Predictions for new Moog Products this year

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
misterpete

Re: Predictions for new Moog Products this year

Post by misterpete » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:14 pm

Yes +++ Touch Surface Control :D

YES , again! A little menu diving always pays off, and then there's always the SoundTower, editor
But maybe that's not what "anti-parameter" means - after all they're all parameters no matter how you go about using them via Menus, Software, Physical patch cords or just tweaking the knobs...

:idea: Good idea :idea: ~ Maybe there's an opportunity here for MOOG to make an expanded Touch Surface Controller iOS app with a breakout box ~ to work like the external touch pad you are asking for. :?:
ColorForm2113 wrote:I love the touch pad! I think it is a brilliant and expressive addition to the voyager. I'm not afraid of doing a little menu diving though (which really takes the voyager to new levels if you spend the time...pot mapping, filter poles, x, y, z, gate, keyboard modes, mod sources and destinations) I would love to see them put out an extrenal touch pad that sends midi and cv, I would buy a couple of them :mrgreen:
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

museslave

Post by museslave » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:29 pm

By "anti-parameter," I mean that I prefer knob-per-function without parametric displays. I seem to be part of a once-large-now-dwindling group of people who want all functions to be immediately accessible— for performance, physical interaction, and creative spark. I prefer my synthesizers to be machines and not dots I see through a glowing window. :)

Kenneth wrote:
museslave wrote:Bitter Old Man Moment: Stop wanting everything smaller and easier. Creativity is NEVER about convenience and simplicity. :)
Agreed. Marc, I understand you work for BMF. This may not mean you have inside info at Moog's work, but I'm curious to hear your speculation. What do you think is in store for this year?
Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to comment on that!

As for the touchpad— I also agree that it is not ergonomic. I think it would be much better on each key. :)
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:06 pm

museslave wrote:By "anti-parameter," I mean that I prefer knob-per-function without parametric displays. I seem to be part of a once-large-now-dwindling group of people who want all functions to be immediately accessible— for performance, physical interaction, and creative spark. I prefer my synthesizers to be machines and not dots I see through a glowing window. :)

Kenneth wrote:
museslave wrote:Bitter Old Man Moment: Stop wanting everything smaller and easier. Creativity is NEVER about convenience and simplicity. :)
Agreed. Marc, I understand you work for BMF. This may not mean you have inside info at Moog's work, but I'm curious to hear your speculation. What do you think is in store for this year?
Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to comment on that!

As for the touchpad— I also agree that it is not ergonomic. I think it would be much better on each key. :)
touch pad power key NOW we're talking.... I know buchla has it not quite keys though, and I believe there was a moog prototype way back when that had that too.

I know what you meant by anti-parameter but as long as the work flow is easy (blofeld) and knobs outnumber menus (voyager) im good
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:30 pm

I prefer having one knob per function too, but having the extra options for deeper levels that weren't even available in the old days, certainly doesn't get in the way, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not sure the number of people who prefer analog synths is necessarily dwindling. Sure laptops, iOS and every kind of cheap digital product are all available now but just think how many MORE real analog MOOG synths are out in the world today overall.
Undoubtedly, the two markets intersect and in my case, it was actually a software synth - Urs Heckman's ACE ~ (which has an onscreen emulation of physical patch cords) that finally led me to dig in and start hankering after a REAL semi-modular and eventually buy my first Moog ~ an Electric Blue VOYAGER.

Once any of us experience playing a Voyager, I think it's hard to be satisfied with the sound OR interface of a softsynth. As for NEW digital breakthroughs ~ I love ANIMOOG, especially as a controller ~ but that cool glassy 80s sound* really reminds me of the KORG M-1. The retail price of a new Korg M-1 when it was released was about $5G which is more less the same as an XL Voyager today, whereas Animoog was just 99¢ + the price of an iPad. One shudders to think what Keith Emerson had to pay for his Moog but I think I read it was in the $100 G range? So naturally, money is a big factor...comparing so-called 'popularity' vs. access - and then again ~ the kind of popularity of what actually makes it on to hit records, and what people want to hear vs what they can afford to buy across various pro and consumer markets 8)

*EDIT: I am actually really blown away by animoog again tonight, after doing some recording with it and the tauri ~ it sounds so organic especially through a fooger - but it's hard to separate the cold digital sound of it when you play it with an external keyboard vs. the sound you get when you play it's own slippery slidey ribbony touch surface like keyboard which tends to make it very organic sounding just in itself.
museslave wrote:By "anti-parameter," I mean that I prefer knob-per-function without parametric displays. I seem to be part of a once-large-now-dwindling group of people who want all functions to be immediately accessible— for performance, physical interaction, and creative spark. I prefer my synthesizers to be machines and not dots I see through a glowing window. :)
Please Call Me, PETE

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:48 pm

here it is:

http://www.moogmusic.com/sight-and-soun ... -next-moog

Looks pretty cool, and I could believe it being an affordable option!
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

timmy

Post by timmy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:50 pm

appears kind of Little Phatty -ish

maybe it will be "The LittleTaur"

or "The Micro Phatty"
Go analog: Moog Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Tom Oberheim
Go plastic: Roland, Yamaha, Korg

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:41 pm

Looks like it works fine without having an Operating System.

I hope they ditch those wheels.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:45 pm

Where do we sign up to place our orders...? 8)
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:48 pm

i think they just grabbed a phatty LHC fr demo purposes. but it sounds amazing! 2 vco + sub osc and noise (better than the voyagers or phattys from what i can tell in the brief seconds it was played) was hopping for a multi filter but the classic is always good and im excited about the multi drive, i think this will be a definite win. and if the rumors are true that its going to be under $1000 *mind blown*

apparently there is a new pedal too...cant wait to see that now!
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

Vince Ascoli

Post by Vince Ascoli » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:51 pm

...aaaaand we won't be selling the Memorymoog! :?

I need to see & hear a lot more, before I get into this.
Voyager Select Maple Jade, Voyager Aluminum, Xpander, OB-8, Prophet~6, Virus Ti Pølar, DX5

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Looks cool, but I hope they do something to really set it apart from the Minibrute. Moog is known for innovation, not copying successful products. Definitely a 1 osc monosynth though. Hopefully they take it easy on the price tag.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

filtered

Post by filtered » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:57 pm

Didn't that floating diagram show 2 Oscs, plus the sub? I'd like to hear the saw, but the square sounded nice for sure! And the multidrive would be a selling point for me, plus that more in-your-face noise! Can't wait to see it all wrapped up!

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:14 pm

I had a look at the video with Herb. I'm afraid Moog Music is only playing catch-up with Arturia's very successful Minibrute, unfortunately. So far, nothing to write home about... 2 oscillators, one with an added suboscillator, a classic Moog filter than can be overdriven to heavily distort the sound, only 2 octaves keyboard and wheels... If the casing is made out of wood, you can expect a hefty price tag... :(

We'll see the final specs and look at the end of the month I guess, at the NAMM 2013 show...oh, and its final name too.

(btw, Kenneth, Herb did say "these oscillators..." and the superimposed diagram did show 2 oscillator blocks and a sub feature for the first one.)
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:16 pm

misterpete wrote:The retail price of a new Korg M-1 when it was released was about $5G
which is more or less the same as an XL Voyager today, whereas
Animoog was just 99¢ + the price of an iPad.
Hi misterpete,

Wow! Which store was charging more than double the M1's US retail
value of $2,166?

I got mine a few months after it was released (1988) for only $1,899.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:57 pm

SAVED BY TECHNOLOGY, in Toronto Canada ~ that was the year it came out
when it was the cover girl on the front of KEYBOARD magazine.

That DOES sound like a crazy markup but I specifically remember because I had to get a bank loan to finance it! Whatever, price they paid I bet there must have been a whole lot of us kids crying when we finally got one of those hyped up Korg M-1s home and it didn't sound ANYTHING like a Moog :cry:

i still have it ~ it's got a few good points... 4 audio outs ~ and a nice aftertouch MIDI controller on that plasticky keyboard, and hell anything sounds good thru a moogerfooger.

on the plus side with everybody dumping stuff (when it's no longer in fashion) you can probably get an M-1 for $100 on Craigslist ~ that's what I paid for my DX-7! - or the real amazing miracles like the Clav & Rhodes which were actually free other than having to pay to get them back in good working order... which I wouldn't do for an M-1 but hell yeah the Clavinet ~ gotta love a D6!!! :D
_DemonDan_ wrote:
misterpete wrote:The retail price of a new Korg M-1 when it was released was about $5G
which is more or less the same as an XL Voyager today, whereas
Animoog was just 99¢ + the price of an iPad.
Hi misterpete,

Wow! Which store was charging more than double the M1's US retail
value of $2,166?

I got mine a few months after it was released (1988) for only $1,899.
Please Call Me, PETE