prototype

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
red

Re: prototype

Post by red » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:35 am

Get yourself a MIDIPal ...
That's exactly what I did, yesterday :mrgreen:
::red

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:05 pm

thealien666 wrote:
Portamental wrote: Results : 1.0026 volts per octave, which is entirely satisfactory to me.
Consider yourself lucky. Back when I had my OS, it was almost .4 volts off. And my best friend's OS is also quite off the mark... I guess not every Voyager is made equal as far as pitch CV goes...? BTW, both were bought brand new.

Last week, I brought my voyager XL to Switched On to see how well different oscilators tracked from the pitch CV out. The Pittsburgh modular Oscs and the Wiard Oscs track beautifully, and they are 1V/octave. I just got off the phone with Perry at moog, and he said that the XL (and the VX 351) were calibrated to 1V/octave, and the .93 thing has to do with the CV outs in at the top of standard voyagers. Not sure if this is consistent with what people are finding on their synths, but I definitely had an easy time getting those eurorack modules to track for several octaves just fine! Just thought I'd share my findings on this. . .
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:07 pm

tommyecho wrote:Last week, I brought my voyager XL to Switched On to see how well different oscilators tracked from the pitch CV out.
Just thought I'd share my findings on this. . .
Your input is certainly welcome.

One difference with the Voyager vs the OS is that the OS has pitch CV and gate out built in on the main panel, making the VX-351 less of a necessity. Actually, I mapped the output port of the OS and the output CV is fine from what I remember. I have no tracking problems with external sequencers, so all is fine for me at least.

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Portamental wrote:
tommyecho wrote:Last week, I brought my voyager XL to Switched On to see how well different oscilators tracked from the pitch CV out.
Just thought I'd share my findings on this. . .
Your input is certainly welcome.

One difference with the Voyager vs the OS is that the OS has pitch CV and gate out built in on the main panel, making the VX-351 less of a necessity. Actually, I mapped the output port of the OS and the output CV is fine from what I remember. I have no tracking problems with external sequencers, so all is fine for me at least.
Actually, Perry was specifically talking about voyagers with a touch screen (he mentioned the electric blue), so, yeah, this info doesn't necessarily apply to the OS.
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Sub Phatty is now listed in Moog's "products" roster. No info yet, but they posted a new front-panel photo which reveals the Sub Phatty will have patch storage accessible via the front panel. That's pretty unexpected, and cool. Also shows that the unit will have MIDI capability. Also unexpected and cool.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:29 pm

Ah, I was hoping for something more Old School (no presets). Maybe a future product.

red

Post by red » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:32 pm

this one...!

::red

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:38 pm

Do those look like CP sized pots?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:19 pm

EricK wrote:Do those look like CP sized pots?
Looks like it to me. Definitely a lesser diameter than the ones on the Little/Slim Phatties
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:37 am

Patch selectors are cute :)

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:10 am

GovernorSilver wrote:Ah, I was hoping for something more Old School (no presets). Maybe a future product.
Don't expect too much pure OS products anymore. The Voyayer OS, I think, was the last for a long time to come. In the world of MIDI, cheaper japanese electronics (with polyphony), rack modules, VST's and DAW's, a $2500+ plus monosynth without even MIDI is a tough sell.

Marketing wise, Moog has found the right strategy with the latest MIDI foogers and then the Minitaur and now the sub Phatty.

-Almost OS, lots of knobs, some CV's whenever possible at low production cost.
-Diminutive or no keyboard (cv inputs or Midi driven instead)
-No compromise on analog, or the Moog sound (especially the filter of course).
-No need for a LCD screen and menus, but with the internal CPU and sysx, you can add whatever you want later on : arpegiator, tap tempo stuff, even patch storage (Minitaur now has patches)
-And last but not least, a less than 1K price tag.

The market is too large, too many products to choose from, their strategy is the only one that may end up putting more real Moogs into people's hands, instead of Mophos and Minibrutes. And there resides the long term survival and profitability of the company.

Not a too bad strategy I think. Expect more of the same.

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:20 am

Well, subphatty looks great!
14 presets is just enough. I like the metal kind of front panel. And the big filter knob.

One thing I want to say:

Moog is Great, or I should say the Greatest!
But sometimes I wish I could get a different sound than Moog.
So I ordered the Minibrute. Steiner Parker Filter! I need HP and BP badly! And the VCO is excellent!
It sounds great to me. And I think she will find her place with my SP, Juno 106, Polysix and Prodigy.
I want that different colors. I want to get MS-20 and CS-10 sounds also. It is just different.

And yes! CV outs are great. I almost ordered FreqBox just for Minibrute! And there are just Pitch And Gate, no VCF and VCA.
It is great idea, what you need is just a VCO or two in a eurorack box (doepfer has mini one and is cheep).

I don't see a reason, why I should not buy Minibrute and save for SubPhatty. I'm more than happy with my Slim.
Why I love Moog so much are the Foogers! I'm a guitar player in first place, and there is no such thing as Foogers.
Gear:Slim Phatty, Arturia Minibrute, Casio MT-600, MF-101,MF-102,MF104Z,MP-201,CP-251,Ibanez John Scofield, PRS custom 24, circuit bent Kawai R-100,Circuit Bent Roland TR-505, Boss Dr55, Akai MPK 25, Ensoniq DP/4, RME Fireface 800, tons of guitar effects.

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:31 am

EMwhite wrote:Image
aha, you found one !!! :D
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:42 am

I am also tired of Moog Low Pass Filters (I have 4 or 5 depending on if you count the Voyager as 2 or not). When I went modular, I had to choose the walnut cabinet or the Slate Variable filter and I went with the filter because it was worth more musically. I am very glad that I did. I love having a multimode filter with lots of CV inputs. The dotcom (one osc) sounds just as good if not better than the Voyager (one osc). I'm not trying to bash Moog in favor of dotcom here, but if I ever got another Moog LPF it would have to be in the chassis of a Model D.

Strangely enough I still find myself using the dotcom filter's low pass filter. I love the Moog filter but I do think that it is lame that when opened all the way it loses the bass. Other than that, I have no problems with the Moog filter...I just have enough of them to the point where I would benefit from more variety.

I really like the sound of the Harvestman Polivoks.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:40 pm

tommyecho wrote: Last week, I brought my voyager XL to Switched On to see how well different oscilators tracked from the pitch CV out. The Pittsburgh modular Oscs and the Wiard Oscs track beautifully, and they are 1V/octave. I just got off the phone with Perry at moog, and he said that the XL (and the VX 351) were calibrated to 1V/octave, and the .93 thing has to do with the CV outs in at the top of standard voyagers. Not sure if this is consistent with what people are finding on their synths, but I definitely had an easy time getting those eurorack modules to track for several octaves just fine! Just thought I'd share my findings on this. . .
I think here you meant to say:
CV inputs at the top of standard voyagers
If so, that would be consistent with MC's post on the Voyager forum: 0.93V/octave at the CV input, 1.0V/octave at the CV output