No more Moogfest.

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
analoghaze

No more Moogfest.

Post by analoghaze » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:31 pm

Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

w00fa

Re: No more Moogfest.

Post by w00fa » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:04 am

I just hope that the refusal to re-license the 'Moogfest' trademark means Moog Music Inc. will be doing their own thing (i.e., host their own festival). Although, I realize that I'm probably fooling myself into thinking this, seeing as the company is reducing its operations with each passing day. This is fine by me, as long as they allocate available resources towards manufacturing and innovation. Although, A little tradition goes a long way. Especially @ Moog.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Moog, as a company, and from what I hear, is no longer the enterprise it used to be. Apparently, it is now a 'boutique' brand that is maintained by a handful of people. Nevertheless, I'd hate to see my favorite brand go downhill. Perhaps this is a result of Robert's passing. He was really passionate about his baby. (It's happening @ Apple, as a result of Steve Jobs' passing.)

Bottom - emotional - line; I would love to see this entire post discarded, by someone who knows better, and for Moog Music to have many more successful decades ahead of it. To be perfectly honest, I'd pay/donate any sum of money to keep this company afloat.

Writing this made me really sad.

MC

Post by MC » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:01 am

I visited the company in 1996, 2001, 2004, and 2009. I saw growth each time and their business did not get impacted by the recent recession. They're been making the moogerfooger pedals during that whole time which can hardly be "boutique". They have repackage some of the MF pedals in the 500 format and the Taurus 3 in the Minituar. Mike Adams is a smart business man, Cyril Lance is doing a good job filling Bob's shoes, Amos is more than competent as their firmware developer, and they have a good marketing and support team. They just purchased their own building after years of leasing and outgrowing their previous three locations. That doesn't fit my definition of "going downhill" so the sky is not falling.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

w00fa

Post by w00fa » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:26 am

Uhhhh... phew? :)

Thank you for clarifying. I was just worried.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:07 pm

There is still going to be an electronic music fest in ashville around halloween, which is cool. It probably won't have all the fun side stuff like hands on demos and discussion panels (I'm assuming), that kinda sucks.

I would be interested to why moog and ae (i think thats right) parted ways on the fest
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:32 pm

It probably has more to do with size of the festival, and all of the joys that humans bring to such an event. As an organizer / responsible business, Moog would assume some liability with their name on it. To continue the tradition of awesome music hardware and software as a small company, I would be cautious with hosting such a large event. There is a point where the business suffers due to organization of all of the different things that are associated with such a party! Not to say that this happened here, but it's probably closer to the truth than any statements have indicated.

Sometimes it's better, safer and smarter to remain a sponsor, and let the party organizers take over, after all, Moog makes music equipment, and AC hosts parties. Sticking to what you're passionate about is best.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:16 pm

I was hoping to attend next year's MoogFest. Oh well.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:26 pm

Let's be honest...how many musicians at Moogfest have actually been Moog artists lately? :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

museslave

Post by museslave » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:13 pm

www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:29 pm

We had an amazing trip to Moogfest this year, our first ~ loved the panel you moderated with Herb Deutsch, Mark! Thank you for that. The panels, the MOOG factory and the BMF events were the top highlights for me. Morton Subotnick and his Buchla too ~ that whole Diana theatre venue was really great! And the VIP ticket hotel couldn't have been nicer.

Contrary to the above posters fears, not only is MOOG as solid as can be ~ Asheville is a very lovely, totally healthy and vibrant city. Very positive local art/music filled with good restaurants and a thriving retail scene. The countryside around it is out of this world beautiful too! We're looking forward to going back and doing some hiking in those hills, next time hopefully with a little better weather. We actually drove down from Toronto and it was really gorgeous all weekend until Hurricane Sandy rolled in and hit the coast the night before the day after the festival.We made a short stop at Fallingwater that morning and then we drove back through it more less avoiding the worst of the storm though there was some blinding snow and a few nasty accidents in Maryland.

I wish I had been there for 2011 [TERRY RILEY!!!!] or any other previous Moogfests ~ but thrilled I at least got to be there for 2012. I would definitely come back for future MOOG and BMF sponsored events ~ I don't think I'll miss the 'arena-rock' direction the festival promoters were taking it.
museslave wrote:http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20 ... -new-event

Here, Chicken Little.
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:38 am

They actually sent out a mailer stating that Moogfest wasn't going anywhere.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:55 am

Just won't be the same date. I wonder if they'll move the location.