Sorry, not Moog related - The Who/Baba O'Riley

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
BrianK

Post by BrianK » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:56 am

Lots of famous "synth" tracks of The Who are not synths at all, although Pete is well-versed in synthesis.

He calls the Lowrey organ the "Berkshire" which is indeed the model name on that TB0-1 organ. It did the Baba track.

Same organ processed through the VCS-3 made "Fooled Again".

Eminence Front is the Yamaha Electone organ.

"Who Are You" is fuzz guitar into the ARP2600 (not the 2500, which he also had) with filtration and ringmod.

panamabirthcanal

Post by panamabirthcanal » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Its a lowrey though an ems S&H setting. Look up video on youtube, he gives a demonstration and actually improvises on it. But he uses a 2600 in the video, which sounds just as good.

joebuck

Post by joebuck » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:29 am

panamabirthcanal wrote:Its a lowrey though an ems S&H setting. Look up video on youtube, he gives a demonstration and actually improvises on it. But he uses a 2600 in the video, which sounds just as good.
You're not talking about Baba O'Reilly because that's just the organ.

panamabirthcanal

Post by panamabirthcanal » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:31 pm

Nope organ through sample and hold on EMS VCS3 and in the video, he uses arp 2600 instead, but definitely S&H

panamabirthcanal

Post by panamabirthcanal » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:34 pm

Pete, on the organ sound for Won’t Get Fooled Again and Baba O’Riley:

I used gated Lowrey organ via EMS VCS3 gated filter. No sequencer. I got my ARP 2500 system (huge) just after I’d recorded the first few demos for Who’s Next. Baba O’Riley was a cheat. I couldn’t get the sequencers and mix-sequencers on the ARP under my fingers fast enough so I emulated sequencing and tape delays using the Marimba Arpeggiator effect on my Lowrey Berkshire.

joebuck

Post by joebuck » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:57 am

panamabirthcanal wrote:Pete, on the organ sound for Won’t Get Fooled Again and Baba O’Riley:

I used gated Lowrey organ via EMS VCS3 gated filter. No sequencer. I got my ARP 2500 system (huge) just after I’d recorded the first few demos for Who’s Next. Baba O’Riley was a cheat. I couldn’t get the sequencers and mix-sequencers on the ARP under my fingers fast enough so I emulated sequencing and tape delays using the Marimba Arpeggiator effect on my Lowrey Berkshire.
So in the first half of that quote he's referring to what he did in Won't get fooled again, and in the second half he's referring to Baba O'riley. You can clearly hear that the sound is filtered on Won't Get Fooled again but not on Baba O'Riley. Here's a link to a kid messing around on a Lowrey playing that part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA7Y5f_C ... re=related

Rob Smith

Post by Rob Smith » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:11 pm

Thanks Joe for the youtube clip. its funny sometimes the best sounds are just creative and simple.

FlametopFred

Size of the organ that matters

Post by FlametopFred » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:21 pm

Many home organs integrate sophisticated "synth" type features.

I had the Electone E-70 (and E-75 and D-85) for a number of years.
They are pretty amazing synths. Not sure what else to call them. Instruments, I guess.

What I liked best was punching a red button and getting a horn sound.
None of this egghead remembering patch numbers and hitting numbers on a keypad.

In the olden days memory was something in your brain.

gd

Post by gd » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:32 pm

nice to see you back on here BK, hope you had fun at the SuperBowl. Looking fwd to hearing how the staging and all went together for the show when we next see each other.
Mini D, P'08 ..

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:26 pm

Electrong wrote:
This is correct. Not a synth. Those who don't believe haven't heard the Lowrey organ.
Speaking of the Lowrey, I saw one on Ebay the other day. For a pretty penny mind you, but nonetheless..
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

MoogMusicFan81

Re: Sorry, not Moog related - The Who/Baba O'Riley

Post by MoogMusicFan81 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:28 am

For those of you who own a Minimoog, what would be the approximate combination to dial on the instrument to re-create the "Baba O'Riley" sound?

Also: The organ track of "Join Together" was also created on the Lowrey TBO1 organ, which appears two bars before Roger Daltrey sings the first verse. It is set up the same way as "Baba O'Riley," except at a slower speed; and it's also fed through a low-pass filter which can be heard on the demo version.

The Jew's harp intro was made with the ARP 2600, which sounds like a 4- or 8-bar loop upon which Pete Townshend had built the rest of the song on.

~Ben