prototype

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Kenneth

Re: prototype

Post by Kenneth » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:12 pm

thealien666 wrote:
Kenneth wrote:Well, I sold my Minibrute. Time to preorder one of these.
It might end-up being discarded as with many of your other synths, too... Whatever happened to your Alesis Ion, Kenneth, I don't see it in your gear list ?

You could maybe wait to try it before buying it ? I'm afraid you might be suffering from GAS...and I'm not talking about bodily functions... :lol:

Just kidding. You're perfectly free to do whatever like. I'm just teasing. Besides, aren't we synth lovers all suffering, to some extent or another, of GAS when a new model comes out ? :mrgreen:
You caught me red-handed! I do indeed buy and sell a lot of gear. I find that owning something is a far better way to get to know an instrument than trying it in a store, especially if there are no stores around that have the instrument in question. I have always managed to make back what I paid for my instruments, so I dot have a problem with doing it this way. I sold my Ion about a month and a half ago, as I felt I needed something with a simpler interface. The DW has done well for me in that respect. As for GAS... Well, yes I probably could be diagnosed with this.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:16 pm

Right, the CV functionality looks pretty good in the Sub Phatty - and it does have CV inputs.

But there is no CV output as reported (rumored, lol) to date. By comparison, the Minibrute has 4 CV outputs (pitch, gate, filter, amp).

When Jordan Rudess did his excellent instructional video series featuring the Little Phatty, there was no CV output on his Phatty, so he just used the CV inputs in conjunction with a CP-251.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:23 pm

This is what I'm talking about, Guv: http://www.moogmusic.com/sight-and-soun ... taur-rev-2

~

Gas OUI, Alain - but I don't know about the 'N'-Gas though, qu'est-ce que c'est ça?
I'm sure EVERYBODY will remember what the great Tammy Faye Bakker had to say:
"MOOG DON"T MAKE NO JUNK"
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:43 pm

misterpete wrote:This is what I'm talking about, Guv: http://www.moogmusic.com/sight-and-soun ... taur-rev-2

~

Gas OUI, Alain - but I don't know about the 'N'-Gas though, qu'est-ce que c'est ça?
I'm sure EVERYBODY will remember what the great Tammy Faye Bakker had to say:
"MOOG DON"T MAKE NO JUNK"

New Gear Acquisition Syndrome... Ou SADTCQEN en français; Syndrome d'Achat De Tout Ce Qui Est Nouveau ! Hahaha! Mais c'est pas mal plus difficile à prononcer ! :roll:

BTW, did Tammy Faye really say that ?! :lol:

(I know she said: "Buying a synth is cheaper than a psychiatrist."
And also: "As long as I've got my Moog, I guess I'll be all right.") :wink:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:58 pm

Like I said, mr pete, that's great, but where's the CV outputs?

My friend for example can plug his the CV output of his Minibrute into the CV input of his modular and drive the modular from the Minibrute keyboard. One reason so many people got excited about the Minibrute was it could give them a keyboard controller for their modulars at a low price, and also provide extra oscillator, extra filter, etc.

No evidence yet that one can connect the CV output of a Sub Phatty to the CV input of an external device. For example, send CV gate output to a Moogerfooger CV input.
Last edited by GovernorSilver on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Another important concern, already mentioned I believe, is that; will the Pitch CV input (if there is one) be of the standard 1.00 volt/oct, or some screwed up value like on all the Voyagers ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

ricknboogie

Post by ricknboogie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:47 pm

Though I do have more than a casual interest in the new Moog synth, reality is, I'd be much more likely to send my LP in for the CV out mod, than to buy a new synth at this point. Having the CV outs would open a whole new world for my 2 current foogers, which presently sit off to the side unused.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:54 pm

May go without saying but anybody with CV or modular aspirations ought to find and buy a 2nd hand MP-201.... OR a Kenton Pro... or maybe even start up a very small cabinet. $185 bucks gets you this: http://www.synthesizers.com/q104.html which offers more functionality than just Pitch CV and Gate as Minibrute or the Max 49 offers.

Many people get turned off by the cost of entry of modular; it doesn't have to be that way, you can cobble together a DIY power supply and a simple makeshift rack or box using some strips of wood across a normal 19" rack like this:
IMG_2873.jpeg
It's really just a 5/8" square x 18 7/8" attached beneath the rack rails with some zip ties. I didn't drill any holes into this rank yet but it works like a charm.
IMG_2874.jpeg
OR... if you want the king of low-cost analog with CV outs, pickup one of these Little Phatty's w/CV out that people are dumping for $900 bucks. The great great part is that it has Filter and VCA envelope outs in addition to LFO via mod-bus.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:38 pm

Well... as memorable canadienne, Celine Dion once remarked ~ "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!" ~ If you want ALL the bells and whistles do what I did ~ Buy an XL! :P Meanwhile, until we see a VX-351 style breakout box, or some other solution along those lines ~ this REVOLUTION 2 style functionality will be most very welcome on my T3 and Phatty 8)
GovernorSilver wrote:Like I said, mr pete, that's great, but where's the CV outputs?
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:25 pm

thealien666 wrote:Another important concern, already mentioned I believe, is that; will the Pitch CV input (if there is one) be of the standard 1.00 volt/oct, or some screwed up value like on all the Voyagers ?
I wish some people would stop saying that based on one out of tune unit or some urban legend read somewhere (these tend to spread and stick like crazy).

I knew my OS was performing to specs (1v/oct) but to be sure, before writing this message, I just took my best multimeter out and I measured all over again. When that was done, I took my second best multimeter and did the measurements again. They both agreed.

Results : 1.0026 volts per octave, which is entirely satisfactory to me.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Portamental wrote: Results : 1.0026 volts per octave, which is entirely satisfactory to me.
Consider yourself lucky. Back when I had my OS, it was almost .4 volts off. And my best friend's OS is also quite off the mark... I guess not every Voyager is made equal as far as pitch CV goes...? BTW, both were bought brand new.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:20 pm

thealien666 wrote:Consider yourself lucky....
Could be. Everything Moog I bought has been very good to me.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:22 am

misterpete wrote:Well... as memorable canadienne, Celine Dion once remarked ~ "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!" ~ If you want ALL the bells and whistles do what I did ~ Buy an XL! :P
Nah, if I want all the bells and whistles, I'd buy a modular.

As the French say, "pas grave". I'm sure Moog will eventually offer a CV output (I believe this is called "tension de commande" en francais) modification for the Sub Phatty if it is not there already in the production model.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:47 am

"Pas grave" haha :lol:

It's been said here before, and I checked with the dimensions announced on GearSlutz -unofficially: I think the SubPhatty will share the Little Phatty profile and cheeks. Hence the ones we could see in the vid.

I also think that CV outs will be available for the Sub Phatty just as for the Little Phatty: as an option.

BTW, I'm receiving a CV'd out Phatty next week. Mine might go to a friend of mine as soon as I have tried polychain duophony :)

~Sinedrifter~

Post by ~Sinedrifter~ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:26 am

Stiiiiiiiiive, you're going to enjoy the duophonic experience! Get yourself a MIDIPal (if you don't have one already), and rack up a bunch of midi-capable analogs for some crazy polyphonic arrangements! 8)