembled in Asheville.

On the subject of Chinese produced electronics... they are extremely good quality these days. Look at Apple. Everything they do is made in China. There are plenty of articles about why China makes everything, and doing it so well these days and America can't compete with that. Good reads, and interesting. Basically it boils down to Americans wanting a higher quality of living and not wanting to work 80 hour weeks soldering the same thing over and over...

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:39 pm

muksys wrote:The Moob FB cover photo reveals "Sub-Phatty". Basically, a sup'ed up Minitaur with a keyboard. Pass.

I certainly hope that this won't be the products final name ? Sub Phatty ? Really ? Doesn't sound good... It suggests an inferior product (which it will certainly not be)... Not really good, as marketing strategy...

BTW, ~Sinedrifter~, today's electronics are almost entirely made in China. Even expensive electronic devices. But quality levels are now on par with US made products. The main boards inside the Little Phatty, the Slim Phatty, the Minitaur, and possibly this new "Sub Phatty" are all made in China, but assembled (installed in casings) in Asheville. All of the internal, or external, PSU from Moog are switching types made in China.

The days of "made in China" meaning sub standard products are over.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:07 pm

Why are people obsessed about names? If it sounds good, they could call it the superior assblaster for all I care. However I really wish they had named the mf108 the "flux capacitator". I would have bought that just for the name.

MC

Post by MC » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:19 am

thealien666 wrote:
muksys wrote:The days of "made in China" meaning sub standard products are over.
Unfortunately I am still finding the occasional substandard chinese product out there.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

timmy

Post by timmy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:08 am

thealien666 wrote:The days of "made in China" meaning sub standard products are over.
nah, i think you've become so used to sub standard that you've accepted it.
Last edited by timmy on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go analog: Moog Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Tom Oberheim
Go plastic: Roland, Yamaha, Korg

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:09 am

muksys wrote:The Moob FB cover photo reveals "Sub-Phatty". Basically, a sup'ed up Minitaur with a keyboard. Pass.
I think as its phatty it will have the extended octave range of the phatty and NOT be based on the Minitaur. Its just a phatty with a short keyboard, sub osc, multidrive, noise source and maybe some preset storage via the editor like the Minitaur. If it was the Taurus architecture it would have 'taur' in the name as there's a distinct branding for the different sound 'engines' in Moog's range.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

red

Post by red » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:07 am

... a cute synth with an ugly name !
::red

muksys

Post by muksys » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:20 am

timmy wrote:
muksys wrote:The days of "made in China" meaning sub standard products are over.

hmm, I have been misquoted.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:49 pm

MC wrote:
thealien666 wrote:
Unfortunately I am still finding the occasional substandard chinese product out there.
I am talking about electronics in general, not scissors or can openers... Discount stores are still full of cheap Chinese knock-offs that break as soon as you come out of the store ! :lol:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

synthaxe

Post by synthaxe » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:09 pm

MC wrote:
thealien666 wrote:
Me too.
Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur, MF-105, MF-103, MF-102, MF-101, Mesa/Boogie Mark IV, EVH 5150III 50 Watt, EVM12L Speakers, ESP Eclipse-II FR, USA Charvel So-Cal, Squier Vintage Modified Surf Stratocaster, Alesis MidiVerb 4, and tons of Electro Harmonix.

timmy

Post by timmy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:15 pm

muksys wrote:
timmy wrote:

hmm, I have been misquoted.

fixed above. sorry. i removed the wrong set of quotes.
Go analog: Moog Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Tom Oberheim
Go plastic: Roland, Yamaha, Korg

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:24 pm

Minibrute is made in China and it's built like a tank. That being said, I'd rather have something that was at least assembled in the US. As a US citizen myself, I understand the importance of supporting US jobs and labor. That's the one major reason I'd rather have a Moog Sub Phatty rather than a Minibrute.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:28 pm

Thats right China is not for Synths. China is for hand painted children toys. :D

synthaxe

Post by synthaxe » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:34 pm

From a reliable source....price will infact be $999 and the name is Sub Phatty. It's an addition to the Phatty family, and there has been no word of the LP or SP being discontinued. Firmware updates will be available for it, but I don't believe it will have an operating system (yay!!!...for me at least as I'm of the opinion that a Moog shouldn't have to "boot up".)
Last edited by synthaxe on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur, MF-105, MF-103, MF-102, MF-101, Mesa/Boogie Mark IV, EVH 5150III 50 Watt, EVM12L Speakers, ESP Eclipse-II FR, USA Charvel So-Cal, Squier Vintage Modified Surf Stratocaster, Alesis MidiVerb 4, and tons of Electro Harmonix.

moognase

Post by moognase » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:13 pm

Is there any word on the range? Will it be a bass Instrument or cover higher notes also?