minimoog filter not responding!?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Keith collins

minimoog filter not responding!?

Post by Keith collins » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:14 am

hey,
i'm just getting started in learning about synths, and i happened upon a minimoog for sale in great condition. so i bought it, and now that i'm going through the operation manual it would seem the filter doesn't work. i get a response in volume when i turn the cutoff knob, but for the most part nothing really happens.
i noticed there are fuses in the back lined up with the filter knobs, is it possible the fuses need replacing? any other ideas of what could be wrong?

i should add that everything else works flawlessly... the wood/keys are in great shape, so whatever is wrong, i don't think it would be from not taking care of it... please help!

thanks,
-keith

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:13 am

The fuse only ralte to the internal power supply. If these are blown, the Minimoog would not make a sound at all.

Maybe the envelope amount (labeled: "Amount of Contur") is set to max. An dthe filter envelope is set to a organ like envelope.

- No cable in the filter input in the back.
- Turn of all the oscillators in the Mixer section.
- Turn the Noise on and set its level to 10.
- Turn resonance (labeled: "Emphasis") to zero.
- Turn the AMOUNT OF CONTUR to zero.
- Now turn the filter CUTOFF FREQUENCY knob fully clockwise and anti-clockwise.

If the sound does not change, then some thing is very strange or broken :?
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Till "Qwave" Kopper

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/]Squarewave Group[/url] member "waldorfian_qwave"

Keith collins

Post by Keith collins » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:02 pm

okay,
i did all those things and all the contour frequency does is act like a volume. when i turn it clockwise it turns the noise level down and when i turn it counter clockwise it turns the noise level up.

something must be broken :(

the guy i bought it from said it was working for him when he played it just a week ago. he seems very interested in helping me by returning my calls and emails, so i can't imagine he's lying. perhaps he just didn't know it was broken.

anyone know a good tech in the seattle area?

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:07 pm

Ofcause does the volume change when the cutoff frequency is lowered. This is due to the more filtered higher frequency conent. But the sound character should change to. clockwise it sould get brighter. counter-clockwise it should get dull and "low".
Because you stated in your first posting you are a beginner, I might tell you things you might know already and apear obvious to you.

So if the sound character is not changing and only the volume changes, then your unit is faulty.

Till "Qwave" Kopper

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/]Squarewave Group[/url] member "waldorfian_qwave"

Keith collins

Post by Keith collins » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:30 pm

the change in "character" is hardly noticable, if at all. since this is the legendary filter everyone raves about, i have to assume it's supposed to do more than this.

i'm was wondering if this is an unusual problem... do the filters in minimoogs go "bad"? i suppose there is no way of knowing without opening it up... i'll leave that to the tech.

i really appreciate you taking your time to help me out.
any more input you have would be great.
please assume i have no idea what i'm doing.

thanks

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:27 am

I never heard of a Minimoog with this kind of problem.

Till "Qwave" Kopper

Array

Post by Array » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:30 pm

Why not post a sound clip for us?

Keith collins

Post by Keith collins » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:59 pm

there's really nothing to post.
it would just sound like a voume swell.

Array

Post by Array » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:43 pm

Keith collins wrote:there's really nothing to post.
it would just sound like a voume swell.
still, you may get a few more responses.