prototype

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Kenneth

Re: prototype

Post by Kenneth » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:33 pm

Well, I sold my Minibrute. Time to preorder one of these.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:11 pm

Wicked! ~ Me, too. Exciting times! :D
Kenneth wrote:Well, I sold my Minibrute. Time to preorder one of these.
i didn't actually have a MiniBrute but I would sell TWO of them for one of these :mrgreen:
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:43 am

misterpete wrote:Wicked! ~ Me, too. Exciting times! :D
i didn't actually have a MiniBrute but I would sell TWO of them for one of these :mrgreen:
I like the Minibrute's attitude, but I don't think the two of us were meant to be together. I always had a hard time coming up with a patch that I liked the sound of. She has a distict "metallic" flavor, while my Voyager has a very "wooden" one. I much prefer wood to metal.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

filtered

Post by filtered » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:40 pm

I like the Minibrute's attitude, but I don't think the two of us were meant to be together. I always had a hard time coming up with a patch that I liked the sound of. She has a distict "metallic" flavor, while my Voyager has a very "wooden" one. I much prefer wood to metal
10 4- The sawtooth is good, plain with no "ultrasaw", but that's pretty much the only sound I use when playing live, which is increasingly rare, because I can't get it to sit on top of the mix without being too harsh- the Old School's ALWAYS on top, as was my LP, my Rogue, and my Prodigy- Something about the Moog Oscs I guess! But the Minibrute arpeggiator is useful, when midied, and the noise source is nice! Depending on the new Moog's price, I may sell my Minibrute as well...

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:49 pm

Having tried and heard for myself the Brute, I agree with what has been said so far. It does have some strong points, arpeggiator and all, but the sound always seemed to struggle somewhat to rise up in the mix without becoming "buzzy".

What could possibly be the final blow, might be the Sub Phatty's two oscillators, one with an added sub. If those oscillators are faithful to the "Moog" sound, it could trigger a sudden rise in second hand Brutes being available on the aftermarket, with owners getting rid of one to get a Sub Phatty instead...

And wait, we still don't know the official price of this thing yet... If it is, as speculated, about twice the price of a Brute, the incentive to get rid of one to pay for at least half of a Sub Phatty might precipitate the effect on the used market !

Although I'm not sure about the European market ? Some of them are still awaiting delivery of their long ordered Minibrute... I'm not convinced they'd be willing to part with it that quickly ? Moreover, a well known frenchman in the world of modulars (Yves Usson) designed the synth, so there might also be a question of national pride involved ?

My two cents on it...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

eXode

Post by eXode » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:01 pm

thealien666 wrote:Although I'm not sure about the European market ? Some of them are still awaiting delivery of their long ordered Minibrute... I'm not convinced they'd be willing to part with it that quickly ? Moreover, a well known frenchman in the world of modulars (Yves Usson) designed the synth, so there might also be a question of national pride involved ?

My two cents on it...
Luckily, the European market includes countries other than France... ;)

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:05 pm

eXode wrote: Luckily, the European market includes countries other than France... ;)
Of course ! Far from me the idea to say that France is the only country in Europe... :roll:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:16 pm

Yves Yusson, from Yusynth indeed.

If French pride there is, I would say it's regarding to Arturia, which is much more reknown than Yves here.

bhrama

Post by bhrama » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:37 pm

Pretty juiced over this new puppy, but I am worried it will have too much over lap with my Voyager. I'm not a collector and streamline my gear to 2-4 pieces.
P6, Tempest, Sub37

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:56 pm

It might end-up being discarded as with many of your other synths, too... Whatever happened to your Alesis Ion, Kenneth, I don't see it in your gear list ?

You could maybe wait to try it before buying it ? I'm afraid you might be suffering from GAS...and I'm not talking about bodily functions... :lol:

Just kidding. You're perfectly free to do whatever you like. I'm just teasing. Besides, aren't we synth lovers all suffering, to some extent or another, from GAS when a new model comes out ? :mrgreen:
Last edited by thealien666 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:58 pm

My friend's Minibrute sounded great when I heard him play it at a show. Totally different sonic signature compared to Moog synths.

It does have CV outs, while the new Sub Phatty does not. Significant omission, imo, and hopefully will be addressed in a future mod to be offered by Moog.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:23 pm

It is simple. MOOG is adding more MOOG to the Palette. A NEW filter? Forgeddabout it. SOLD.
I haven't regretted a single MOOG so far ~ in fact, I like every single one of them even more the better I get to know them. Do I need to tell you my "Saved by Technology" story aaaaagain? :lol:
thealien666 wrote:aren't we synth lovers all suffering, to some extent or another, of GAS when a new model comes out ? :mrgreen:
:!:
GovernorSilver wrote:My friend's Minibrute ...does have CV outs, while the new Sub Phatty does not. Significant omission, imo, and hopefully will be addressed in a future mod to be offered by Moog.
In the words of the great Gary Coleman: "What you talking about, Willis?" — Where are you getting your info that the SUB has no CV?
Please Call Me, PETE

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:37 pm

To misterpete:

Just in case you didn't know: GAS, also known as Gear Acquisition Syndrome...

Come to think of it, in this case it could be named NGAS. :wink:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:15 pm

misterpete,

Here is my info source about CV inputs only, no CV outs:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/8633242-post507.html

Specs

Sound Engine: Analog

Number of Keys: 25

Type of Keys: Semi Weighted

Other Controllers: Pitch Bend, Mod Wheel

Polyphony: Monophonic

Sound Sources: 2 Variable Waveshape Oscillators, 1 Square Wave Sub Oscillator, 1 Noise Generator

Mod Sources: Triangle, Square, Saw, Ramp, SH, Filter Envelope

Mod Destinations: Pitch, Osc 2 Pitch Only, Filter, Waveshape

Filter: Moog Ladder Filter 20Hz-20Khz

Audio Input: 1xTS

Audio Output: 1xTS, 1xTRS Headphone

Presets: 4 Banks, 4 Patches Per Bank

MIDI I/O: DIN In, Out, and MIDI over USB

CV/Gate Inputs: Filter CV, Pitch CV, Volume CV, KB Gate

Transposition: +/- 2 Octaves

LFO: 0.1Hz-100Hz

Height

6.75"

Width

20.25"

Depth

14.75"

Weight

Weight

Weight

16 lbs.

Power

110-220

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:08 pm

there you go, Guv! Just as I expected :D ~ exactly the same as on the Minitaur ~ Have you seen it?
The Minitaurs REV2 CV mapping allows you to access everything~ I'm predicting we'll be enjoying that same functionality with the whole Phatty line, before too long.
GovernorSilver wrote: CV/Gate Inputs: Filter CV, Pitch CV, Volume CV, KB Gate
Please Call Me, PETE